• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will neighbours cats hurt my rabbits?

There's a thread about detering cats in GC.

I wouldnt leave them unattended but from previous experience, my first bun could quite often be found snuggled up to the local neighbourhood stray :lol::lol::lol:

Be wary of starting arguments with neighbours over it because you cant tell a cat where/ where it cant go - the owner will have no control over that and you dont want to have bad neighbour relations because of it. :thumb:

They could always build it a run the same way we do for our bunnies. Rabbits have a territory of around a quarter of a mile in the wild but because they're domestic pets, we contain them. Don't see why it shouldn't be the same for cats. Then there would be no more "my cat's gone missing/my cat's been run over/my cat's been mauled by a dog" threads on RU. Just a thought ;).

They could always build it a run the same way we do for our bunnies. Rabbits have a territory of around a quarter of a mile in the wild but because they're domestic pets, we contain them. Don't see why it shouldn't be the same for cats. Then there would be no more "my cat's gone missing/my cat's been run over/my cat's been mauled by a dog" threads on RU. Just a thought ;).

try telling my cats to stay in a run! :lol:

My cat showed slight interest in the rabbits at first, in particular the ones with big floppy ears, but now she doesn't even look at them, I have not seen any other cats in the garden, not even my other 2 cats

My two lovely rabbits came and went from their hutch when they pleased and had fun in the garden free - for two years. A new uneutered Tom cat has recently arrived in the area and tragically this morning I found my wonderful very large fluffy lop eared rabbit dead on the lawn - no marks but fluff everywhere and blood on his mouth (not his own) - I believe the cat has attacked and Elwood has died of a heart attack. whilst I loved him having a lovely free life with his pal my lionhead Jake it has cost him his life and I will probably keep Jake restricted to his hutch from now on unless I am sitting in the garden!!

So please please be careful with your rabbits we are just devastated today :(

I'm sorry you've joined the forum in such sad circumstances and am so sorry for your loss. :(:( We have a section called Rainbow Bridge if you would like to post a tribute to Elwood. xx

the problem with cats..if you don't wish to have them as pets and don't like them pooing in your garden and annoying your pets and catching wild birds..is
these days there are too many in built up areas and saying you can't tell a pet cat where to go and not go is not a good enough reason to make others put up with them
Either they are pets ....so keep them contained like other pets, or they are not, in which case don't have them.
So the large cat runs is a great idea, afterall a lot of breeders use them. Why should we contain other pets but not cats, which even the biggest cat lover has to admit are a pest to others.
Sorry to seem harsh but my front garden is full of cat poo and I don't own or wish to own one. I also don't want to have to spend money on deterrents for other peoples' responsibility or cover my garen in the various home made ways of keeping them off.
I can be fined if i allow my dogs to foul the pavement..I don't by the way I have always cleared up after my dogs..yet i have to clean poo from at least 4 cats out of MY garden:censored:

it depends on the amount of work you want to do to keep the cats out. You can screw a small trestle along the top of the fence all around the perimeter. The trestle is too flimsy to hold a cat and should be just a touch too high to jump. The trestle I used (sold here in Australia) is about 1 foot high (30cm) and about 4 feet long.

My last rabbit was quite big, cats didn't ever both him. They would normally just walk past the fence. I was always about. Maybe you could ask her to keep her cats out of your garden or you could chase them until they get the hint!

it depends on the amount of work you want to do to keep the cats out. You can screw a small trestle along the top of the fence all around the perimeter. The trestle is too flimsy to hold a cat and should be just a touch too high to jump. The trestle I used (sold here in Australia) is about 1 foot high (30cm) and about 4 feet long.

This is a really old thread, but I would be interested to see the 'trestle' you talk about, if you can post a photo.

Foxes and cats can be a grave danger to rabbits!

Back