• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zeus freak out advice

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
Since Athie and Zeus's dislike of my current treats I thought it's a good idea to make them their fav cookie treats(pellets, hay, strawberry, banana, touch of water)

Those of you that know Zeus knows he doesn't care about noise, even let's me vacuum him. Ive made the cookies a few times but tonight when I switched the blender on he freaked out majorly, started scramble running all over the flat, like crazy scared running.
I managed to pick him up and held him to my chest and went to the bed where I put him on and curled around him gently talking to him and stroking his head. He was moan squeaking and thumped and breathing super fast.

Never seen him so scared before :( held him for about 20mins as he seemed to not want to move from where he squirmed against me.

He started doing his happy teeth grinding and figured he's doing better so held him a bit longer but had to check on Athie who was under the bed thumping. So moved Zeus under the bed so the boys can comfort each other.

Then noticed Zeus had pooped all over the place and a lot, everywhere he had run and on the bed.

I got his favourite treat and tried to lure them out but they're just hiding under the bed :( from what I can hear Zeus is still breathing fairly fast but they're both huddled together under the bed now for about 30mins.

Any ideas what I did wrong or how I can soothe them? I've left the treats and moved away but still sitting on the floor nearbyish

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

The rabbit is not accustomed to it because the blender is not used all the time. :( I usually close the door of the room where the rabbit is when I do noisy work, and I close the door of the room where I will make my own noise. I'm trying to scare him less by closing double doors. But there were times when he was too scared and hiding. At such times I sat on the floor next to him and did not communicate with him. Because the more I tried to get closer to talking to him in his hiding place, the more I realized that I scared him. As long as I didn't communicate with him and he started to feel comfortable, he started coming to me after a while and soon trusted me again. In this sitution the best thing is to leave the rabbits alone for a bit. But still sit on the floor within sight of them.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Forgive me if I misunderstood

I'd just let them chill. The sound of the blender has obviously scared him silly. Boo is most definitely completely deaf & I thought Mouse was too. However since the vet pulled a chunk of ear wax out of her lugs, shortly followed by mouse & I evicting one as a joint effort. Since then i think she hears a little sound. could it be something similar with Zeus? Or he felt vibrations? Joey was once scared by a noise & ended up at the vets so keep an eye on his eating but i'd also give him time out to sulk with his buddy

The rabbit is not accustomed to it because the blender is not used all the time. :( I usually close the door of the room where the rabbit is when I do noisy work, and I close the door of the room where I will make my own noise. I'm trying to scare him less by closing double doors. But there were times when he was too scared and hiding. At such times I sat on the floor next to him and did not communicate with him. Because the more I tried to get closer to talking to him in his hiding place, the more I realized that I scared him. As long as I didn't communicate with him and he started to feel comfortable, he started coming to me after a while and soon trusted me again. In this sitution the best thing is to leave the rabbits alone for a bit. But still sit on the floor within sight of them.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Forgive me if I misunderstood
I tend to use the blender a lot [emoji15] love my cooking :) sadly there's no doors I can close :( thank you for the advice though :)

The sitting nearby but not communicating seems to be semi working, just saw Zeus's head pop out but he then retreated, so just sitting quietly within sight :)

I tend to use the blender a lot [emoji15] love my cooking :) sadly there's no doors I can close :( thank you for the advice though :)

The sitting nearby but not communicating seems to be semi working, just saw Zeus's head pop out but he then retreated, so just sitting quietly within sight :)

Finally! Another person who likes to cook like me. :D It's an art, it's a pleasure, it knows who lives ıt'slove of food. :D I have a kitchen chef mixer, big and quite noisy. But it is my everything. :roll:

I hope the advice works. I hope your rabbits get comfortable again soon.

I'd just let them chill. The sound of the blender has obviously scared him silly. Boo is most definitely completely deaf & I thought Mouse was too. However since the vet pulled a chunk of ear wax out of her lugs, shortly followed by mouse & I evicting one as a joint effort. Since then i think she hears a little sound. could it be something similar with Zeus? Or he felt vibrations? Joey was once scared by a noise & ended up at the vets so keep an eye on his eating but i'd also give him time out to sulk with his buddy

Was just so completely weird :( never seen the poor boy so scared. I feel absolutely awful that he got such a fright :( will need to figure out something for next time that I need to use the blender :s
Oh eeuw gross but good she can hear a bit :) that must've been one awful experience :( yea maybe Athie's grooming has paid off and he got something out of Zeus's ear :s

Thank you :) Feeling a bit better as he did just go for a wee, but he keeps scurrying back to under the bed, think it helps that Athie is out and about. Yea trying to keep an eye but not being obvious :s not going to sleep until I see him eat something :s

Aw, poor Zeus. :( I'm sorry he got so very scared by the blender this time, even though you use it a lot. I have no advice, but I hope he calmed down eventually and ate something.

