• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binkying to put to sleep in less than 48hours. Gutted newbie understatement :(

rescue buns

Warren Scout
What can i say but i am absolutely gutted:cry: After collecting 3 buns from the spca 3 weeks ago i have just had to put one of my girls to sleep:( Just after she was so happy too since the rain had stopped and they got to explore their new outdoor binky area for a few days. Nutmeg was the "boss" didnt like being handled and first one out and about till yesterday when she just stayed in corner of bunny barn all day, didnt drink and only had a small amount of hay. Called vets first thing this morning after seeing she was still in same spot,she let me pick her up(usualy a total no no for her)wouldnt take water or hay so made app for after school run. Got back from school run and she was flopped on her side. Took her down and told she was bleeding down below and probably have a tumour since hadnt been spayed. Told she was in such a bad way the best thing for her was to put her to sleep. Im so upset. My first set of buns at 29 and lost one after 3 weeks. The person who abandoned them in them woods are rotten through to their core for not having them spayed, immunised or even treated for infections:censored: Least we booked them in for this sat for immunisations and spays after that. Too late for nutmeg tho. Cant believe how quickly Nutmeg went down hill. Binkying mon evening to being put to sleep less than 48hours later. Wish i had took her to vet yesterday. New to rabbits and thought she was just having an off day, especially since not spayed and being female. Lesson learnt..vet asap next time. I feel so guilty as she must have been in such pain lastnight. Cant get image of her flopped on floor out my head. Now i know my dad(RIP) was doing right by not allowing me to get a pet when i was younger. He always said "they will die and you will be very upset, wait till your older" Hmm im still very upset tho dad:(

That's so sad :( rabbits often go downhill really quickly, theyre so delicate. You couldnt have prevented it, 85% of unspayed does get uterine cancer before the age of 4, there was nothing you could have done. But you are protecting the others, so take comfort in that, you are doing for her friends what her old owner wouldnt do for her.

Its so sad when we lose them, I hope you're okay.

I feel your pain so so much had to say goodbye t my Rocky today i feel like i have part of me missing :( thinking of you too xx

I am so sorry :cry:

Whilst UC is a real possibility as your Rabbits are not yet vaccinated against VHD I would strongly advise you to speak with the Vet again ASAP and request a Post Mortem examination. If it were to be VHD then obviously that will have implications for your remaining Rabbits :cry:

I am so sorry to be mentioning this on here, but I feel it to be a matter of urgency that you discuss the VHD issue with the Vet.

RIP Nutmeg :cry:

So sorry, but please don't blame yourself. You could well have seen her first ever binky if they weren't well cared for. Try to focus on that.

RIP Nutmeg. At least she had a caring owner for her last 3 weeks. They can go downhill very, very quickly. I lost my girl in less than 4 hours :cry:
Hugs for you and nose rubs for your remaining buns.

Such a sad one :(
But, Nutmeg was happy with you, she left knowing that humans are not all bad, and that she was loved and cared for.

Thanks VERY much for all the kind words. We have 3 daughters so when we saw these 3 girl buns had been found by spca we thought it was a "sign" and apt to rehome with us. Eldest is 9 and eyes filled up when told her the news but being older understands we gave her a short stint of sheer happiness, middle is 5 and burst into tears(which made me and her dad cry too) took her half hour to calm her down, she got in such a state which i didnt expect, and youngest just turned 4 said "ok but come on girls lets go out and play" which made us laugh. Bunnies are like children...they each have their own character.
Rebecca and Tinkerbell were snuggled up in the bunny barn together when i came back. They spent rest of day out in garden thinking "this is great freedom now Nutmeg the boss is away on holiday!" Just a shame as the trio found were so close and got on so well, even though female and unspayed. Least Tinkerbell and rebecca got each other. Thanks everyone. Lets hope all goes well untill they get spayed etc. x

I'm so sorry to hear about Nutmeg. It's 3 weeks since Ozzie died & I'm heartbroken. (next bit is meant to be relevant to you, not just me waffling on...) I cant get over the fact that some ignorant person kept him alive in a small hutch, with no hay & sporadic food & water for months... then I got him, read up on rabbits, tried to do my absolute best for him & he died 6 months later. :cry: I felt I should have had longer with him. However, a friend of mine reminded me that animals do not see time the way that we do & that Ozzie will just have been happy in the "now". Your Nutmeg sounds like she had a lot of love in her short time. xx

I'm so sorry to hear about Nutmeg. It's 3 weeks since Ozzie died & I'm heartbroken. (next bit is meant to be relevant to you, not just me waffling on...) I cant get over the fact that some ignorant person kept him alive in a small hutch, with no hay & sporadic food & water for months... then I got him, read up on rabbits, tried to do my absolute best for him & he died 6 months later. :cry: I felt I should have had longer with him. However, a friend of mine reminded me that animals do not see time the way that we do & that Ozzie will just have been happy in the "now". Your Nutmeg sounds like she had a lot of love in her short time. xx

Yeah thanks very much. Thats what i keep telling myself. Your poor ozzie, its just not right. Just went on to the spca angus,fife and tayside website(where i got my 3 buns from) to see how many rabbits are in their care now. Im not looking to take another bun, just wanted to see which ones had managed to find a home since i last was there.And im shocked:shock:!!!! There are lots and lots more since i was there. Its went from a screen with a few on it to 3 pages, baby buns etc. It makes me sick. Up and down the country, chuck "your too much work,you cost too much..." Wouldnt do that to a human child so why an animal? Could you imagine putting a baby in your downstairs loo for its life, not immunising it, letting it sit in its dirty nappy for days, seeing it as an inconvienience then throwing it to side of road when you've had enough. They aren't for the "cute" factor. Having buns means hard work every day, treat them like you treat your kids. Explore and be explored!
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET POSTERS/SIGNS TO DISPLAY ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY BUNNY BARN OR IN WINDOW WITH REGARDS TO CAMPAIGNS ETC. People walk by my garden and all go "aw look the bunny barn" but i want them to also think about animal rights etc. Do i sound like a mad greenpeace protestor person:lol:

Back