• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits

hannahr

New Kit
Hey guys

I am looking to buy a rabbit for my 4 year old boy.
Few questions really
1. are they better in pairs or alone?
2. what breed are the most social and friendliest?
3. were is the best place to buy them too? (i live in the north west)

Cheers guys and look forward to your replies

hannah

Hey guys

I am looking to buy a rabbit for my 4 year old boy.
Few questions really
1. are they better in pairs or alone?
2. what breed are the most social and friendliest?
3. were is the best place to buy them too? (i live in the north west)

Cheers guys and look forward to your replies

hannah

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Have a look through the sticky threads in each section of the forum, as there is loads of information about bunny care here.

Rabbits are not suitable as children's pets. They do not like being handled, and they startle easily. You would really need to consider the rabbits as yours, and perhaps have your little boy help out under close supervision, so he can learn how to stroke the bunnies and feed them etc.

They are far better in pairs. A male/female pairing works best (both neutered of course).

I personally don't think breed really matters. All bunnies will have different personalities whatever their breed, so for anyone bringing bunnies into their home it would be a case of finding the right bunnies for you.

I posted a reply on your other thread about buying. Please consider going to a rescue rather than buying. This way you will get loads of first hand advice, and the rescue would know the personalities of the rabbits as well :)

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rabbit for a child. Having two boys myself, I know that children do not have the patience to care for a rabbit 24/7 for at least 10 years. I only have rabbits and guinea pigs because I have loved rabbits since a teenager, and kept them most of my adult life ..they are mine and my children love having them around, but I take full responsibility for them. Buns also don't like to be picked up, carried around or cuddled...and a young child would need to be taught to be calm around a rabbit, as they scare easily.

If you feel that you can dedicate the time to a bun, then please consider a neutered pair from a rescue. Buns are usually happy with a bunny friend, and there are so many in rescues across the country..

But buns don't come cheap! They need plenty of space, vaccinations, and ideal accommodation that is safe from predators.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rabbit for a child. Having two boys myself, I know that children do not have the patience to care for a rabbit 24/7 for at least 10 years. I only have rabbits and guinea pigs because I have loved rabbits since a teenager, and kept them most of my adult life ..they are mine and my children love having them around, but I take full responsibility for them. Buns also don't like to be picked up, carried around or cuddled...and a young child would need to be taught to be calm around a rabbit, as they scare easily.

If you feel that you can dedicate the time to a bun, then please consider a neutered pair from a rescue. Buns are usually happy with a bunny friend, and there are so many in rescues across the country..

But buns don't come cheap! They need plenty of space, vaccinations, and ideal accommodation that is safe from predators.

the rabbits would obviously be mine and i would be the sole carer, however i want my son to be involved.... if i got them from a resue centre would they be new born ?

I was 23 when I decided I was ready for the sole responsiblity of a rabbit and 24 when I got them!

I agree, of course, a neutered pair is best and really a local rescue can give you THE BEST advice. As a guide I'd say if you can't devote an hour a day to your buns, then maybe a rabbit isn't for you.

Also, have you considered whether they'll be outside or house buns? Personally I'd recommend house buns as it's great to have them as part of the family :)

the rabbits would obviously be mine and i would be the sole carer, however i want my son to be involved.... if i got them from a resue centre would they be new born ?

Rescues do have babies but I don't really think that age is a factor. In fact, with an older bunny the rescue will already know its personality - whether it's friendly or a little aloof, or anything else - and they'll already be neutered and vaccinated.

Back