• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about my oldish bun

I'm worried about my beloved Benji. He's 7 years old and has always lived outside. Hasn't been handled very much so isn't a fan of human company, but has always had a furry companion to live with. We lost his mate 6 months ago and he's been okay, but I don't think he's been very happy since (I've only seem him binky/zoom twice in these 6 months).

He used to always be out of his hutch but since we moved house 2 months ago, he'll only come out for 5-10 mins a day. In the last 2 weeks we've also noticed he seems reluctant to even come down his stairs/ladder.

I'm sure he's lonely and really needs a friend, but we're reluctant to get another bun as when Benji passes we'll likely need to get another bun to fill the void that he leaves and it could be a never-ending cycle (plus I'm not sure we could love another bun the way we love Benj).

What would you suggest we do to make his life at least a little happier?

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your thread. I suspect that is because it's not a simple issue to advise on. I'm also very sorry that you have lost Benji's bonded partner :(

It certainly sounds as though your rabbit is depressed, but just to make sure there is no underlying health issue, I would get a vet to examine him.

Other than that, as you have identified, an ideal solution would be to get him another partner, but I can appreciate your reasons why you are not keen to do that. I wonder if your local rescue would have a foster rabbit that you could give a home to while Benji was alive and then return him or her.

You could also change things around a bit within his accommodation. Rabbits are curious creatures and if things are different, he might start to investigate.

Lastly, whilst you consider that he is not a fan of human company, could you consider bringing him inside and having him as a house rabbit. At least he would see people in the family more often, which might cheer him up.

Seconded - he will be lonely, and there may be some health issues if his behaviour has changed so much. Even if he's not a people bunny, he will have more interaction if he's indoors and you will be able to keep an eye on him more. Getting another bunny friend is probably what he would prefer, but may not be what you want. Fostering is a good way forward - maybe an older rabbit, or one with other issues that makes it harder to rehome, but may be ideal for a long term foster - win-win.

I'm worried about my beloved Benji. He's 7 years old and has always lived outside. Hasn't been handled very much so isn't a fan of human company, but has always had a furry companion to live with. We lost his mate 6 months ago and he's been okay, but I don't think he's been very happy since (I've only seem him binky/zoom twice in these 6 months).

He used to always be out of his hutch but since we moved house 2 months ago, he'll only come out for 5-10 mins a day. In the last 2 weeks we've also noticed he seems reluctant to even come down his stairs/ladder.

I'm sure he's lonely and really needs a friend, but we're reluctant to get another bun as when Benji passes we'll likely need to get another bun to fill the void that he leaves and it could be a never-ending cycle (plus I'm not sure we could love another bun the way we love Benj).

What would you suggest we do to make his life at least a little happier?

Hi, I’m so sorry benji lost his partner. My girl just lost hers a couple weeks ago & has been depressed also. It’s really heartbreaking. I understand how you feel about another. I think rabbits can live 15 years & if benji did it would be so long by himself. What about getting an older rescue bunny the same age? I got another bunny for Bella & she’s older & he’s young. I couldn’t take an older 1 as there were none where I am. I just accepted it will be bunnies for life I guess lol. Honestly you could love another as when you get them no matter what you do love them. I took Bella inside with us after losing shadow & being at the vets as she really wasn’t happy out there alone. I’m going to try bonding her with Morgan & he has to be kept in till spring as advised here as he’s never been out & doesn’t have a winter coat xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everything thats been said above, Benji might enjoy being indoors, company and a new environment could make a big difference. I hope you find a solution xx

I wonder if a rescue would let you foster a rabbit as company for Benji in his lifetime who could then be returned to the rescue?

Thanks for all your replies. I think I already knew what we'd need to do for Benji. I'm going to try and find him a companion as lots of you suggested :)

Thanks for all your replies. I think I already knew what we'd need to do for Benji. I'm going to try and find him a companion as lots of you suggested :)

Hi, that’s great news [emoji846]. Hopefully you find another forever companion for him xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back