• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red eyed rabbit sight problems?

cat davis

New Kit
Hi,

I have just adopted a rabbit, she is a 2 yr old netherland dwarf, shes smoke grey with dark red eyes, she has bonded really well with my male netherland dwarf.

We have a double level cage, when they can play upstairs or downstairs using the ramp. She either cant or wont use the ramp. Shes perfectly happy being either upstair or down, but i have to move her up or down myself.

I cant decide if its a fact that shes reluctant to use the ramp or cant?

The rescue centre where i got her from said she had been living indoors in a small hutch prior to coming to them & then outside with them but had never been outside on the grass etc so i dont know ifs its too much too soon for her, shes loves it in our garden. They also said that she may sway slightly as she has the red eyes.

Would that effect her ability to use the ramp, she does seem a little fat in comparision to our other rabbit, so i dont know if that would make any difference?

We have only had her 8 days & shes really settled, she bonded soo quickly to our male that they travelled home together & have been together ever since. The rescue home advised not to seperate them as they got on soo well & just to just use the top level of the cage for the first week which we have done, the lower level has only been open since yesterday afternoon.

I may just be worrying about nothing & she may get the hang of it in a couple of days.

Any suggestions or advice would be great

it could be to do with eyesite but may also be to do with nerves or with not ever having used a ramp so not knowing what to do, i had a bunny who would never go through a hole that her whiskers wouldnt go thorugh so random so prehaps the hole to get into top level or whichever is too small? i would jsut see how she gets on ...mind you i also know of house rbabits that wont use the stairs and hop into a carrier at teh top/bottem and sit there wwaiting for their owner to carry them up!!!! :) try putting this in general chat or behaviour it may help you get more responses

It can take a while for buns to gain the confidence to use a ramp.
I'd say its early days especially for a bun whose sight may not be the best.
Could you add a edge to each side of the ramp? I found this helped with my girl who is a RE Californian who 'scans' a lot & doesn't appear to see that well.
I used food rewards to make the ramp seem more attractive too, this was all my boy needed but Parsley needed the added security of the ramp edges (which my OH kindly added) to really become a confident ramp user.
Theres no stopping her now but it was a matter of months rather than weeks to get to this point.
Another thing - how steep is the ramp? Some buns aren't keen on really steep ramps so you could look at making it less steep if you were able to.

Last edited:
Back