• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much should a bunny drink?

BevBunny

Mama Doe
I'm a little concerned that one or both of my bunnies is drinking too much, and obviously I know this could potentially indicate kidney issues. Neither are overweight or ill in any other way (well, except one has sore hock issues).

They are big buns (4-5kg french lop and a 3kg large dwarf lop), eat lots of hay (about two 10 inch dog bowls piled high everyday day), just a small handful of pellets a day and a large bowl of veg each day.

They are drinking about about 600ml of water between the two of them a day. Is this too much? This hasn't suddenly happened but it has gradually increased. Is it cos they eat so much hay?

Any advice would be welcome. :)

My lops drink that much. When I asked on here I got the reply back that it is normal. My rabbit savvy vet wasn't too concerned either, Apparently if they are in warmer conditions ie. indoors they do drink more. Apparently when we went away this january and the house was cooler they drank less.

I personally don't think it's to much, they are big buns and the weather is getting warmer and so they drink more. I would worry if they were drinking excessively and not urinating.

Normal Rabbit water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs

Rabbits feed alot of Veg/grass tend to drink less as they obtain some of their fluid requirements from the Veg/grass.

Thanks everyone, I feel better now.

Its gone up in the last month and thinking about it this would correlate with the weather improving and also, since we've had the kittens (about a month ago) the lounge door always gets shut which means there's no draft and the room gets warmer. So this is probably a cause too. Time to get their fans and timer plug out.

Back