• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on muesli for rabbits.

nicoleferniex

Warren Scout
hi, not sure if any of you have seen my posts about my 17 week old mini lop/dwarf rabbit having gi stasis, well we have had him at the vet ,got science recovery etc, hes seeming to go uphill then seems rather poorly and finding it difficult to get him to eat by himself ..only thing he will eat is a fruity rabbit mix which we got from our local pet shop but after joining RU i realised it was bad for my buns so immediately weaned them off it and onto Pets At Home nuggets but my lil guy is not intrested in them what so ever :( we think the gi stasis has been caused by seperation from his sister due to him hitting sexual maturity as hes only been like this since then.. i was thinking of trying him on rabbit muesli to try and tempt him to ea more, also he isnt intrested in hay whatsoever .. its marlaw compressed meadow hay i use.. somebody please help as i dont want my poor boy to slip away ..

hi, not sure if any of you have seen my posts about my 17 week old mini lop/dwarf rabbit having gi stasis, well we have had him at the vet ,got science recovery etc, hes seeming to go uphill then seems rather poorly and finding it difficult to get him to eat by himself ..only thing he will eat is a fruity rabbit mix which we got from our local pet shop but after joining RU i realised it was bad for my buns so immediately weaned them off it and onto Pets At Home nuggets but my lil guy is not intrested in them what so ever :( we think the gi stasis has been caused by seperation from his sister due to him hitting sexual maturity as hes only been like this since then.. i was thinking of trying him on rabbit muesli to try and tempt him to ea more, also he isnt intrested in hay whatsoever .. its marlaw compressed meadow hay i use.. somebody please help as i dont want my poor boy to slip away ..

i don't know what other people would suggest, and i am not experienced - i've had my bunny 2 months.

but if all he will eat is muesli, i would give it to him. i'd rather see a bun eating muesli than a bun that is suffering because he won't eat pellets.

i'd wait until someone who has more experience comes along.

there is a member called jack's-jane who knows a lot about things like this, maybe send her a pm :) x

Don't feel about the muesli, I feed my rabbits on muesli for 12 years, along with hay and fresh vegetables and still trying to wean my rabbits off it.

If your bunny is not eating anything personally I would take him back to the vets.

I am no expert on statis so hopefully one of the experienced members can help you.:wave:

he is due to go back to the vet on friday so trying so hard to try and get him back too normal. hate seeing him poorly:cry:. just asked my dad too pick up a small bag and some dandelion hay to try and get him too eat so fingers crossed, he doesnt have bloat which is a good thing but he did have really runny watery poos earlier which seem to happen only when given his science recovery.

Hi one of my buns had statis after her spay and she would only eat curly kale so i bought 2 bags! in my opinion i would let him eat the muslei as it is better than no food, but i would take himback to the vets asap not wait till Friday. Is he drinking? i haven't had any experienced in runny poos im afraid but i think a trip to the vets asap is needed don't want to worry you. I was at the vets every days for 5 days getting daisy better and she is fine now. She was given sub cut fluids (under the skin) as she wasn't drinking and i had to syringe feed her. She also had zantac which helped with her tummy
movements and she had critical care food. Hope this makes sense using my phone to write this not git the hang of it yet!

I'm no expert, but I do know that it is important that they eat lots and lots of hay. I personally don't like muesli-type food and, anyway, it is important to make the change gradually (mix old with new type and then gradually move over to the new food completely). I use Excel Lite (more fibre than the normal one) but I know a lot of people here favour Science Selective. Have never heard of the hay you are using but if you contact Willow Warren or Hay Experts they do sample packs so you can find which hay your bun likes. Hope someone more of an expert will see your thread and give more advice.
He's probably lonely - not sure whether you also have his sister, but you have separated? They always seem to do better with a companion.

hi guys, just back from the vet .. the vets basically said he will give it until monday and if not better by then will look at putting him too sleep, so upset but trying to think postive.. the vet gave him wormin paste Panacur .. recommended vegetable baby food which i got and also got mixed rabbit muesli and excel hay with dandelions, now its just getting him too take the hay and got more science selective sachets.. trying too not get too upset hope he pulls through

I'm no expert, but I do know that it is important that they eat lots and lots of hay. I personally don't like muesli-type food and, anyway, it is important to make the change gradually (mix old with new type and then gradually move over to the new food completely). I use Excel Lite (more fibre than the normal one) but I know a lot of people here favour Science Selective. Have never heard of the hay you are using but if you contact Willow Warren or Hay Experts they do sample packs so you can find which hay your bun likes. Hope someone more of an expert will see your thread and give more advice.
He's probably lonely - not sure whether you also have his sister, but you have separated? They always seem to do better with a companion.

yes still got his sister ,shes still in the same room etc as him just seperate cage but she was the mummy basically x

hi guys, just back from the vet .. the vets basically said he will give it until monday and if not better by then will look at putting him too sleep, so upset but trying to think postive.. the vet gave him wormin paste Panacur .. recommended vegetable baby food which i got and also got mixed rabbit muesli and excel hay with dandelions, now its just getting him too take the hay and got more science selective sachets.. trying too not get too upset hope he pulls through

Why have they said they will put him to sleep? I'm not following, sorry...

