• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science selective Mature or normal?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I have two rabbits, both aged 5 years. They are relatively healthy rabbits, however they do get GI stasis fairly frequently (about 10 times a year, if not more). They've always been fed on a diet of hay and a small amount of pellets. They have had normal Science selective pellets since they were babies (19% fibre, and then it changed to 23% recently).

Due to their GI stasis problems, I've introduce Supreme Vetcare Plus Digestive pellets to try and reduce the number of stasis episodes. I introduced it a couple of months ago, and so far, haven't had an episode (fingers crossed it continues). However due to the rabbits' fussy appetites, they will only eat these in the morning (no idea why?!), so they have their normal SS pellets in the evenings.

Now, as they are 5 years old, should I change their SS pellets to Mature SS? Would this help their digestive system?

Oh that's interesting. Doughnut's only one and a half but she gets problems with her digestion so I don't give her any veg. She gets dill as it's good for gas and bramble leaves as they are good for digestion.

I may change her from the SS pellets to the digestive ones if you think they are better. I guess they are more expensive but since she only has an egg cup a day I don't mind paying more. Are they are the really large pellets that are a lot lighter than the normal SS pellets? If so she's tried them with a sample pack.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but pleased to see the new pellets are helping.

Maybe they are eaten in the morning as your rabbit is more hungry so is happy to have them!

Oh that's interesting. Doughnut's only one and a half but she gets problems with her digestion so I don't give her any veg. She gets dill as it's good for gas and bramble leaves as they are good for digestion.

I may change her from the SS pellets to the digestive ones if you think they are better. I guess they are more expensive but since she only has an egg cup a day I don't mind paying more. Are they are the really large pellets that are a lot lighter than the normal SS pellets? If so she's tried them with a sample pack.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but pleased to see the new pellets are helping.

Maybe they are eaten in the morning as your rabbit is more hungry so is happy to have them!

I personally think the digestive pellets are better for my two. They are huge pellets and very light. I bought the 1kg pack and haven't used half yet. Its lasting a very long time, even though they are expensive.

I personally think the digestive pellets are better for my two. They are huge pellets and very light. I bought the 1kg pack and haven't used half yet. Its lasting a very long time, even though they are expensive.

I've just ordered some. Will give her these in the evening and the other SS ones in the morning eventually once she's used to them. Need to use up the SS ones as got so many!

Personally, I'd stick with the 'regular' SS pellets if they are not having stasis episodes. There's more fibre in the regular version than the mature version now. If you want to help their digestive tract then you could also try adding a pro-biotic to their diet such as protexin pro-fibre pellets or Avipro powder.

Personally, I'd stick with the 'regular' SS pellets if they are not having stasis episodes. There's more fibre in the regular version than the mature version now. If you want to help their digestive tract then you could also try adding a pro-biotic to their diet such as protexin pro-fibre pellets or Avipro powder.

Is this better than the vetcare digestion formula?

I don't know what's in the vetcare plus pellets I'm afraid so I couldn't tell you. Protexin Pro-Fibre pellets are a supplementary pellet only and should be fed in conjunction with their regular pellets. I think you're probably better off with something like Avipro powder as it would be less fattening that feeding two types of pellet.

Back