• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets or no vets?

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone

When I have my dental buns in for their molar teeth filing the vet always insists that the buns come in for a post op check 2 days later and I have never booked either of them in for their post op checks to date :oops:

I have found both buns to recover well from the anasthetic and be eating and pooping on the same day. Don't get me wrong, I would have them back in a flash if I thought anything wasn't right with them.

The problem is that they must now have a note on their file saying that I never take them back and I got told off by the nurse today when I went to get Pipkin after his dental. The thing is that I don't see how it will benefit them in any way if they have recovered well and it will only cause them more stress with the car journey. I also have nearly 8 years experience of dealing with dental buns so I can pick up on any subtle signs that things aren't right. What exactly will the vet be looking for that I can't see?

Just wondered what people thought? I would like to emphasise again that I would book them straight in if they were making a poor recovery/not eating etc.

Deep down I feel its the right thing not to take them back but I don't want to cause and argument with the vet who I like.

Thoughts???

The nurses will be following the rules, irrespective of your particular experience. Best thing to do is speak to your vet next time you see them, explain that you do not bring them in as they are fine and do not want to cause any more stress. Check that they are ok with this, explaining your experience, and if all is well they should be able to edit your record and get the nurses off your back!

We try not to take our bun to the vets whenever possible as he has been in a lot recently and subsequently have a very good relationship with our vet. This means that they can prescribe medication over the phone to save bringing him in (when it is a reoccurring problem).

I would just discuss it with the Vet. Once h/she hears that you know to be vigilant re any potential post op' problems and would not hesitate to take them back if you had even the slightest concern I am sure that the Vet will agree that there is no point putting the Buns through additional stress of another car journey.

At least you have a Vet who appears to care and not one who just sends the owner on h/her way with no interest in how their Bun is doing at all !!

My vets just tell me to ring if there is a problem instead of going for check up appointments because they know I know what to look out for and dont like stressing my bunnies for no reason.

Thank you everyone - its nice to get some reassurance:)

I will give my vet a ring tomorrow and have a chat with her - I hope she will understand. I am very lucky to have a vet who cares about my buns, I fully trust her with both my buns for their dentals

I think you are doing absolutely the right thing. My vet is quite strict about subjecting rabbits to unnecessary vet trips. I got told off years ago for bringing my bunnies in for a referral which could have been done by fax/over the phone as bun had been examined so recently - I didn't know! :oops: So what i'm saying is, my vet would certainly be in agreement with you. :D

I think your right, as you say if anything was wrong you would have them back in a flash so whats wrong with that?
My bunnies hate the vets and we live 3 mins away from them, but I still phone rather than take them and stress them out.
Could you mention to the vets that you have lots of experience and would prefer to have a telephone call with the vet instead?

Back