• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your favourite rabbit keeping myths

And even if they couldn't be litter trained that doesn't mean you can't clean up after your pets! I think that annoys me even more when people assume your house must be covered in poop because you have rabbits and other pets. It's mainly the illogical part of it that gets me, like even on RU i've had people be like 'oh you have indoor ducks? Your house must stink!' :roll: Yes because poop can't be picked up :lol:

I genuinely didn't know ducks could be suitable indoor pets!! However I haven't then assumed your house must stink! That's awesome you have indoor ducks!! I love ducks!

I genuinely didn't know how sick rabbits could get within a short period of time until I came to RU and got Winston. I think the myth they are easy/non sickly animals is a very dangerous myth!

That spaying is strictly to "curb bad behaviour" I get few people round here saying that, that coupled with "it's vets trying to con more money out"...that one isn't so much people are person to be fair but my nose nearly bled at trying to process the insanity.

That and most of what folks have mentioned;

- space
- diet like carrots and museli
- their cuddly and love to be held
- that trancing is them being calm....
- innoculations aren't necessary
- kept with guineas etc

I had someone try to convince me that siblings won't attempt to mate with each other. Umm.....yes. They will, if you let them :lol:

That's on the internet somewhere. Wild rabbits have a slightly different breeding pattern. Not saying its true, but I read it too.

How would you recommend people get rid of rabbits that are eating everything they had grown?

My cousin didn't buy the allotment to grow in it, he's too lazy for that. We are pretty convinced he just bought it to shoot rabbits in it..

He actually bought it off someone which I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to do? I'm sure the council here have to assign them to you x

Last edited:
Back