• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you replace your litter tray?

bethepoet

Mama Doe
Not just clean it out but actually buy a new tray? Mine are a few months old, probably approaching a year and they're quite scratched up from digging and whatnot :)roll:). I deep-clean once a week but I can't get it 100% and I wonder if there are nasties hidden away in the nooks and crannies.

Luckily mine don't seem to dig in them so it was 2 years before I replaced my last ones!

Can't say the same for my carrier though... that's scratched to buggery... I kinda wish they'd scratch the £3.50 litter trays not the £30 carrier :lol::roll:

Do you use the litter tray kind or the underbed storage boxes? I think the underbed storage boxes might be harder to scratch if that might be worth a try?

My corner one needs replacing. It's got like..not limescale, but stuff that no matter HOW hard I scrub, bleach, soak etc WILL NOT COME OFF :evil: it's like wee-y litter that has just stuck on and it won't budge! So I need a new one of those :roll: and mums best friend who looked after the bunnies when we went away managed to crack Alfie and Rosy's underbed storage crate so that also needs replacing!:roll:

Yeah I do use the underbed storage boxes already :lol:

Harriet loves to dig, they have a cheapo pet carrier in there as a hidey hole and she digs a lot there too but that's holding up very well, her nails just seem to slip over the smooth plastic rather than dig in.

But yes, I think it's time for new trays, just in case. The guinea pigs need one too because theirs is covered in exactly what you describe, Jemima. Little toilet machines, they are. I'm dreading because I had to cut a 'door' out for them because they can't jump over the edge like the rabbits do and it was really hard, I cut myself several times on sharp, cracked plastic :lol:

Would it be super trampy of me to disinfect them and use them for their intended purpose? :lol: They're only going to be under my bed holding books/other rubbish from around the house that we can't get rid of for some reason, I don't need them to be sparkly new.

If you boil up some vinegar in a pan and pour it in, give it a wipe and all the scummy stuff comes off. I had to do it twice in one really well-used litter tray :lol: But works really well and they looked like new after.

Ooooh, I'm going to do this tomorrow. Would it work just putting the vinegar on and then boiling water, or mixing the two together, or do I actually have to boil the vinegar itself? The smell makes me wretch a bit, I don't fancy a vinegar sauna in my kitchen/living room :mrgreen:

Ooooh, I'm going to do this tomorrow. Would it work just putting the vinegar on and then boiling water, or mixing the two together, or do I actually have to boil the vinegar itself? The smell makes me wretch a bit, I don't fancy a vinegar sauna in my kitchen/living room :mrgreen:

It's worth a try! Seriously it stank the kitchen out... :lol: I'm glad I did it when I was home alone so no one could complain!

I just pour neat white vinegar on it and leave it for 15 mins or something then it should lift off. Longer you can leave it easier it is

Cold vinegar works best if soaked overnight, if you add boiling water it works quicker and if you boil the actual vinegar it takes mins to get your litter trays like new. I've had my trays for years and after a vinegar blitz they look as good as when I bought them.

:lol: Mischa ate a huge chuck out of one of those corner ones, how he didn't get a blockage I'll never know.

I used to use just cheap cat litter trays... Pound shop ones, and Charlie then took to eating them. He ate through the sides :shock: Use a storage box now, he still tries but he can't get his teeth in to it.

Back