• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Set-up Ideas For This Space?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Suggestions appreciated for this set-up space to house a rabbit (see photo below). It is approx 8ft X 6ft:

This is Dylan's set-up next to the space (I'm contemplating getting another rabbit in the near future with the possibility of eventually bonding them with Dylan, hence my question):

Any ideas appreciated :)

Last edited:
I'm sure someone would have much better ideas than me but seeing as you've already got the run, I'd personally get a raised bed and plant all sorts of nommy bunny foods in it, like parsley, carrot, mint etc!

Or if you wanted something actually set up, turf it, put a run down and snake a runaround tunnel around it, leading from the shed to the run but making it a long one so it's more exciting going into the tunnel?

I'm sure someone would have much better ideas than me but seeing as you've already got the run, I'd personally get a raised bed and plant all sorts of nommy bunny foods in it, like parsley, carrot, mint etc!
Or if you wanted something actually set up, turf it, put a run down and snake a runaround tunnel around it, leading from the shed to the run but making it a long one so it's more exciting going into the tunnel?

Great ideas but the free space needs to house another bunny :)

If you adopt Dylan's friend from a rescue they might bond them for you? Then they can go straight back in together, no need to build anything else? :)

Aivery style run fixed to the shed. You can put a large hutch inside it (with a fairly flat roof so rabbit can get on top as well as inside) then, once bonded with Dylan they can have the run of the whole place.

Yep, I'd do an aviary then you can cat flap through to the shed. But, I agree, easiest thing would be to bond them straight away, although, if you set up the aviary and then timed it right you could pop them in that for bonding and it would be nice neutral space :)

Thanks for your replies everyone :thumb:

Yes an aviary set-up sounds good although it would need to be fox proof as in the past foxes have been known to be in the local vicinity.

Where would I go about finding aviary type housing suppliers that don't cater just for birds!?

Yes ideally a bond pre housing would be good so i could keep Dylan's current housing.

However rehoming rescue-wise:
1/ I don't know of any local rescues that would bond for me
2/ Dylan has intermittent health problems so i'm reluctant for him to go off to a strange place to be bonded
3/ He gets v stressed travelling
4/ If the bond breaks down at any point I'd be left with no where to house the other rabbit!
5/ Is there ever a case where a rabbit just won't bond with another? Dylan does get quite jealous & can be very territorial - would a bond be successful with a bunny like him or am I crazy to be considering it?
6/ Are the risks higher the older the rabbit is for neutering-he is not neutered so that would need addressing!?

Any advice appreciated!

If it was m I'd put a large run on that side and split the shed down the middle. That way once you have bonded them you can remove the partition and they can enjoy all the space.

For a separate set up you would need to use all (or nearly all) the space there, which is 48sqft (RWAF minimum is 44sqft). A run with a hutch attached/inside or an aviary would be best, or you could split the shed as someone suggested. But tbh I don't think you need to buy a whole new setup, a temporary hutch will be good enough whilst you bond (see below).

I agree that finding a rescue that will take back the bun if the bond doesn't work would be best. I understand you not wanting your bun to travel, he doesn't have to. Go to a decent rescue, pick out a bun that you think is suitable for his personality, take bun home and put in temporary hutch. Over next few days alternate use of the run between the buns and also do bonding activities like swapping litter trays etc. Then start bonding. If bond goes well put both buns in shed and you also now have a nice snuggly hutch to put in the shed for winter. If bond goes badly then work out why they are not compatible and take bun back and get another that is more suitable now you know what personality traits to avoid.

For a separate set up you would need to use all (or nearly all) the space there, which is 48sqft (RWAF minimum is 44sqft). A run with a hutch attached/inside or an aviary would be best, or you could split the shed as someone suggested. But tbh I don't think you need to buy a whole new setup, a temporary hutch will be good enough whilst you bond (see below).

I agree that finding a rescue that will take back the bun if the bond doesn't work would be best. I understand you not wanting your bun to travel, he doesn't have to. Go to a decent rescue, pick out a bun that you think is suitable for his personality, take bun home and put in temporary hutch. Over next few days alternate use of the run between the buns and also do bonding activities like swapping litter trays etc. Then start bonding. If bond goes well put both buns in shed and you also now have a nice snuggly hutch to put in the shed for winter. If bond goes badly then work out why they are not compatible and take bun back and get another that is more suitable now you know what personality traits to avoid.

Oh I didn't realise that would be possible to do that!
Thanks everyone for your input-will put my thinking cap on now :)

Back