• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wonky back legs

Reno

New Kit
My lion head just turned 7 on October 30th and he has never had any health issues. When I brought him into my living room to play today, his hind legs are acting funny. He can put pressure on them and move them both but they don’t seem to be in sync. He is holding one up a bit but it doesn’t seem to be a conscious act. I massaged both and he wasn’t in any pain. He attempts to run around as normal(and thump at me) but he splays sideways and falls over to a laying down position. He has no head tilt or any issues with his front half. When he sits his back right side sort of dips and it forces him to keep slowly spinning to stay sitting up. He is pooping a lot but he does that all the time so I wouldn’t call it a symptom just yet…

Does anyone have any guidance? Is it just old age and cold weather, or is it a parasite, stoke, cancer? I’m at a loss. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Reno,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your rabbit is struggling. You will need to see a rabbit savvy vet, there are a few things that spring to mind but he really needs to be seen . Best of luck, let us know how he gets on

There’s unfortunately no small animals vets near me so it would have to be just a regular vet if they would even see me. He’s definitely not in any pain, but I would hate to not get him started on any meds asap just because I didn’t know any better.

There’s unfortunately no small animals vets near me so it would have to be just a regular vet if they would even see me. He’s definitely not in any pain, but I would hate to not get him started on any meds asap just because I didn’t know any better.

Good luck getting him seen. If it was E.C. for example (which is a parasite) he'd benefit from starting treatment asap, the vet will need to rule out injury, ear infection etc

If you wanted to post your rough location here some members might be able to recommend a bunny savvy practice in your area - they are worth their weight in gold & save you lots in cash & heartache

Back