• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Sonic's guilt tripping me!

supersonic

Mama Doe
So, ever since I joined this website I realised that I was giving Sonic too much rabbit food but not enough hay so I started to adjust his diet. He's still on half a bowl (about 2 handfuls?) of food a day and unlimited hay because whenever I see him his bowl is clean but there is still hay left.

My problem is, he makes me feel really guilty! Whenever I put food in his bowl he runs straight to it and it's as if I'm starving him!

Anyone know whether I should reduce his food more or should I leave it as it is? I know he'll eat his hay if he's hungry, I'm just a sucker for letting him make me feel guilty :p He's so easy to read, he's clearly not happy with the diet change!

Be strong and don't give in. Most bunnies try the 'i'm starving, you never feed me' act. In fact, thats what you want! It's when they don't come charging over pleading starvation is when you need to worry ;)

I can totally sympathise! I also cut down my pair's pellets when I joined this site. Misfit still gives me the I'm starving act. Whenever I go outside she does little binkys thinking she's getting food, then when she doesn't get any she chews at the door to her run in protest. It makes me feel so guilty! But normally as soon as I come back inside she admits defeat and starts eating her hay!

She will literally only eat hay when all other options have been exhausted. But I've stayed firm with her. I changed her diet after she got stasis and I know her new diet is so much better for her.

She's stubborn, but I'm more stubborn ;)

My two are the exact same. I used to feed (weighed to be exact) as per the insstruction on the packed but that's now less than halved. They have hay and greens and the odd treat, yet always wake from slumber when the fridge door opens.

Spenser does this every day (several times a day). He falls on his pellets and modest portion of greens as if he were starved, and will only willlingly eat hay when he is in his litter basin. :roll:

Thanks for replying guys!

Nice to know that other people get affected by big bunny eyes pleading starvation! I'll start to get his food down a little more gradually. Hopefully he'll get the message soon, the cheeky devil :)

Back