• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for sore hocks.

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Hello, my bunny Lavender has been suffering a bit lately with sore hocks. They've been a bit pink, and I've put fluffy blankets on the carpet in the hope that this helps - they'd been looking a lot better. Until today. :shock:

I found spots of blood on the carpet, and her blankets - its from one of her hocks. I've cleaned it and also put some sudacrem on but I know that this isn't thought to be the best treatment cos its mats the fur (there is no fur to mat at the moment so I didn't think I had much to lose just for this evening). I've put clean blankets down too so everythings is super soft and clean, plus I can tell if it bleeds again.

Its not bothering her in the slightest, but obviously I don't want it to get infected. I'd feel happier if I can get her to the vets but I won't be able to do that tomorrow, I've got a day off later in the week so hopefully it can wait til then. If it bleeds again I think I might just have to find a way to take her anyhow.

Any advice on what I can do in the meantime? I've read on here before (but can't find the posts now) that some people use a sort of 'paint on skin' that is usually for humans. What is it? Can I just buy it from the chemist?

cheers
Bev

Personally I would try to get her to a Vet today. If infection gets into a hock it really is very bad news :cry:

I would not use any 'paint on' dressing as that will be painful on application and might seel in bacteria.

The Vet needs to not only deal with the sore hocks (pain relief, antibiotics, topical treatment eg FLAMMAZINE CREAM) but also establish why the hocks are sore-ie a mobility problem? arthritis ? neurological issues ? obesity?......

I dont want to sound overly dramatic but bleeding sore hocks are not something that can afford a delay in Vet Treatment, a few days can be all it takes for a serious problem to become established and the outlook then is not good :cry:

sore hocks

Hello, my bunny Lavender has been suffering a bit lately with sore hocks. They've been a bit pink, and I've put fluffy blankets on the carpet in the hope that this helps - they'd been looking a lot better. Until today. :shock:

I found spots of blood on the carpet, and her blankets - its from one of her hocks. I've cleaned it and also put some sudacrem on but I know that this isn't thought to be the best treatment cos its mats the fur (there is no fur to mat at the moment so I didn't think I had much to lose just for this evening). I've put clean blankets down too so everythings is super soft and clean, plus I can tell if it bleeds again.

Its not bothering her in the slightest, but obviously I don't want it to get infected. I'd feel happier if I can get her to the vets but I won't be able to do that tomorrow, I've got a day off later in the week so hopefully it can wait til then. If it bleeds again I think I might just have to find a way to take her anyhow.

Any advice on what I can do in the meantime? I've read on here before (but can't find the posts now) that some people use a sort of 'paint on skin' that is usually for humans. What is it? Can I just buy it from the chemist?

cheers
Bev

my rexs have sore hocks(pink)-the fur is thin to begin with on a rex,,so make sure the floor is soft,,check the weight of your bun--over weight really contributes to the problem--so ,yes,diet is important./.-a diet of 70%-nondigestible fiber,.ie timothy/orchard grasses(hay)--and a small amount of digestible fiber=quality lowfat pellets for nutrition and vitamins,,plus a few healthy treats,(safe plants)-,i like to offer fruit tree branches/twigs--great for teeth and gitract(flora)-i also use betadine on the pink skin,remember any ointment,etc they will lick off,,and you donot want to upset their delicate eco-system(gitract)-or poison them...sincerely james waller:wave:

Thanks both of your for the advice.

Unfortunately I can't not go to work today. I'll call the vets and see if I can get a late appointment this evening, or first thing tomorrow (and take the day off).

Jane - now you've said about underlying problems, I've noticed in the few months that Lavender sits strangely sometimes, she sits quite far back and pushes her back feet forwards a bit. I've always thought that she just likes it, and being as she is still hopping around/binkying like a mad thing, and not showing any stiffness I didn't think anything of it. I wonder if there is something wrong with her hips? She's 5 years old but not at all over weight. She's has also been on glucosamine until about 4 months ago (as we put it on their food for her previous husbun cos of his calcium issues).

Thanks both of your for the advice.

Unfortunately I can't not go to work today. I'll call the vets and see if I can get a late appointment this evening, or first thing tomorrow (and take the day off).

Jane - now you've said about underlying problems, I've noticed in the few months that Lavender sits strangely sometimes, she sits quite far back and pushes her back feet forwards a bit. I've always thought that she just likes it, and being as she is still hopping around/binkying like a mad thing, and not showing any stiffness I didn't think anything of it. I wonder if there is something wrong with her hips? She's 5 years old but not at all over weight. She's has also been on glucosamine until about 4 months ago (as we put it on their food for her previous husbun cos of his calcium issues).

I would be thinking along the lines of some osteoarthritis in her hips/spine.

Good luck at the Vets xx

I would be thinking along the lines of some osteoarthritis in her hips/spine.

Good luck at the Vets xx

Had a lengthy chat with the vet, during which Lavender sat herself in the exact position I was trying to describe to him - sort of rocked back a bit with her back legs sticking slightly forward. What a well behaved bunny she is. He agreed with me that this probably isn't a conscious thing and she's doing it either cos of her hips or her back. :(

We started her on Meloxidyl (anti inflammatory and pain relief), and we'll see if it effects her posture.

Her feet look much better, no more bleeding and don't look like they're infected. He's given me hibiscrub to bathe them in, but no antibiotics, I'll check them a few times a day and keep a close eye on them.

Thanks for you help Jane. :wave:

James - I asked about her weight, the vet said she's just about perfect. She eats huge amounts of hay and not much else, so her diet is pretty good too (I've learned over the years!). What flooring do you put your rex's on to help their feet? when you say 'soft' do you mean blankets?

Back