• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WoodShavings

Snowy1997

Young Bun
Shall I Put Woodshavings All Over The Hutch Because Some People Have Said That It Is Bad For Them If They Breath It In Etc.

I was told woodshaving can cause problems for rabbits, I am sure somebody will be able to explain this more fully.

I use megazorb in litter trays and top this with hay and straw on the hutch flooring to keep them warm on top of newspaper.

I've not had a problem with shavings in 15 years. I tend to put a fairly deep layer in the toilet areas and a very thin layer across the rest of the floor and cover it all with hay.

I don't use straw though as it has caused digestive problems in the past.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=178252&highlight=shavings Wood shavings are best avoided in all small animals. They can cause liver problems, respiratory problems and also skin problems particuarly in piggies.

Many post mortems done on small animals including rabbits who have been bedded on shavings often are found to have substantial amounts of shavings in their lungs where they end up breating it in. Some rescue rabbits who come in with what appears to be pasteurella and have been kept on wood shavings often recover spontaneously when removed and bedded on to hay or lino with lage quantities of hay in a litter tray and hay rack.

I just put a little bit in and under their litter trays. It also discourages flies so I've heard. I dont think Id use it all over the hutch floor though.

There is no need for shavings at all now a days - especially as know it does cause respiratory problems....aubiose is a great alternative or megazorb...

:wave:

I use a layer of newspaper then some auboise- throughout the entire hutch, then wood pellets for litter , covered with hay. Find this is working really well for my lot- I still have an old bag of shavings, i don't think i'd use them again, unless i was absolutely desperate for bedding, which is unlikely. I did keep mine on them in the past though. Some I've had problems with, like my respiratory buns, others have been fine. I don't think it's worth risking if you can find a safer alternative.

they are bad for them, as janice said, the damage isn't evident until a post mortem. i would avoid them. :wave:

I used to bed mine on shavings before I came onto this forum, now I have hay and straw. Just to be safe I would also avoid it. :wave:

What is auboise and megazorb? What are they made of and can they go on the compost with the rest of the rabbit waste?

Don't know about Auboise but Megazorb is just paper. We put it on our compost. Dad says it rots better than the cat pellet litter.

Aubiose rots down brilliantly so can go on the compost heap with no problems. It's very absorbant and very comfortable for animals to stand on.

How do the alternatives compare in terms of cost? We have got 6 bunnies and use shavings.

I think actually i spend less on Megazorb than I did with shavings. I do use litter trays now though whereas before I covered the whole cage. Megazorb is about £7.50 (unless you buy online which means a £5 or so P&P charge) and I get about one bag a month. Litter trays are changed every 2-3 days.

:wave: I've always used carefresh, I pay £17.99 for a 60 litre bag which lasts me about 2-4 months depending on the season, megazorb is more economic as it lasts much longer but I found it was dustier, it's all down to what ever suits you and your bun best but as stated I would definitely avoid shavings they should just stop selling it in pet shops so that people opt for the alternatives in my opinion :)

How do the alternatives compare in terms of cost? We have got 6 bunnies and use shavings.

I buy a 20Kg bag of aubiose & it last for ages! for £9. I have 2 buns.
Its great as you need very little or if you choose to put loads you can just scoop out the wet bits & leave the rest.
I like it as when the buns wee - it gets absorbed & goes under the top layer - so its always dry where they sit.
Ive not used Megazorb - but have used carefresh - I think they are quite similar...it was great except one of my buns decided it was also great to eat...and she started teaching my other bun to eat it too - so had to stop useing that - hence why I change to aubiose.

Heres the link for aubiose:

http://www.aubiose.co.uk/

Most horse or feed places stock it.

Not sure if Surrey Pet Supplies are near you - but they have both Aubiose & Megazorb.

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/horse-bedding.html

:D

Aspen shavings don't cause any respiratory problems but it's easier and cheaper not to use shavings. I just use newspaper.

Is a 20kg bale the same size as a bale of shavings?

sorry not sure - can check next time Im in a feed store....maybe someone else will know! But the aubiose I use is quite compressed...so its more than it looks like even though its huge anyway!:D

Back