Muslei food is only bad if they selectively eat from it, so if you can insure that he eats all of it and not picking at it, I can't seeing it being too much of a problem and you can try and wean him onto a pellet when he is better.

As for the hay, try lots of different types because rabbits are very picky, and it is the most important part of their diet to eat hay! My rabbit won't touch some types of hay with a barge pole if it's the only food he has, but others he doesn't stop eating. Hay for pets, Animal magic, Willow Warren and The Hay Experts are all really well known websites that do hay samples, so you can try them to see if your bunny will eat it.

Also, does he get any veggies?

Why have they said they will put him to sleep? I'm not following, sorry...

Muslei food is only bad if they selectively eat from it, so if you can insure that he eats all of it and not picking at it, I can't seeing it being too much of a problem and you can try and wean him onto a pellet when he is better.

As for the hay, try lots of different types because rabbits are very picky, and it is the most important part of their diet to eat hay! My rabbit won't touch some types of hay with a barge pole if it's the only food he has, but others he doesn't stop eating. Hay for pets, Animal magic, Willow Warren and The Hay Experts are all really well known websites that do hay samples, so you can try them to see if your bunny will eat it.

Also, does he get any veggies?

he has gi stasis :cry: ..with the mixed food he is eating something, with the nuggets hes eating nothing so id rather feed him that than nothing :cry: once better (if he pulls through, really hope he does) il then wean him back onto nugets.. il go on and order some just now ,thank you so much..has ur bun ever had gi stasis?

Hi none of my bunnies has ever had statis. For 12 years fed my bunnies muesli and none ever had any health problems and they passed away of old age. Plus hay and loads of vegetables.

Before I get slated, I didn't know any better and weaning Sunshine off the muesli. However they never selectively picked at it, they ate the whole lot. I have made alot of diet errors, thought I was doing the best for my bunnies.

I have RU to thank for putting me on the right path.

I really hope your bunny does get better, it is always stressful. You could put up another post just asking for GI statis advice or send a message to Jack's-Jane or Sky-O. If you look under the members list at the top of the page you can send them a private message for help.

Good luck. Thinking of you and your bunny.

Last edited:
he has gi stasis :cry: ..with the mixed food he is eating something, with the nuggets hes eating nothing so id rather feed him that than nothing :cry: once better (if he pulls through, really hope he does) il then wean him back onto nugets.. il go on and order some just now ,thank you so much..has ur bun ever had gi stasis?

Do vets put rabbits down with stasis so quickly?

No, Oscar has thankfully never had stasis touch wood. He is only 6 months old at the moment and I hope it stays like that, I can't imagine what it must be like to go through it...

I hope he gets better soon x

Hi none of my bunnies has ever had statis. For 12 years fed my bunnies muesli and none ever had any health problems and they passed away of old age. Plus hay and loads of vegetables.

Before I get slated, I didn't know any better and weaning Sunshine off the muesli. However they never selectively picked at it, they ate the whole lot. I have made alot of diet errors, thought I was doing the best for my bunnies.

I have RU to thank for putting me on the right path.

I really hope your bunny does get better, it is always stressful. You could put up another post just asking for GI statis advice or send a message to Jack's-Jane or Sky-O. If you look under the members list at the top of the page you can send them a private message for help.

Good luck. Thinking of you and your bunny.

i really hope he pulls through :cry: yea RU is great ! how many bunnies have you got + where are you from? already have posted about it, had some good advice :) xx

Do vets put rabbits down with stasis so quickly?

No, Oscar has thankfully never had stasis touch wood. He is only 6 months old at the moment and I hope it stays like that, I can't imagine what it must be like to go through it...

I hope he gets better soon x

thats what i wondered aswell, im a 1st time owner of rabbits so not completely clued up on how to deal with them when there ill :( my bunnys arent even 6 months yet and cant bear to think that i may lose one on monday :(

thankyou for the good wishes x

So sorry to hear that your bunny is still unwell.

My little boy has just been terribly ill with bloat, and is making a slow recovery.

