• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio bonding. I think they may be finally bonded.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Tonight, when I finish work, I will be trying to bond Shadowfax, Fiver and Xena. :shock:

They have seen each other out in the garden when they have been in different runs and are all very interested in each other. There's been no referred aggression between Xena and Fiver (this was my biggest worry). Shadowfax seems to really want to be with them, and there hasn't been any aggressive behaviour from any of them, just interest. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

I can't tell you how terrified I am of trying this!! :shock:

Please send lots of bonding vibes!

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes!! Hope it works out:love:

I want to try Charlie with Donny and Lola but need to wait until next year :(

Good luck.
I tried to bond a new girl to my bonded m/f pair earlier in the year, I found her as a stray so wanted to give it a go. There was no major fights or anything, just the two girls didn't really get along, a bit niggly , but with hindsight I don't think I neutralised the hutch and run sufficiently, and I think my old girl was a bit territorial because of this. In the end I opted to get her her own husbun so I now have two pairs (or I will have when, fingers crossed, the bond is cemented - I'm on day 3 and so far it's mostly going ok). Luckily, the original bonded pair stayed bonded, as often that can be a risk.

Just read that back and it sound very pessimistic, sorry about that, I didn't mean it too. I hope it all works out for the trio, I think my attempt only failed because I didn't do things right.
Sending you lots of happy bonding vibes. :D

Last edited:
Good luck.
I tried to bond a new girl to my bonded m/f pair earlier in the year, I found her as a stray so wanted to give it a go. There was no major fights or anything, just the two girls didn't really get along, a bit niggly , but with hindsight I don't think I neutralised the hutch and run sufficiently, and I think my old girl was a bit territorial because of this. In the end I opted to get her her own husbun so I now have two pairs (or I will have when, fingers crossed, the bond is cemented - I'm on day 3 and so far it's mostly going ok). Luckily, the original bonded pair stayed bonded, as often that can be a risk.

Just read that back and it sound very pessimistic, sorry about that, I didn't mean it too. I hope it all works out for the trio, I think my attempt only failed because I didn't do things right.
Sending you lots of happy bonding vibes. :D

No, no it didn't sound pessimistic at all. :) Tbh, if I had the money, time and space, I wouldn't even have attempted a trio and would have just gotten her a husbun, but as it is, I can only keep her if they bond.

So, they have been together for about an hour. At first it was complete chaos with Fiver humping Xena and Xena humping Shadowfax at the same time!! :shock: Shadowfax is absolutely petrified of both of them, mainly Xena. I thought it wasn't going to work, Shadowfax was thumping and running round and round the pen and Xena was lunging as she ran past.
Things have calmed down now and Shadowfax has had a bit of a munch of hay, but looks absolutely terrified still, bless her. Fiver is in the tray eating hay and Xena is laying down having a rest.
There's fur EVERYWHERE. :shock: I think Fiver and Xena want to be friends with Shadowfax, but Shadowfax is so scared that she just thumps and runs off whenever they get close.

As I said that Xena hopped right up to Shadowfax (who is cornered) and started eating hay from UNDER her! :shock:

I'm not sure if it is going well. :? They will eat together quite happily, but Shadowfax keeps bowing her head to them and neither Fiver and Xena are happy about it. They hump her and then she runs off and they chase. I thought she'd be submissive, but it looks like I'm wrong. If she doesn't submit, then it's simply not going to work. :cry:

Ok, so far Shadowfax is still scared of Xena, but they are occasionally eating together, as soon as Xena makes a move towards her she thumps and races away. Xena will hump Shadowfax repeatedly and nip her until she runs off. Fiver doesn't really seem bothered with her, but has humped her too.
Shadowfax does lower her head to them (which is obviously asking to be groomed), but she seems to be trying to make herself as low and flat as possible, I don't know if she's just petrified or is being insistent in being dominant.

Does anybody think if this will work out? Or is this going to be a failed bond? :(

Sorry just dont know the answer. At least they are not full on fighting.

Very best of luck. I am dreading doing my six ...

Sorry just dont know the answer. At least they are not full on fighting.

Very best of luck. I am dreading doing my six ...

6!? :shock: Wow, I do not envy you! :lol:

Things have settled down. Tbh, I thought that this wasn't going to work, Xena was just chasing Shadowfax round and round, even when there was fresh hay to distract her. She's lost a lot of fur, bless her, but no injuries or bald patches.