Did the blender have a high pitch whining? Mine are terrified of my new vaccuun yet ok with older one. New one much higher pitch sound.

Perhaps muffle blender moter with towels? Bunny ear plugs/muffs may be something to invent.
Sending vibes for Zeus and Athie.

You will have to use the blender in the garden ;):lol: Fern bunny didn’t like the tumble dryer, so I didn’t use it in the 2 years I had her :lol:

Aw, poor Zeus. :( I'm sorry he got so very scared by the blender this time, even though you use it a lot. I have no advice, but I hope he calmed down eventually and ate something.
Thank you :) he did yea and spent most of the night on my bed actually. Woke me up at 2am by jumping on my tummy and kept squishing in between me and the wall. This morning he's following me around and won't let me out his sight [emoji173] but he's had breakfast and seems OK today :)
Did the blender have a high pitch whining? Mine are terrified of my new vaccuun yet ok with older one. New one much higher pitch sound.

Perhaps muffle blender moter with towels? Bunny ear plugs/muffs may be something to invent.
Sending vibes for Zeus and Athie.
Not that I could hear, just sounded like any other time :s maybe there was something else that happened at the same time that I didn't see or hear :s I like the idea of the towels thanks! :D will def give that a go next time :)

You will have to use the blender in the garden ;)[emoji38] Fern bunny didn’t like the tumble dryer, so I didn’t use it in the 2 years I had her [emoji38]
Hahaha sadly I don't have a garden :( live in a flat, but now I can just imagine me using it in the corridor [emoji1787][emoji1787] in fairness my neighbours wouldn't even question it, they're used to me being very random [emoji1787]

My guys were like this with the microwave. I usually call out a warning before I use it and eventually they've learnt what the word means and that it's safe.

Maybe you could use a hand signal or pat the floor so many times for Zues before you use it?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Hahaha sadly I don't have a garden :( live in a flat, but now I can just imagine me using it in the corridor [emoji1787][emoji1787] in fairness my neighbours wouldn't even question it, they're used to me being very random [emoji1787]

Corridor sounds good! Or if you could take it into another room?

That sounds less odd than going in the loo and closing the door to make smoothies for your guests.:lol:

My guys were like this with the microwave. I usually call out a warning before I use it and eventually they've learnt what the word means and that it's safe.

Maybe you could use a hand signal or pat the floor so many times for Zues before you use it?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Hahaha I already do that [emoji1787] learned it with the vacuum with Athie, he understands now when I say "there will be noise, it'll be loud", he then takes himself to his safe space :D I do that now with anything that makes noise, like when I'm about to move stuff or dance around or use the blender or such :D
I pointedly get their attention and say it a few times and they're usually fine then :D

Corridor sounds good! Or if you could take it into another room?
Sadly my flat is a classed as a studio, open plan lounge and kitchen, no door to the bedroom, even though it's a complete other room. The only place with a door is the bathroom [emoji15]
That sounds less odd than going in the loo and closing the door to make smoothies for your guests.[emoji38]
Hahaha I did actually consider that [emoji1787] any bunny owner would understand though [emoji1787]

Or he felt vibrations?
Lopsy's a deaf old soul but canal boats and helicopters are his nemeses (we live next to a busy canal and under a hospital/visitor helipad flightpath), we think he either hears very deep noises or or perceives vibrations. He's only ever been proper scared for about 3-4hrs though, but then I think most outside bunnies are more used to random stuff so get over it quicker (either because they're outside and just have to cope, or because they're the type that prefer outside and just get on with it!).

Thank you :) he did yea and spent most of the night on my bed actually. Woke me up at 2am by jumping on my tummy and kept squishing in between me and the wall. This morning he's following me around and won't let me out his sight [emoji173] but he's had breakfast and seems OK today :)
I'm glad he calmed down and had a comfy night on your bed, and that he had breakfast this morning. :love:

Lopsy's a deaf old soul but canal boats and helicopters are his nemeses (we live next to a busy canal and under a hospital/visitor helipad flightpath), we think he either hears very deep noises or or perceives vibrations. He's only ever been proper scared for about 3-4hrs though, but then I think most outside bunnies are more used to random stuff so get over it quicker (either because they're outside and just have to cope, or because they're the type that prefer outside and just get on with it!).
Hmmm might be :s will have to be a bit more aware to see if there's vibrations or such he reacts to :) thanks :)
I'm glad he calmed down and had a comfy night on your bed, and that he had breakfast this morning. :love:

Slight update, think I've figured out what might've freaked Zeus out :s
Past few days I've noticed him jumping and bolting into the bedroom and hiding under the bed and realised it's when one of my neighbours takes her dogs out :/ starts with a door slam that you can feel slight vibrations on the floor and then dogs barking and running up and down our corridor :/
He seems to really not like it :( which makes me think that must've happened while I used the blender and I just didn't hear it :s

Back