• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would I need a run with this hutch from Animal Magic?

We personally would not rehome to a hutch like this without the following adjustments:

* Adding wood to the sides and back to make it more enclosed and more weatherproof (the hutch part alone is far too small)
* Having an additional permanently attached run of at least 6ft x 4ft

It would be cheaper for you to get a 6ft happy hutch combo at £155.00
Or buying a playhouse on ebay, and attaching a run.

I bought a pretty little playhouse on ebay, it is 5ft x 5ft, for £50!

I had one of these ages ago. I set it all up on concrete and popped Mulberry in it and felt quite proud of it at the time. Mulberry was my favourite bunny, he was like a little dog, so naturally he got the nice new hutch!

The very first night Mulberry was in it, some delightful creature came along, pulled the smallest wire panel on the end right out of the frame and left Mulberry, minus his head, in the middle of my garden. :shock::(

The hutch went on the bonfire.

I'd never buy a hutch with this type of wire ever again. The wire is spaced perfectly for predators to get their strong jaws round it (and to let mice and rats in!) and the framework of the wired areas is weak as anything and incredibly chewable from a bunnies point of view, the wood is also very soft and soaks up rain water like a sponge. They're built to look pretty, not to last.

I'd never buy a hutch with this type of wire ever again. The wire is spaced perfectly for predators to get their strong jaws round it (and to let mice and rats in!) and the framework of the wired areas is weak as anything and incredibly chewable from a bunnies point of view, the wood is also very soft and soaks up rain water like a sponge. They're built to look pretty, not to last.

That's so sad, and also scary. :(

That's so sad, and also scary. :(

It wasn't very pleasant. :( I don't know what pulled the wire panel out - The most obvious thing is a fox but we had a badger sett in our garden too and the neighbour had a slightly bonkers labrador which I suppose could have got in...

Anyway, my point being, I really hate this type of wire and the wooden frame work it sits in. It's just not strong enough IMO and the hutches don't last more than six months even inside a shed because the rabbits will chew the frame and the wire falls out. :shock:

I have this hutch for my two and it's ok as my lovely hubby has extended it so much there is now plenty of room for them both. To be honest, I'm now looking at a shed we can convert as the hutch isn't going to last very long and I've only had it a year so far. Also, a shed may be safer for them at night too. I really wished I done this in the first place as the total cost of the extentions etc is well over £300 + which is the rough cost of a nice shed around our way :shock:

We personally would not rehome to a hutch like this without the following adjustments:

* Adding wood to the sides and back to make it more enclosed and more weatherproof (the hutch part alone is far too small)
* Having an additional permanently attached run of at least 6ft x 4ft

It would be cheaper for you to get a 6ft happy hutch combo at £155.00
Or buying a playhouse on ebay, and attaching a run.

I bought a pretty little playhouse on ebay, it is 5ft x 5ft, for £50!

Agree with Kris,

we don't rehome to those unless modified for all weather as Kris has described and an additional run attached.

Back