• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do indoor buns need a "run"?

genevieve

New Kit
If you're giving a pair of bunnies the recommended 6 x 2 x 2 mininum indoors, and they have free range of the house for 8+ hours a day, do they still need the added space of a run area like outdoor buns would have?

:)

Personally i'd offer 6x4 minimum accomadation to any rabbit as permanent space. Then whatever else on top.

I find bunnies become bored in 6x2x2 ft spaces if left for any length of time. They can't display natural behaviors in that space either.

We have some spaces of 6x2x2 that i'd rather upgrade to 6x4, but i can only do this once we have further funds to do so.

In my view bunnies are happy and can binky round in min of 6x4, which should be available at all times where possible.

Feel guilty for buying a block of 6x2x2 hutches as i feel this is nowhere near enough space, even when out in the runs for several hours a day.

Such a shame the bunny housing market is as is. Hopefully with campaining things will get better.

Last edited:
I had mine in a 6x2 pen, however they were freerange for 15 hours a day

I'd say I'd aim for 6x4.

Or, free range entirely. Mine are free range completly now and are much happier

Personally I wouldn't like to shut mine in anything 6x2 for any length of time so would aim to make a run available at all times if possible.
You could try bunny proofing one room and giving them access to that all the time, with free range on top when you can watch them :)

Personally I wouldn't like to shut mine in anything 6x2 for any length of time so would aim to make a run available at all times if possible.
You could try bunny proofing one room and giving them access to that all the time, with free range on top when you can watch them :)

Agree- plus more space= happier bunnies.

I'm too worried about having them free range all day unless I can manage to do it in my bedroom (not getting bunnies until we move, so it's hard to say what will be possible) because my mum can be temperamental, I'd be terrified that they'd chew something up badly and she'd force me to get rid of them :(

If I have a suitable bedroom at that time though, they most likely will be able to run around that space when no one's home :)

And okay then, 6 x 4 :) So a run wouldn't be absolutely necessary with that much space? If I have them in the living room, my mum's not going to be keen on them taking up all the space. Obviously the biggest I can manage is best, but if I can't manage the minimum then I suppose rabbits unfortunately aren't for me. That's the only reason I want to know, really hoping I can have a couple of these lovely creatures :D

Depending on garden space when we move, I could have them outside. I'd just rather have them indoors with me if possible :)

What I've done for my 2 house buns is to buy two of the metal animal 'runs' from Argos (about £35 each but the last one I bought had been reduced to £24). I've linked them together giving a space of approx 6'6" x6'6". It stops them chewing the skirting boards (which my little mini rex boy loves!! :shock:) and peeing on the sofa (which my little mini lop girl loves!! :shock:) When I'm at home, I just open the pen up and they can free run :D They have their litter tray and toys etc in there and seem to be quite happy.

I'm too worried about having them free range all day unless I can manage to do it in my bedroom (not getting bunnies until we move, so it's hard to say what will be possible) because my mum can be temperamental, I'd be terrified that they'd chew something up badly and she'd force me to get rid of them :(

If I have a suitable bedroom at that time though, they most likely will be able to run around that space when no one's home :)

And okay then, 6 x 4 :) So a run wouldn't be absolutely necessary with that much space? If I have them in the living room, my mum's not going to be keen on them taking up all the space. Obviously the biggest I can manage is best, but if I can't manage the minimum then I suppose rabbits unfortunately aren't for me. That's the only reason I want to know, really hoping I can have a couple of these lovely creatures :D

Depending on garden space when we move, I could have them outside. I'd just rather have them indoors with me if possible :)

You can get some lovely 6x4 pens for about £50 from various pet stores. If you then put lino under it- giving a wide edging. Then use underbed storage boxes inside that , the buns will get the idea and it will be clean and tidy before you know it. No wires being chewed and 6x4 is adequete for the majority of the day. Then you can let free range with supervision.

p.s if you get the 3ft ones that is safest so they don't jump out- then put the cover over whilst your out of the house. They will be totally safe :)

Thing is to get a big enough cage or pen you'll have to spend money out, you may be better off just putting that money into bunny proofing. Mine have about 60-70 sq ft 24/7 and then they get a few hours per pair on the landing about two or three times a week.

If you do go for bunny proofing when you decorate your room do it with the bunnies in mind. :) Try to have lots of storage so nothing is on the floor. Try to have anything with wires in the same place so you can encase the wires in plastic and then also block them off. Since being free-range mine have been a lot less destructive so I make sure leads are double protected and then keep everything else out of their way. The biggest problem I had was with weeing on the bed tbh!

There are some ideas in the stickies at the top of the housing part of the forum :)

Those wooden tunnels are great from pah- they are about 5-6 pounds, but would work great as corner protectors- i use them to protect the side of the hutches where the buns would like to nibble !

Back