As the day has worn on, they seem to have settled down. Xena has stopped chasing, but is still nipping her. They were all sat in the litter tray munching hay, happily for about 10 mins earlier with no arguments.

Shadowfax won't lay next to them, but clearly wants to be near them. They haven't been ignoring each other and I have seen Shadowfax either sniffing or grooming Fiver very briefly.

I honestly don't know if this is good or bad, but it's better than it was earlier, that's for sure! :lol:

I'm no expert but I think it doesn't sound too bad, it sounds like normal bunny bonding stuff, chasing, nipping etc, they are not fighting so to me it's going well. And if its getting less and less even just a bit then thats progress! It is exhausting isn't it, you worry so much about them don't you, and I bet they are all just taking it in their stride bunny style.

I know nothing about bonding buns, so can't help you unfortunately, although I hope to be bonding my Slipper with a doe if all goes well.

I have my fingers crossed it all works out for you and the buns. I've never seen a picture of Shadowfax, but I love her name - I loved Shadowfax in LOTR! If you do have to rehome her, please keep me in mind, I may be interested in her if I am unsuccessful in my current adoption bid of the beautiful Mitsy in Newcastle

I know nothing about bonding buns, so can't help you unfortunately, although I hope to be bonding my Slipper with a doe if all goes well.

I have my fingers crossed it all works out for you and the buns. I've never seen a picture of Shadowfax, but I love her name - I loved Shadowfax in LOTR! If you do have to rehome her, please keep me in mind, I may be interested in her if I am unsuccessful in my current adoption bid of the beautiful Mitsy in Newcastle

Well, we named her Shadowfax, but she is in fact a black bunny! :lol: So she doesn't look like the Shadowfax from LOTR, but three of us decided her name and we all loved it for her. I don't think "Galadriel" would have been appropriate! :lol: I will certainly bear you in mind. :)

I've just watched Fiver giving her a good groom! :love: I've only seen him groom her (and nip her) when he's been humping her and he didn't even try to mount her this time! They are both sat in the litter tray munching hay, I got a pic of them all together in the tray earlier today, but that was only because they had been given fresh hay. :lol:

Well, we named her Shadowfax, but she is in fact a black bunny! :lol: So she doesn't look like the Shadowfax from LOTR, but three of us decided her name and we all loved it for her. I don't think "Galadriel" would have been appropriate! :lol: I will certainly bear you in mind. :)

I've just watched Fiver giving her a good groom! :love: I've only seen him groom her (and nip her) when he's been humping her and he didn't even try to mount her this time! They are both sat in the litter tray munching hay, I got a pic of them all together in the tray earlier today, but that was only because they had been given fresh hay. :lol:

Aww bless, you will have to upload that pic :D. I love black bunnies, I've never had the pleasure of serving one though. Mitsy, who I'm after, is black with blue eyes and totally stunning :love: I'll be really upset if I'm unsuccessful in adopting her.

No, I was never a fan of Galadriel, I love the name Shadowfax as well as the horse so a beautiful name for a beautiful bunny :love:

I've only just seen this. I think you're really brave!! How are they getting on this morning? Have you had a sleepless night?
I know virtually nothing about bonding (had to take new bun back to the rescue last weekend after a failed bond), so can't advise at all, but I really hope this works out for you!

Well, I'm feel much more positive about this! :thumb: Last night was quiet, and I was only woken up once at half 6 by a bit of chasing. I topped their hay up and it settled straight back down.
Rosie (my dog) woke me up at half 8 by sticking her nose in my face and whining. :lol: So I got up and let her out and fed the bunnies...Shadowfax is still completely uninterested in excel pellets! :roll: I've ordered some more probiotic ones, but she is NOT having them as her main pellet at over £11 a tub! :lol: I think I might try her with some SS pellets, but I've always been worried about using them due the risk of choking.

Just now as I was sat here, Shadowfax was laid away from Fiver and Xena, she suddenly jumped up and ran over to where they were and happy flopped nearby! :love: I've never seen her happy flop before. She did it yesterday in her litter tray, but I couldn't see her properly, I just knew because I saw her fling herself sideways. :lol: The fact that she decided to happy flop near them, I'm sure, proves that she is actually quite happy to have them near her. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of that....but I did get a brilliant pic of her happy flop about 5 mins later next to the litter tray! :love:

This is the first and only happy flop pic I have of her...and omg, she is SOOOOOOOO cute! :love:

Back