• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Redigrass - how much for two different buns

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
We were wondering how much both of our bunnies would be allowed. Our lawn is now soaked and the rabbits have nibbled the grass so much there's not much of it left we were hoping to give them more redigrass than they currently get as we've never been totally sure how much they can have.

At the minute they get two small handfuls mixed in with their hay.

Honey is overweight and stasis prone, she'll eat the redigrass but doesn't exactly go nuts for it.

JayJay loves redigrass, is underweight and has a long molar as the associated one is missing.

We're not sure if either should get any more given Honey's weight problems and the fact JayJay has a bad tooth. JayJay does like and eat a fair bit of hay but we weren't sure how much redigrass the pair of them should get. Is it something they can have lots of or would it be better to limit it and use it as we do currently to tempt Jay to eat more of his hay?

It sounds like you are giving them enough Readigrass, maybe you could give them a little bit more. You want them to eat mostly hay. Do you feed pellets or meusli as well?

Both of my pairs have a large handful between them once per day. I don't feed more than that because I want them to eat hay and they would always go for the readigrass first. However, if you're feeding readigrass instead of fresh grass then I think you could probably give a couple of handfuls per day in addition to hay and fresh veg. I would probably reduce the pellets if I upped the quantity of readigrass as it can be quite calorific and make podgy buns podgier!

I've started to give my a small handful each every day. It's part of their routine as they have it when i come home from work. They eat it in one go and then move on back to their hay. I found it's keeping the wieght on Amber beatifully and, although it may be coincidence, but since having Readigrass every day, she hasn't needed her problem tooth filed!

Back