• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming

Do you worm your buns

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I do not think it is necessary

• No - but I will start getting my buns done

• Not really considered this before

• Total voters
BirdieBun said:
thanks Jane - do you worm your buns?

Do you recommend it is done?

I have wormed the most recent arrivals before introducing them to anyBun already here. I guess as it is now recommended that all Buns are wormed then I should do them all........ :?
Not too sure really. Will speak with Christobel about it.

Janex

The thing is though, now Pancuar have brought out this new thingy, maybe they will push for regular worming because it's all £££'s in the bank for them. Carys said that there was posters all over her vets and it was in RO mag they're really doing the hard sell.

I dont think its all about money in the bank for them. Panacur rabbit is designed more to prevent E-C than worms and considering as much as 50% of all rabbits either have or have been in contact with E-C at some point in their life it is important to prevent them developing symptoms. Personally I use the panacur puppy/kitten liquid as it is cheaper and it contains exactly the same drug (fenbendazole) as panacur rabbit and I have never had a bunny develop side effects from it.
I have seen bunnies with really bad symptoms as a result of E-C and its not nice :(

Can rabbits just develop ec though, I know it's different for you Cheryl because you're a rescue, but just wondering for Carys as her buns don't come in contact with other buns. So would they still need 6 monthly treatment, I honestly don't know so am very curious. :D

SOAD said:
Can rabbits just develop ec though, I know it's different for you Cheryl because you're a rescue, but just wondering for Carys as her buns don't come in contact with other buns. So would they still need 6 monthly treatment, I honestly don't know so am very curious. :D

They can get it from their mother before they are even weaned. Infected rabbits can go months or years without showing any symptoms atall, some may never have any symptoms, the only way you are going to know if your bunny has it is by blood testing. A lot of health problems in bunnies can be E-C related, luckily some vets are getting better at recognising the symptoms. There is a good article on the RWF website about E-C http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

Thank you so much, I think perhaps I should be getting mine done too, Cheers for the info :thumb:

from what I have read, all rabbits have worms anyway, they are harmless though but if they become a problem ie: loads in their poo and the rabbit is loosing weight, then a vet should advise to worm :wink: :D This is another good reason to regularly check a buns weight :D

Denny said:
from what I have read, all rabbits have worms anyway, they are harmless though but if they become a problem ie: loads in their poo and the rabbit is loosing weight, then a vet should advise to worm :wink: :D This is another good reason to regularly check a buns weight :D

Mine are fat :oops:

SOAD said:
Denny said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so it sounds like yours could do with a dose of worms then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always remember this awful documentary where this girl had deliberately swallowed a tap worm so that she could stay thin :shock: :shock: :shock: they had to surgically remove it and OMG, it was like a snake :shock: :shock: :shock:

Denny said:
SOAD said:
Denny said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so it sounds like yours could do with a dose of worms then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always remember this awful documentary where this girl had deliberately swallowed a tap worm so that she could stay thin :shock: :shock: :shock: they had to surgically remove it and OMG, it was like a snake :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They need worms yeah :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG did it work though, maybe I could set up a tape worm business for people wanting to lose weight :lol: :lol:

SOAD said:
Denny said:
SOAD said:
Denny said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They need worms yeah :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG did it work though, maybe I could set up a tape worm business for people wanting to lose weight :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeh it did, she was some kind of dancer so needed to stay slim but the prob was, the tapworm grew and she was boardering anerexia (sp) so had to have emergency surgery :shock: :shock: it was horrible, it looked like a spagetti anaconda :shock: :shock: it did not put her off seeing it though, she said she would do it again :shock: :shock: :shock:

what would you call the business 'weight watcher worms' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yuk sounds horrible :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: , or slimming worms :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rabbit specific Panacur has only been on general release since approx December 2006. It is Panacur who sponsored the National Rabbit Week free Health Checks as a way of promoting the new idea of worming rabbits, along with free samples of the panacur rabbit worming paste.

Before this, it was common practise to give rabbits the Panacur for cats in suspect EC cases. The rabbit Panacur is a more concentrated dose, designed specifically for rabbits with the aim of helping to try to prevent EC cases. Worming is perhaps not really the term that should be used, however, it is possible that more people are likely to use it if it is labelled as such as they will make the connection with dogs and cats needing regular worming, which is common knowledge.

Fortunately, although very gradually, rabbits are finally beginning to be seen as pets such as cats and dogs and not quite disposable any more. (although I know we do see a lot of cases, but it is the same with cats and dog s too) Therefore, many companies are trying to woden and research the rabbit care market some more, which is what Panacur have done. They've discovered benefits in "worming" and are trying to raise awareness of what many people will see as a radical idea.

Back