• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would attempting bonding be a good idea?

Bbrown

New Kit
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this:

I've currently got a fairly young male bunny who I rescued after he was abandoned. He's been checked out by a vet and is healthy. We're planning to get him neutered when he's a tiny bit older and bigger as I'm concerned he might still be too young. He's the friendliest bunny I've ever had, always climbing up onto my lap and I've been a bit worried he might be lonely so we were planning to get him a friend once he's neutered.

As usual, there's a complication. A friend of a friend has a three year old male rabbit who used to belong to her deceased uncle. Sadly, both her and her children are allergic to animals so he has to find a new home right away. She's tried to give him away but had no takers as there are lots of baby bunnies for sale in the area, so she's asked me to take him. As he's a lovely bunny, extremely placid and affectionate, I'm happy to have him.

What I want people's opinion on is whether it would be a good idea to allow the two bunnies to meet and play under supervision. As far as I know, the new bunny was neutered by her uncle, he is up to date on his vaccinations and has lived peacefully with a dog in the past. I don't intend for them to be left alone together or to sleep together in the same place and I'm in two minds about letting them meet even though neither has never been aggressive. What do you think?

I would take him but wait til you get your Buck neutered before you attempt to bond them.
I have just bonded two neutered unrelated Bucks and it was easier than any neutered Buck/spayed Doe bond I have done !!

Good luck :)

:wave: Hi Jane, look at my reply to Ash's question about bonding (on the Health bit for some reason ;) ) Ta :)

I too have 2 bonded males and they were a dream to bond.

Don't attempt anything, even through hutches etc. until baby bun is neutered. You can try bonding them 6 weeks after his op.

Good luck!

I've taken in the new bunny and decided to keep them apart for the time being, especially as having checked our new guy (Thumper) over I think he needs neutering too... There was no way I was leaving him with the woman who is now my friend's ex-friend- she had him in a cat carry case and was feeding him only carrots! I'll be taking them both to be neutered as soon as I can and then I'll keep you all up to date with their progress.

I would say it is worth a go as long as you follow the rules, however do ensure that the youngest is neutered for a good few weeks first.

I had two males bonded and they were great together. It is definately worth a try but both MUST be neutered. Mine had a massive fight whenthey got together before being neutered!

Back