• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do you keep rabbits?

Well....

MY OH and I had pet rats but they all died eventually and he hated the heartbreak of losing them (as they only live for such a short time, it's such a horrid thing to go through so often). Also I had become very allergic to rats, and I'm also allergic to cats (Which are what both our families had mainly had as pets). We both want dogs but aren't in a position to have one right now, and we were both always used to have furry pets!

Then my OH saw Deej when he was a tiny babit and fell in love with him!

Neither of us had ever wanted a rabbit before and my OH maintains he doesn't want (or particularly care about) rabbits but in his words "I just love Dijon" :love: I didn't have a clue about bunnies (don't think I'd ever really met one), and didn't think they were intelligent, loving, pets that you could actually interact with (how wrong was I)!

When we got Deej I didn't really bond with him much at first (I had a LOT of bad stuff going on in my life to deal with), but a while after we moved house and things had settled down my OH was going to work abroad so we decided that Deej could become a house bun (the garden was a jungle and it was easier for me to look after him as a house bun).

Well from there on in it just got better and better! I was soooo happy to find I wasn't allergic to Deej! I learnt a lot about buns here and on other websites. I managed to get Deej a nice cage that he likes and toys and those storage cubes to cordon off all the wires etc and now we live pretty much in harmony!

Deej is litter trained, not much of a chewer and an extremely spoilt and happy house bun. I'd say he's pretty much our top obsession, and we definitely wouldn't be without him!

I love the fact that he loves our attention, and in many ways he has most of the best characteristics of rats, cats and dogs!

Independent yet loves attention and will seek us out. Intelligent and loyal. Inquisitive and cheeky, oh and cute and fuzzy!!! :love: :love: :love:

I just love everything about rabbits and will need to have rabbits in my life for the rest of my life.........for all the reasons given above!!!!!

gosh it really gets up my goat when people say 'oh they don't do anything...they just sit there'. WRONG!!!

They are sooo cute and fluffy and I just want to squish their little faces all day long.:lol: They are also highly intelligent which people often fail to recognise. I also happen to quite like the smell of my rabbits...not sure why... they have a rabbit smell...(obviously...).:D

xx

I have come to the conclusion, I'm a rabbit person (I always thought that I was a guinea pig, horse and hamster one until I got Inky)!

I adore my two, I love it when Inky licks my hand and Smokey bops me with her nose to say 'stroke me now!. I love watching them play, eat and flop down to relax.

Most of all I love it that they always look pleased to see me and they make me giggle at least once a day with their antics, like today when Smokey threw everything around because she was excited about being fed (although not yesterday when Inky threw a basket in my face).

I originally wanted a cat, having had a rabbit when I was a child which bit and terrified me, I didn't like them. Then I started reading the rescue forums looking for a cat, and read a lot about rabbits, and I started to understand WHY my rabbit had bit me when I was a horrible, noisy little girl who chased him around the garden and never gave him a mouthful of hay :( And I was shocked when I realised how sensitive and intelligent they are, and how quiet and easy to neglect :( So I wanted to rescue some rabbits, although I was a commitment-phobe at the time (still am :roll: ) It was just an overwhelming urge I had - didn't make any logical sense at all.

Anyway - 2 years on, what I really enjoy about having rabbits in my life is being outside looking after them - I never used the garden till I got them, just sat in the house reading. I especially love locking them up at night, when they've all had their fresh hay and pellets, all looking contented and munching, and all I can hear is the breeze in the treetops under a starry sky - magic :)

I forgot about the smelll!
Dont you think that when they arent dirty :lol: They smell like puppies or newborn babies- that yummy smell that just makes you wanna squeeze them and neer stop kissing them lol..

I had rabbits as a child, briefly as my dad bred them and sold them on :( and ever since I was an adult I've said I wanted a rabbit but never did anything about it. Then one day last year at a kids farm park I saw Pippa and fell in love with her at first sight. I bought her, brought her home (I had no cage or anything for her :oops: ) then sat reading up on the internet, found RU, read about neutering, spayed her and got MJ.

I had no idea that rabbits had 'personality', they make me smile when I look at them, I love their twitchy noses and the 'dead bunny' flop. Teddy makes me laugh when he throws his ball around until I go over and say hello. I love seeing Pippa and MJ cuddled up together 24/7 and see how devoted they are to each other and know that if I hadn't taken Pippa on chances are she'd have spent her life alone in a hutch and would never have met MJ, that makes me happy :D

I have to say though I don't like cleaning them out on rainy days and I have yet to do a cold winter - last year they were in a shed. But they're worth it :)

Back