• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run access overnight?

ashton

Young Bun
Just wondering weather those of you allow your buns to access there runs overnight or if you shut them up?

I have a shed with a run attached that has access via a cat flap, during the freezing weather we have just had I used to go out around 9pm and lock the cat flap, and then re open it in the morning

But recently as the weather is a bit milder I have been leaving it open overnight, she usually sits in the run until around 11pm and then hops into the shed, I don't know how often she comes back out during the night

I am just wondering weather she will have the sense to go in if it gets too cold? I'm assuming she will.

But then again I often see her playing around in her run when it is raining so I don't know.

What do you do?

I leave mine out :) well, the access to the run open. The run is covered and they go in the shed if they're cold or whatever :)

I always wonder this as well. I got Benji in December, so I was really worried about keeping him outside in the playhouse.

In the end, I felt so bad about him being outside in the freezing cold, I brought him in and he hasn't been back out since. :lol:
I'm just waiting for our custom run to be made and then him and April are going outside. I think I will be leaving the catflap on mine open at night, as the playhouse doesn't give them much room to get around. I just worry about foxes. :?

If you leave them unsupervised in the day then it should be perfectly fine at night too :)

Foxes don't just come out at night, I have watched 4 separate foxes in the past 2 weeks playing in the field opposite my bf's house. The 4th fox was running through a field with a pheasant in its mouth! These were all between 11am and 3pm.

I'm so paranoid about foxes now that my bun is always inside :oops:

When I had an outside bun many years ago, I used to always lock him in the hutch at night time.. just in case.

If you leave them unsupervised in the day then it should be perfectly fine at night too :)

Foxes don't just come out at night, I have watched 4 separate foxes in the past 2 weeks playing in the field opposite my bf's house. The 4th fox was running through a field with a pheasant in its mouth! These were all between 11am and 3pm.

this.

About a week ago a fox walked up to my french doors and looked in... scared the hell out of all my cats.. and me (they freak me out:shock:)
it was at about 2pm:?

I leave them out unless it gets to -5 and then I lock them in the hutch overnight. I don't know if they understand it gets warmer in the hutch or not :?

My 2 other bunsters I used to just leave the cat flap in the shed open so they could get in and out of the shed when they liked, I too worried about foxes but they never came to harm, but around here where I live now im not so sure, indoor bunsters this time!!

I always give mine 24hour access to the run, they always seem to be out there first thing in the morning but they know it's warmer in the shed and go in there to sleep. They do also sit in the rain sometimes :lol:

Mine have 24/7 access to their run. If it's safe from foxes during the day, it's safe from foxes during the night too.

Hi, I don't think the cold or weather is a problem... the buns can go in to their shed and into their snuggley sleeping compartment if they get too cold. So my buns have 24 / 7 access to their run. They like being out very early in the morning and they often come out after I've gone to bed so its good that they have the option rather than being shut up and having to wait for me to let them out. I have been thinking about trying to get some kind of cat flap to cover their holeinto the shed, so that rain and wind doesn't go right into the shed... Also hoping to extend the run this summer so need some ideas for a sturdy, safe, moveable run that I can attach with a tunnel and move around the garden daily.

Mine have run access over night. My runs are bolted to the hutch, covered and sealed down on concrete.

I tried putting them in the hutch overnight but this just caused alot of fustration and chasing as they hated being couped up. So i went with what makes them happy.

I'm not sure about this. We are putting ours in the run / hutch permanently soon. I will be leaving them out in the day but I am unsure about leaving them out at night... I jsut feel uneasy about it :shock:

I leave it open even if it is very cold as Rosie doesn't feel the cold that much and enjoys her space. But will make sure they have plenty of straw and snugglesafes for them if they do get cold. Especially Pebbles who feels the cold a lot more then Rosie.

Only time I will shut them in the hutch is when it is hurricane weather :lol:

Mine have 24/7 access, except for windy days when i feel all the tunnels, boxes blowing about is a danger....

Poor souls, they have to get used to it being permanently covered in tarp, it never stops raining.....

Mine have overnight access to the attached aviary on their shed. I cant shut them in the shed because they made their own catflap:evil: which is nibbled daily.

During the day if we are in they are free range on the totally safe patio.

Ive seen them sitting out in the snow at 2am more than once, maybe mine are just a bit stupid or maybe with the thick fluffy coats in winter they are warm enough.

mine are shut in at night , for many reasons but also so that they are use to being shut in just in case for some reason they had to be, it would be difficult for them after having 24/7 excess

if they had to boarded or were sick they would need to be shut in so i think its good practise...

Mine have access from hutch through runaround tunnel 24/7. Their run is protected on three sides by wall of house/neighbour's wall and small garden wall; the run is covered to protect from rain and at night the tarpaulin comes down the front and is held down by paving stones. I also cover the hutch right down at night in same way. They love being able to play at night and early morning.

Back