Is your bun getting pain relief and an appetite stimulant? They can need this for a few days.

Don't worry about feeding muesli. I feed Rabbit Royale which is a muesli, and a lot of other members on here use it. At this point in time it is more important to get him to eat. My little boy Floppy is getting pretty much whatever he seems to want just now. I will worry about getting his diet back to normal at a later date.

Are you able to get dandelions? Or herbs such as parsley or basil? Floppy prefers these over his bunny food when he is poorly. He is also not too keen on hay, although he is eating a little. I went out today to get him a selection of different ones to see if there are any that he feels like just now. He is usually a good hay eater.

I really hope he can pick up soon.

i really hope he pulls through :cry: yea RU is great ! how many bunnies have you got + where are you from? already have posted about it, had some good advice :) xx

I have had 5 bunnies. 2 at a time. First rescues were 6 month old brother and sister who lived to 7 and a half and 9 years of age.

My Nancy sadly passed away at the vets on the 2nd of February. Was no clear diagnoses but she had breathing problems, been in and out twice, both for 2 nights, that is why I am never using that vet again. Nancy was 5 or 6. Sadly with alot of rescues their real age is not known.

I have Sunshine, he is 7 or 8 now, got him 4 years ago from a rescue centre.
Two weeks ago got a 5 year old female rescue.

I am in Middlesex. On the borders of Surrey.

If you are not happy with your vet so many great recommendations from people on this site. Rabbit Savvy vets they call them. I have had to learn alot. I really hope something can be done to help your bunny.:wave:

So sorry to hear that your bunny is still unwell.

My little boy has just been terribly ill with bloat, and is making a slow recovery.

Is your bun getting pain relief and an appetite stimulant? They can need this for a few days.

Don't worry about feeding muesli. I feed Rabbit Royale which is a muesli, and a lot of other members on here use it. At this point in time it is more important to get him to eat. My little boy Floppy is getting pretty much whatever he seems to want just now. I will worry about getting his diet back to normal at a later date.

Are you able to get dandelions? Or herbs such as parsley or basil? Floppy prefers these over his bunny food when he is poorly. He is also not too keen on hay, although he is eating a little. I went out today to get him a selection of different ones to see if there are any that he feels like just now. He is usually a good hay eater.

I really hope he can pick up soon.

its so draining and you feel helpless :( so glad your boy is getting better! :D yea im not caring what he eats just aslong as he does, even got him baby food which he loves, was reccomended by the vet :p got him excel hay with dandelions in it today and a plant full of parsley, will get basil tomorrow. zak is usually a really good hay eater..its hurting me so much tho seeing him like this ..

its so draining and you feel helpless :( so glad your boy is getting better! :D yea im not caring what he eats just aslong as he does, even got him baby food which he loves, was reccomended by the vet :p got him excel hay with dandelions in it today and a plant full of parsley, will get basil tomorrow. zak is usually a really good hay eater..its hurting me so much tho seeing him like this ..

It is awful! I cried buckets, my little boy was so ill, then I cried buckets when he started to get better :oops::lol:.

What treatment is your bun getting?

I have had 5 bunnies. 2 at a time. First rescues were 6 month old brother and sister who lived to 7 and a half and 9 years of age.

My Nancy sadly passed away at the vets on the 2nd of February. Was no clear diagnoses but she had breathing problems, been in and out twice, both for 2 nights, that is why I am never using that vet again. Nancy was 5 or 6. Sadly with alot of rescues their real age is not known.

I have Sunshine, he is 7 or 8 now, got him 4 years ago from a rescue centre.
Two weeks ago got a 5 year old female rescue.

I am in Middlesex. On the borders of Surrey.

If you are not happy with your vet so many great recommendations from people on this site. Rabbit Savvy vets they call them. I have had to learn alot. I really hope something can be done to help your bunny.:wave:

so sorry to hear about Nancy :love: still being kept on your toes with other buns tho lol :D i got mines at 8 weeks old , they are now 17 weeks :p ..not sure where Surrey even is lol,but im from Glasgow (you have probably heard of it a few times lol) ..think i might look into changing vets as our family vet is saying that nothng can be done for Zak, wont give him pain relief because it seemingly slows down the gut :(..thankyou for your wishes xxx

It is awful! I cried buckets, my little boy was so ill, then I cried buckets when he started to get better :oops::lol:.

What treatment is your bun getting?

how long did it take for him to start getting better? did he seem worse before he started getting better ?

at the moment he is on an antibiotic called baytril, sachets of science selective and getting panacur to be wormed as the vet thinks he could maybe have worms as i got him from a petshop so know nothing about his full background!

Back