Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the SMELL - litte update 2nd page

Default the SMELL - litte update 2nd page

Ok, here I go...My flat smells awful! It is quite old and the pets don't help...I bought two air fresheners, I open the windows daily....I change Chrissy the bunny's wood shavings once per 5-7 days (not often enough maybe?) and Bobby the cat's litter once per 10-12 days (although on the pack of the silicone cat toilet it is written that it should be ok for a month, which is something that I can't imagine). Bobby is not neutered yet, will he smell less once he is? Chrissy provides me with healthy poo and her bum is very clean lately.If you can give me an example of a better cat toilet/bunny floor covering do so! Shoot me with ideas how to fight the smell, or at least how to reduce it!
    I love them and I am able to take it, but it is unbearable for sister who lives with me now! and unpleasant for guests
    Last edited by Tonya; 05-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.

If those wood shavings are pine or cedar, they're not good for the bunny. Aspen and hemp are fine. I use newspaper and change it daily for my buns and there's no smell.

For the cat litter, you could use scoopable litter. The pee clumps so you can scoop it out. I have 9 indoor cats and there's no litterpan smell because the litterpans are scooped several times a day. I can't even imagine using non-scoopable litter now. we have been using scoopable for the last several years, before that the smell was bad in my room from the 1 litterpan that 1 cat was going in.

I wouldn't use air fresheners, those can be dangerous to pets and can't be healthy for humans either. They emit fumes. I don't like using any chemical things, I would use some sort of good smelling natural thing like vanilla extract.

Is it Bobby's pee that smells? Yeah, neutered cat's pee smells less.

Mama Doe

I clean my bunnies' litter tray every day. It's the only way to make sure there's no smell.
    Talya

Why it is important to always advocate for your rabbit!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mum to -

The outside buns - Olivia, Karl, Gandalf, Biscuit, Binky, Ralph and Beatrice
    Indoor free rangers - Conrad and Ginger
    Indoor group - Toby, Buddy, Gizmo, Juniper, Muffin, Mohawk and Honey

We change the litter tray every day for the buns. The cat's tray gets done once a week but he's an outdoor cat, if he used it all the time I would do that daily too. I actually find cheap cat litter smells less than the expensive stuff. We use the supermarket cheapy stuff (value or basics range).

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    If those wood shavings are pine or cedar, they're not good for the bunny. Aspen and hemp are fine. I use newspaper and change it daily for my buns and there's no smell.

For the cat litter, you could use scoopable litter. The pee clumps so you can scoop it out. I have 9 indoor cats and there's no litterpan smell because the litterpans are scooped several times a day. I can't even imagine using non-scoopable litter now. we have been using scoopable for the last several years, before that the smell was bad in my room from the 1 litterpan that 1 cat was going in.

I wouldn't use air fresheners, those can be dangerous to pets and can't be healthy for humans either. They emit fumes. I don't like using any chemical things, I would use some sort of good smelling natural thing like vanilla extract.

Is it Bobby's pee that smells? Yeah, neutered cat's pee smells less.
    Excellent advice - can't add anything I'm afraid!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I change Chrissy the bunny's wood shavings once per 5-7 days (not often enough maybe?)
    We use newspaper woodshavings and hay and change it once a week and there's no smell, so I don't think it's that.

Please check out my blog, about my soaps, bath bombs and quilt
    http://missbeaujangles.blogspot.com/

Is she spayed? You might want to check her scent glands as well if she'll let you.

I definitely don't think once a week is often enough. I change my bunnies' trays every other day and never have problems with smell. I just use newspaper and hay.

my rabbits live in a shed and the wet bits of megazorb are removed daily and a full litter tray swap every other day and it doesn't smell at all..... megazorb is great, it doesn't seem to hold smells.

I dont think once a week is often enough - my buns would smell too! I change litter trays every day when using newspaper and hay, I can go two days when using a thick layer of megazorb. Smartbedz litter lasted 4-5 days, but the buns started to eat it so I stopped using it, plus changing a litter tray every 4 days is unhygenic.

Dont use air fresheners! They can cause snuffles.

Definitely not often enough. Every day or every other day for the rabbits and solid mess every day with the cats.
    There will probably always be a pet odour, just clean litter and hay, not poo/wee.
    Agree about getting rid of the air freshness. Try using slices of lemon around the house instead.