• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you give up your bunnies if circumstances changed?

Hey aren't you supposed to be writing an essay anyway ;)

Yup. It's too hard, so I thought I'd procrastinate for a while and found myself back here :lol:

*reels it back onto topic*

I would give mine up if circumstances meant that I was unable to provide them with basic reasonable care for any length of time including suitable and clean accommodation and exercise, food and water, or veterinary treatment. Alas love isn't enough if you end up with rabbits living in a carrier or denied veterinary treatment. I guess if there was a short-term problem I would try and sort out foster or boarding for them, but in the event of there being a problem that is unlikely to be resolved in a period of time that would result in detriment to the bunnies welfare, I would give them up.

I would give mine up if circumstances meant that I was unable to provide them with basic reasonable care for any lengthof time including suitable and clean accommodation and exercise, food and water, or veterinary treatment. Alas love isn't enough if you end up with rabbits living in a carrier or denied veterinary treatment.

This is what I meant...I cannot imagine it happening but I guess you never know what will happen in the future

Hohum, I was one of those people said I would never give up my bunnies unless I had no home.
But you can never predict the future, I also wonder some people are so set in there own ways, do you judge others for not doing the same?

Mine are in a foster home with Sephs friend for 6months, was looking at everything for them really as I have a sick daughter and my rabbits would not get the attention they deserved as noone will be around after 2weeks time, they would get food/water/vet care but theres noway we could give them the attention they crave, thats to myself is enough suffering as mine adore people.

Hohum, I was one of those people said I would never give up my bunnies unless I had no home.
But you can never predict the future, I also wonder some people are so set in there own ways, do you judge others for not doing the same?

Mine are in a foster home with Sephs friend for 6months, was looking at everything for them really as I have a sick daughter and my rabbits would not get the attention they deserved as noone will be around after 2weeks time, they would get food/water/vet care but theres noway we could give them the attention they crave, thats to myself is enough suffering as mine adore people.

aww hun you really are getting it rough :cry::cry::cry:

i do not judge, i never have but i was on the receiving end of judgement on the last thread like this.. people were actually having ago at me because is said never :lol::lol::lol::lol: dont matter what you do RU judges ya. most important thing is you know your doing right by your family so sod everyone else :D

I'd like to think I'm not judgemental. :oops:

Circumstances are different for everyone. And the saying 'never say never' is SO true.

I don't think anyone on here would 'just give up' their animals because it all got a little bit tough. I would think that anyone that had to make that choice would be doing it for the same reasons you had to find an alternative - because they have to do what is best for their buns.
Putting their needs first is all any of us can hope for.

if i die, my daughter says she'll take them. she didn't look all that pleased, though! she has two of her own. mine would have to become outdoor buns, i suppose. if i knew in advance i was on my way out, i'd ask her if i could buy them a nice set up to use in her back yard.

and i can fully understand anyone having circumstance-changes that mean they have to give up their pets. saying 'if i die' is the one i've planned for, but who knows what will happen in the future?

As with everyone else, I hope it never happens, but there are certainly circumstances when the needs of the buns would be met more fully by being given up than by staying: serious health problems - long hospital stay for example, or being bed ridden or my death (no way o/h could look after them as he's out 12-14 hours a day at work), becoming homeless.

I don't have any friends or family who could realistically take on my bunnies, so I'll have to hope that none of the above happen in Daisy and Jester's lifetimes.

The thing is we are now expecting twins and as such the bunny room is having to be converted into a nursery. This means that the bunnies have had to go outdoors.

I don't like the idea but needs must I guess. They just have less room than before, though they can still come out to play. Plus outdoors is colder, windier etc...

Also, we have 3 bunnies. However Cookie is anti-bunny (or was) and so she used to live downstairs and watch tv with us, etc. Lots of attention. Now she is on her own in her hutch and I was wondering about attempting to rebond her with the other 2.

Though last time she attacked one of the others...

Is rebonding a good idea?

I wouldn't have an outdoor bunny alone so I would consider trying rebonding, do you have space/money for two pairs?

I wouldn't worry about the pair being outside as long as they have safe secure accommodation, plenty of room and each other they will be fine.

Terminal illness. Steady deterioration of health over a long period. Although I would do my best to keep the less-easily rehomable ones - ie Calel with his aggression, despite the fact I am more closely bonded with others.

If I was unemployed, I would get as many jobs as I could to meet my financial commitments, but rehoming become a possibility if anybun became ill & I couldn't get a loan/credit card/borrow off family/friends

If I could no longer afford to feed, keep them clean and treat any illness then I would have to rehome.

As with everyone else, I hope it never happens, but there are certainly circumstances when the needs of the buns would be met more fully by being given up than by staying: serious health problems - long hospital stay for example, or being bed ridden or my death (no way o/h could look after them as he's out 12-14 hours a day at work), becoming homeless.

I don't have any friends or family who could realistically take on my bunnies, so I'll have to hope that none of the above happen in Daisy and Jester's lifetimes.

Hopefully nothing bad will happen like you say.....i'll take your two if needed,do you want to take my 5?!:shock:

well consider im crawling on my hands and knees every night feeding them, siatica, just spent my own dental money for frostys care, my son said to me today im a good bunny mommie :oops:

so id have to be on deaths door to give them up, as 4 of mine are rescues, technically on paper work they would have to go back to the rescue, unless they were happy with my choice of new home for them

I wouldn't have an outdoor bunny alone so I would consider trying rebonding, do you have space/money for two pairs?

I wouldn't worry about the pair being outside as long as they have safe secure accommodation, plenty of room and each other they will be fine.

We took them to the vets today for a check up just to see that them being outside isn't affecting them. All is ok.

Cookie is the one I am most concerned about as she is on her own. We have thought about another husbun for her but there is no guarauntee that she will accept a new bun and we don't really want to get one then have to give it away, its not fair on the bunny.

Plus Cookie is traumatised that she missed Jeremy Kyle in the morning and her Star Trek fix in the evening! When she is let in for a run she immediately jumps on the sofa and watches TV! :D Maybe a mini tv in her hutch....

Plus a forth bunny would really be pushing space and we don't really have that extra space as of yet. Financially its not so much of an issue.

Seeing as I am on easter hols we are going to try to reintegrate them all as a trio and hopefully that will work and everything will work out happy. Cookie is the heffer of the three so if she did decide to throw her weight around I would be concerned about her hurting the other two. I just hope that doesn't throw the dynamic of Smudge and Rufus out and break their bond. More bunny politics!

Back