• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oat Hay

scatter

Alpha Buck
I have always believed that this can be fed freely (along with others), but I keep reading on here (the only place I've seen it mentioned), that oat hay should not be used for free feeding?

Does anybody know which is right?

I don't know, but my buns say "yum yum" and so do my piggies! I get Oat, Wheat & barley hay (from TheHayExperts) and usually give them loads but now just put a large handful in a large dog bowl, rather than in the litter tray...only cos it is more expensive and I'm running low and they are out of stock :cry:

But my buns also have a selection of other hays too, so i don't worry...as long as they eat it!

I don't know, but my buns say "yum yum" and so do my piggies! I get Oat, Wheat & barley hay (from TheHayExperts) and usually give them loads but now just put a large handful in a large dog bowl, rather than in the litter tray...only cos it is more expensive and I'm running low and they are out of stock :cry:

But my buns also have a selection of other hays too, so i don't worry...as long as they eat it!

They do seem to like it don't they - that's what makes me wonder:lol:

Yes it is fine for them to eat, but they shouldn't have large quantities all in one go as it is very rich, it is also fattening! If they gorge themselves on it they may get sticky bums (mine do).

Yes it is fine for them to eat, but they shouldn't have large quantities all in one go as it is very rich, it is also fattening! If they gorge themselves on it they may get sticky bums (mine do).

Thanks, I tend to put a big handful in once a day...:D

I can't imagine my Spenser eating more than a handful of any hay, although his hay-eating has improved. He recently seems to prefer the plain oat hay to the green oat.

I can't imagine my Spenser eating more than a handful of any hay, although his hay-eating has improved. He recently seems to prefer the plain oat hay to the green oat.

Aww, I hope he keeps improving!

Yes, mine seem to prefer the plain oat too.

Back