• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT-bunny with bloat

vee-jay

Mama Doe
a friend of mine recently got a new rabbit. the previous owners never gave her any change over food and now 2 weeks later has developed signs of bloat.
he is lying on his side and cant/wont eat/drink anything.
Vets have said they cant do anything.....
has anyone else got any experiance with this?...can she do anything that may help?
the owner is distraught...she loves this bun

Is you friend in the UK?

The bunny definitely needs to see a vet. A competent vet should be able to help the bunny, contacting a vet that will help is the best thing your friend can do.

I've have two bunnies that have had bloat episodes about 10 times between them. My rabbit savvy vet always admits them and x-rays them to see if there is any obvious problem such as a blockage. They receive painkillers and are closely monitored. Bloat can become fatal very quickly so it's really important that a good vet is on hand to help.

If they can't be got to a vet then they should be kept warm and peaceful, Infracol/gripe water may help.They shouldn't be syringe fed until a blockage is ruled out.

Last edited:
yes she is in UK
she phoned the vets and they said they cant do anything...i have just given her my vets number.
she says he is so ill..he cant get up...how likely is it he isnt going to make it?:(

Your friend needs a different vet! The rabbit needs maxatone and infacol and heat and painkillers as a matter of urgency. I recently lost a rabbit to bloat WITH all of these things. Without them the rabbit has very little chance :cry:

(Search for bloat or April to find the threads)

What city is this bunny in? When a bunny is as desperatey ill as this one sounds, he needs to go immediately to the vet to be examined and to be administered emergency medication.

she phoned the vets and they said they cant do anything...

That's a completely unacceptable answer from the vets. If whatever reason they cant help, they should at least be referring her to vets who can. She really needs to contact ANY (other) vet that's offering an emergency service and take him in for emergency treatment NOW. I hope it works out OK.

Then when she's got more time on her hands, she can make a complaint to those vets who turned her away. I would think she can complain to the RCVS.

ok thanks guys for all your advice:)
i have told her and hopefully the little bun will get better. he's only a baby:(

I hope this bunny survives.

Your friend's vet should at the very least offer treatment to prevent suffering- they can't just leave an animal to die in agony :?

ok a wee update.
The little bun is now at the vets and is getting treatment. we are keeping our fingers crossed that he pulls through.
thanks again

I had a bun that had bloat and rushed him to the evening surgery. They gave him two injections and sent him home. By 11pm that night he was worse and on his side a lot. i phoned the emergency vet and took him over and he was admitted and put on a drip. He recovered and 5yrs later he has had no other bouts of bloat since then. Please tell her to watch the bun closely and take him straight back if un sure. They can go down so quickly.

Hey guys
until yesterday the wee bunny had been great and had fully recovered but this evening he has taken a turn for the worst:(

but just tonight he is a bit weak and floppy hes making a choaking noise and like watery stuff comming out his mouth
Hes quite bad.. he just went like that its not looking gd

Does anyone know what it is/any advice. she cant get to the vet until tomorrow:(

Sounds like a secondary pneumonia, a bloated stomach can prevent the lungs expanding fully leading to poor air exchange and risk of infection.
*If* this is the case the Rabbit is unlikely to survive until tomorrow without immediate Veterinary treatment :cry:

Last edited:
thank you
I have passed that on
Sadly she physically cant get to the vet until tomorrow:cry:
hoping he will pull through again...he seems a wee fighter

He really needs to see a vet :cry: Could she call the vet for advice tonight, even if she cant take him? Poor poor bunny, I really hope he makes it :( xXx

This bunny needs to see a vet tonight and there is no excuse for not taking the bunny. Hoping he pulls through because he is a fighter, is simply not good enough. The forum is to be used to enhance owner's knowledge and not as a replacement for treatment.

Back