• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will anyone be rearguarding this year?

To rearguard or to not rearguard

• Total voters
I've never had problems with mucky bottoms... and I check mine twice daily. ^^' Last year, my neighbour really :censored: me off though. He has a large purple flowering bush that he never cuts back, and it grows over the fence bordering on the back yard where my rabbit hutches are. This bush attracts lots of flies... It's the male flies (I found out) that like sweet things, like nectar, so loads of them would buzz around it. I didn't want any female fly drifting down looking for a mate, and thinking a hutch below was an easy place to find a place to lay her eggs. :roll:

So, the bus was chopped back to the other side of his fence - without asking his permission, but he never complained and if he had tried to, I'd have snapped. He's an appalling neighbour. The bunnies were cleaned out daily in the summer, bum-checked (which did not amuse them in the slightest), and I went on some plant growing craze where I had a list of plants and herbs to keep flies away with their scents. It was fun! I'm doing it again this year. My little Lavendar bush needs a friend, but it's bigger than it was last year! :lol: I tried growing Basil, and Cat Nip, too... The Basil however was eaten by snails, and I gave the untouched bits to the bunnies. The Cat Nip... well, our cats attacked it. I rescued two plants of it, and over the winter they've grown bigger and more stick-like, so they'll be up to living outdoors this year (out of reach of both bunnies and cats!)

i will probably only use it if either bun becomes a high risk, they are both amazingly clean and are not fat or old enough to have cleaning dificulties... i also have a fly zapper but i want a more powerful one for when we go to scotland... the flies we get seem more interested in the chipmunk cage than the rabbits hiding under the sofa....

is it really risky if they are house rabbits?

i think as long as there are flys about theres a risk... if thier home is clean and they dont have messy bums the flys probably wont be interested in them and will look for somewhere dirty to hang out like rotting food or whatever they lay eggs in... i dont even fully understand what flies are the culprits :?

House Rabbit

:? Ive Read A Lot About Fly Strike But As Billy Is A Indoor Rabbit, Is He Still Likely To Contract It????

well their cages are kept really clean as they live in my living room and i don't want that stinking. i clean their litter trays everyday and i always to bum checks, esp in hot weather. All my buns have clean fluffy bottys as well so i guess i am lucky in that respect.

Also, my partner is an expert fly killer so they have that for protection too :D

i think as long as there are flys about theres a risk... if thier home is clean and they dont have messy bums the flys probably wont be interested in them and will look for somewhere dirty to hang out like rotting food or whatever they lay eggs in... i dont even fully understand what flies are the culprits :?
I'm pretty sure the main danger is from the bluebottle and greenbottles, so the little hoverflies that you see buzzing around bushes are not a danger, as they are attracted to sweet nectary smells, not rabbit wee. Bluebottles and greenbottles, on the other hand like the dirty stuff..manure, decaying material etc I rearguarded last year and am in two minds at the moment. None of my buns are overweight or have dirty bum problems and their hutches are clean and I have fly netting up during the summer.

This is interesting to read. I almost started to feel irresponsible last summer for not using rear guard! When I've visited the vets they have posters up about flystrike which I think are actually sponsored by rear guard. But my vet has never suggested using it and just re-inforced the need for regular bum checks. I've never had a sticky bum problem with either of my rabbits so I've not seen the need to use rear guard as I believed that the flies would only lay the eggs on the rabbit is the rabbit was messy to start with. However if I'm wrong please correct me.

Hannah

I'm not planning on using it, unless I have reason to (eg bun unable to clean etc.)
I use sticky fly papers, don't sweep away cobwebs, bum checks and most importantly of all - regularly clean litter trays...
I'll probably get some citronella oil to rub into the hutches too to act as a deterrent :)

I'm pretty sure the main danger is from the bluebottle and greenbottles, so the little hoverflies that you see buzzing around bushes are not a danger, as they are attracted to sweet nectary smells, not rabbit wee. Bluebottles and greenbottles, on the other hand like the dirty stuff..manure, decaying material etc I rearguarded last year and am in two minds at the moment. None of my buns are overweight or have dirty bum problems and their hutches are clean and I have fly netting up during the summer.

are they the big noisy buzzing ones *shudders* are the flys that bother horses the bluebottles and green bottles? stes moms house is right next to farm land and horses are in a field outside her house, theres loads of flies but i dunno what they are... they hang out in the middle of rooms and fly about the horses (city girl not too clued up on flys) i may actually consider the guard thing when we visit scotland if those nasties are to blame for flystrike

arrrgggghhhh so confused lol

Yes, we will rearguard, but we only tend to do it in the very hot weeks of the summer when the flies are very active.

Our buns spend most of the day outside, and having dealt with several bouts of flystrike with Mishka (all caught in time thankfully), we came to realise how incredibly difficult it can be to spot, the eggs can hatch in a matter of hours and then the baby maggots snuggle away out of sight.

Although Mishka was high risk with a dirty bum, we still saw bluebottles landing on the other rabbits back ends (including Flump who kept himself immaculate), so we never took the risk.

Yes I'm going to during the hot weather months. We live near a river and have lots of flies and midges around during the summer

I voted yes, as even though I change litter trays everyday and have electric insecticutors in all my sheds and garage I will still be rearguarding as I am just paranoid about flies.

I most definetly will be. She is having her booster next month, and then every 3 months over the summer...really dont want a repeat of last year ( I lost all of my vaccinated buns to myxy due to a dodgy batch) I will be using citronella on the hutches and changing her litter every day..not taking any risks

Does anyone know if rearguard is safe for Piggies

We use rearguard, although we check the rabbits and clean their toilets daily, i would rather be sure they are as potected as much as possible. I don't really worry too much about the chemicals, as they are injected with vaccines, given Xeno 450 for mites and wormed with Panacur- all as preventitive measures- I can't see how Rearguard is any different.

I`m another one in the anti chemical camp:wave:

I do daily litter tray changes & twice daily bum checks & use repellents round their hutches & runs.

I WILL be rear guarding my permanent foster george though as he has periodic urinary icontinence & doesn`t always keep himself 100% clean.

are they the big noisy buzzing ones *shudders* are the flys that bother horses the bluebottles and green bottles? stes moms house is right next to farm land and horses are in a field outside her house, theres loads of flies but i dunno what they are... they hang out in the middle of rooms and fly about the horses (city girl not too clued up on flys) i may actually consider the guard thing when we visit scotland if those nasties are to blame for flystrike

arrrgggghhhh so confused lol

They could be, although they are more likely to be what we call CLEGS in Scotland..horseflies here in England. They give really bad bites, whereas bluebottles don't tend to eat humans!! Females are blood-suckers, biting human beings and livestock. Males drink nectar and plant juices. This is a clegg:
Clegg.jpg

Here's a bluebottle:
bluebottles.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use Rearguard.

I do daily bum checks and clean litter trays twice a day.

If there seem to be lots of flies about, I use citronella on bits of rag tied round their run.

Back