• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
Tried looking on the net and there is conflicting information so thought Id ask here.

I have a whole pineapple (fresh) that I am not going to use and wondered if the buns could have it?

If they can, do they have the outer part and leaves also?

1 whole pineapple between 23 buns, how much could they have, first time having pineapple. (if they can have it)

Treat it as you would other fruit ie. only give it as a rare treat and in small amounts.

Some people believe that there is an enzyme in pineapple that helps to break down furballs in the gut, indeed some vets even prescribe pineapple juice when a bun has a blockage. Others believe that the dangers of the sugars in it far outweigh any benefit.

Personally I give mine a small chunk of fresh (never tinned or juice) pineapple once or twice a week when theyre going through a heavy moult :wave:

I've just checked my print out from the RWAF website and it says Pineapple is a safe foods. It doesnt specify which parts are edible (unlike some other fruits)

I'm not expert but I imagine that Pineapple should be given in tiny amounts? I would have thought its very sugary?

Treat it as you would other fruit ie. only give it as a rare treat and in small amounts.

Some people believe that there is an enzyme in pineapple that helps to break down furballs in the gut, indeed some vets even prescribe pineapple juice when a bun has a blockage. Others believe that the dangers of the sugars in it far outweigh any benefit.
Personally I give mine a small chunk of fresh (never tinned or juice) pineapple once or twice a week when theyre going through a heavy moult :wave:

I'm one of those, as is my vet :wave:

The enzyme Gemma mentions is bromelaine (sp?) which it is thought can help break down fur, but i believe the sugar in pineapple affects the very delicate balance in the gut too much and far outweighs any possible, not guaranteed benefit.

A rare treat as always if at all :)

I've used it before when a bun has had a blockage - twice - both recovered.

It's not something I feed often cos of the sugar content, but if I have some left over from my food they would get a bit

Arghh conflicting again,

haha, its only the one pineapple I have, not something I normally buy, was a craving I suppose and I bought 2,

Didnt want to just chuck it out,

So if I say give them like a 50p size piece about 1cm deep each that should be ok?

During a moult I just squeeze the juice from the pineapple and give them 5ml in a syringe once or twice a week. As others say, only a treat very occasionally.

If you are giving them it to eat i.e. a piece I would not leave any of the outer part on or give them the hard bit in the middle to be on the safe side.

what's wrong with the hard bit in the middle? I thought it was just tougher but safe to eat.

I think a small piece will be fine.

You could cut it up and freeze it for a later date. There are lots of recipes you can use it in. I love ham and pineapple omelette.

:wave:I'm another who wouldn't give pineapple because of the sugar content.
Yes Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromeline which was thought to break down fur at one time.
Simple experiments showed that in fact it had no effect on fur balls BUT bromeline improved gut motility.
IMO there are other ways to improve gut motility during heavy moult & maintaining good hydration is equally important.

I reckon - make some pineapple smoothies - you could freeze some and also add to pizza, make an apple and pineapple crumble...and freeze them etc....wouldnt chance it on so many buns;)

Back