• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why isn't my new baby by eating? Please help

Conejitos

Young Bun
Yesterday I bought a 8 week old bunny from a pet store but for some reason he hasn't been eating, he has been drinking and I saw him him a tiny bit of hay but I Havnt seen him eat pellets or more hay plus he hasn't done any poop he has peed but nothing more... Is he ok? Or is he acting this way because he's just shy and this is all new and different for him? He barely runs he walks a bit but then just sits and stays there... Is he ok? :( I'm really worried please help

He needs immediate Veterinary attention. A Baby Rabbit who has not eaten or poo'd for 24 hours is in big trouble and the outcome could be that he does not survive if you do not get him to a Vet tonight

i agree, he needs to see a vet sooner rather than later. being so young and the stress of moving can cause problems which can become serious in any rabbit, and sometimes more so in a baby. best get to the vets for a check up. let us know how you get on.

if you need help finding a vets, post whereabouts you are and hopefully someone can help. x

I know he may be stressed I called the pet store I got him at and they told me to wait one more to and to call them back and let them know how he's doing they know me well he is drinking and has ate a little bit but still has not pooped and for a check up in Toronto, Canada not sure how much that will be but if he's still the same I will take him to a vet

I don't agree with the pet store: if a rabbit is not eating etc he needs to see a vet urgently.

I know it is your choice but please, PLEASE try and get your bun to a vet... when I first started out with bunnies properly and I didn't know very much I lost a rabbit because he hadn't eaten or pooped for more than 24hrs. It is a very painful death too, I cannot stress enough how important it is to see a vet at this stage :( You might not think he is in pain because rabbits hide it VERY well as they are prey animals and do not want to look sickly and therefore vulnerable to attack from predators.

Unfortunately vet bills are a very normal part of pet ownership and rabbits especially can have a lot of ongoing problems, moreso than a lot of cats or dogs.. you need to be prepared for this :wave:

I just wanted to join in to say get him to a vets. He is unwell and not seeing any poop is a very bad sign as it probably means he isn't eating and rabbits don't eat when they are in pain.

Back