Thread: Toxoplasmosis in rabbits?

Default Toxoplasmosis in rabbits?

Hi Everyone,

I posted a video on here a while ago because we thought our rabbits might have EC as they are fitting severely,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj19L...eature=g-all-s

However, the blood test results came back today and it was a negative test. They are now suggesting toxoplasmosis and recommending treatment asap before the results are back on this.

Has anyone had this issue before? Did the rabbits make a full recovery?

Many thanks from a very sad 12 week old rabbit owner

Toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoal parasite, which can infect most mammalian species, including rabbits. Toxoplasmosis infection is a particular concern to pregnant women, because it poses a significant hazard to unborn children. Humans become infected by eating undercooked meat from infected animals, or by contact with cat faeces in litter trays or, (more commonly) contaminated garden soil. However, cats are the only species capable of spreading the disease when alive. This is why pregnant women are advised not to handle cat litter trays, or to wear gloves if they must do so.

Rabbit faeces are not a source of infection and live rabbits cannot spread toxoplasmosis. As the readers of this website are unlikely to consume their pet bunnies (!) toxoplasmosis can be crossed off the list of zoonoses that can be acquired from pet rabbits. Similarly, although rabbits can become infected with various species of tapeworms (see below), humans can only catch tapeworms from rabbits by eating them, so again, not an issue for the pet rabbit owner.

Rabbit litter trays pose no specific hazard to pregnant women, though standard hygiene precautions should always be taken and hands washed after dealing with rabbit urine and faeces.

Thats all i could find on this...Im very interested.I seriously hope your baby will be ok.xxxxx

I don't know but I wanted to send vibes xx hope everything will be okay xxx

Poppy, Donny & Lola, Leo, Kerbie & Charley

Craft Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/alymarinacr..._type=bookmark
    Craft twitter page - https://twitter.com/AlyMarinaCraft

Personal blog - http://zombunny.blogspot.co.uk/

Make 2014 in 2014 - total 138.70

Idk but poor bunny in video bless him

In Memory Of My Gorgeous Bridge Bunnys Scratch,George,Lily,Dudley,And Now My Little Smudge Gone But NEVER Forgotten xxxxxxxx

I would be extremely surprised if it was Toxoplasmosis as to be blunt your Rabbit would not have survived for this long. In the acute form, which does usually effect young Rabbits symptoms are neurological, but there is also usually fever, anorexia, Liver enlargement and death

The chronic form usually effects older Rabbits. The course of the disease runs on for some time, the Rabbit becoming emaciated. Hind leg paralysis is sometimes seen. Some Rabbits do recover from chronic Toxoplasmosis.

There is some more detailed info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...oplasmosis.htm

Not everyone has somewhere to spend Christmas. Please help if you can
    http://www.crisis.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if it was Toxoplasmosis as to be blunt your Rabbit would not have survived for this long. In the acute form, which does usually effect young Rabbits symptoms are neurological, but there is also usually fever, anorexia, Liver enlargement and death

The chronic form usually effects older Rabbits. The course of the disease runs on for some time, the Rabbit becoming emaciated. Hind leg paralysis is sometimes seen. Some Rabbits do recover from chronic Toxoplasmosis.

There is some more detailed info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...oplasmosis.htm

Thank you so much for this information. I have been asked to take them in tomorrow morning for a couples of days so that they can give them treatment (although it hasn't been confirmed with blood tests). My vet doesn't want to wait a week for an answer as I guess it's so severe. They have been fitting for a few weeks now so I think this would be unlikely but I think the vets are stumped.

Our bunnies are out of a litter of 5 and the other 3 (are with the owner) are not showing symptoms so we were unsure as to whether the issue was environmental, however the vet doesn't seem to think it is.

I have no idea what to do, they squeal occassionally which I presume means that they are in pain. I just want them to get better

Quote Originally Posted by AmyJoyce View Post
    Thank you so much for this information. I have been asked to take them in tomorrow morning for a couples of days so that they can give them treatment (although it hasn't been confirmed with blood tests). My vet doesn't want to wait a week for an answer as I guess it's so severe. They have been fitting for a few weeks now so I think this would be unlikely but I think the vets are stumped.

Our bunnies are out of a litter of 5 and the other 3 (are with the owner) are not showing symptoms so we were unsure as to whether the issue was environmental, however the vet doesn't seem to think it is.

I have no idea what to do, they squeal occassionally which I presume means that they are in pain. I just want them to get better
    If it is any consolation if the squeals happen during a fit it is not necessarily a pain response but an autonomic one, they dont know they are doing it.

I do hope that there will be some answers for you and that the Rabbits can be helped

Good luck.

Not everyone has somewhere to spend Christmas. Please help if you can
    http://www.crisis.org.uk/

Does anyone know if the test for EC is actually fool-proof in such young rabbits?
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Oh dear, poor bunny! It does look quite severe

I don't know much about bunnies fitting but could it be neurological? Do they both do the same thing or is one more severe than the other?

Did you get them from a breeder? How are the parents? Is the breeder liable to lie to you about their siblings being healthy? (I know that sounds harsh but it's something to think about)

I've not had experience with EC apart from a bun with head tilt and eventual kidney failure but it can present itself in different ways depending on the bunnies. I was under the impression that the tests for EC were not always accurate but I'm not sure.
    I have no idea when it comes to toxoplasmosis.

I hope you find out what is causing these awful fits and that it is treatable. x

Bunnies: Fiver, Xena and Shadowfax

Dog: Larka

Dandelion. Forgive Me. You Shall Never Be Forgotten.
    Ellie. You'll always be in my heart. I love you.
    Mack. You passed peacefully at home surrounded by loved ones, I hope you are now out of pain and at peace. You are sorely missed.

Rosie. I can't believe you are no longer at my side. I miss you so much. Wait at the bridge for me.