• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet another Hay Thread (Sorry!)

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Needed some more hay over the weekend, but didnt have time to get to the usual place so popped to local garden centre.

They have a fairly decent pet shop type area there, buns have quite a bit of space etc and lots of good natural treats for sale.

Usually i have meadow hay (clear bag with green / white writing), but they didnt sell it :( so i picked up another bag which smelt GORGEOUS and had chamomile and dandelion in it.

Got it home, it just smelt so lovely, i couldnt stop sniffing it :shock: lol

Gave some to Biscuit, who sniffed, nommed one piece and ran away from it. He then proceeded to knock over the hay rack, empty the box i put it in and removed it from his litter tray and refused to go near any of it.

I don't get it :( it's lovely and green, smells lovely, is very fresh but he just won't touch it. I don't mind the cost, it was only £3.20, but wish he'd eat it, but i guess he's a fussy begger!

Going to keep it and try it again in a few days mixed in with the old hay to see if he will, if not, i guess i have to throw it away ?

Slight 'P.S' - how long does hay last if kept in a cool dry place ? Just wondering if i could keep it until Ginger arrives to see if she'd like it or not?

Most types of hay are usually harvested once a year in the summer. Therefore if hay is kept dry and clean it should last for many, many months.

mylo didnt like this type of hay at first but now he scoffs it down and loves it, i just give him a little bit of this and also some normal hay! he loves it, so just keep tryin it!

I know the feeling. :roll::roll: Spenser's previous owner recommended Excel Herbage, which I needed a lift and 30 minute drive to pruchase. Wouldn't have anything to do with it.:roll::roll: Now he nom-noms meadaow hay from the local pet shop, and a sprinkling of readigrass from The Hay Experts.

Some of mine are a bit funny about what hay they have. The only stuff I can get Cloud to eat is the cheap nasty stuff from Jollyes. I guess perhaps that's all she's had her whole life. She was seven when I got her so it must be pretty ingrained in her brain that cheap hay is yummy. :roll::lol: Still, it's kinder to my purse!

Readigrass goes down well with everyone else. And oat hay. The Burgess stuff with marigolds in normally doesn't get turned away either. :wave:

they all have their preferences don't they?! :lol:
Mine don't seem too particular, but the stuff they like the best is what i bring back from the stables - the stuff I feed my horse - very tough coarse stalky stuff and it gets nommed very quickly.

Just wondered - I put my horse onto haylage in the winter - I'm assuming its a no-no for bunnies??? Not that they would need it anyway.

Some buns are funny little tykes aren't they? :lol:

Its like Carlo is scared of carrots, he sniffs thumps and runs away, he will also dig it and throw it, but run away as if its going to get up and chase him :lol:

Its like Carlo is scared of carrots, he sniffs thumps and runs away, he will also dig it and throw it, but run away as if its going to get up and chase him :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Bless him.

Mine will only eat slices of carrot, never a carrot stick, or god forbid, a whole one... but they certainly aren't afraid of the vegetation :lol:

xxx

:lol::lol::lol: Bless him.

Mine will only eat slices of carrot, never a carrot stick, or god forbid, a whole one... but they certainly aren't afraid of the vegetation :lol:

xxx

It is funny he is so unsure of anything new, but if he is in his own space he rules the roost :lol:

i always mix hays together, so that the buns can dig in the hay basket for their favourite bits. they've got green oat, meadow, herbage and forage at the moment.

I mix up 4 types of Hay for Basil. He likes to try new things, so any new hay he dives into with relish and ignores some of the other Hay. So I'll leave one or two out for a week or so then re-introduce them and he thinks they're new:D.

Aren't they just. Read that they could have butternut squash so gave them a few tiny cubes this morning. They are still there! Guess I'll roast the rest and have it myself!

Back