• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people hate bunnies?

I will never forget telling someone how much it cost to have 14 weeks old Scouts broken leg repaired and somwone telling me I could buy '25 more rabbits for that' :evil:

I will never forget telling someone how much it cost to have 14 weeks old Scouts broken leg repaired and somwone telling me I could buy '25 more rabbits for that' :evil:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If I hear one more "pot" comment I think I'll scream. My family think it's hilarious but really, it's getting extremely old.

AMETHYST

I am constantly ribbed for having one, i wish i hadn't told anyone, everyone at work is always going on about me spending money to make him better and say why don't i just eat him, it really upsets me :cry:

I think its because many associate them with a childs pet which just sits in its hutch all day! At least it means these pratts are less likely to go out and buy one!:rolleyes:

Thankfully my friends don't tease me, they know better!:shock: The only thing they do tease me is that I always call them the bunny bunsters!:lol: :lol:

Meh, attending to an agriculture school many of my classmates love rabbits too, some even have one or two themselves.
The agriculture class used to come with a few pot-comments before though, but I tended to ignore them or laugh and say dwarf rabbits can hardly even count as a snack. (Back when I only had Zakura) I even had a discussion with one boy who said he wanted to eat my rabbit, about how much meat you could actually get from a 2-kilo's heavy rabbit (poor Zak, if she only knew what we were talking about she'd bite my arm of:roll: )
Smack me if you want to but I don't mind people eating rabbits, it's not more cruel than to eat a pig or a chicken, but I won't eat my own pet bunnies of course.
I haven't heard any comments on this in a long time now, guess it's not much fun to tease someone who agrees with you:lol:

Only comment I've gotten from my teacher is that I talk too much about them:lol: She's getting tired of the bunny-talk I think...:roll:

And to anyone who thinks rabbits are boring:
Rabbits that do nothing but sit in their cages and stare at you all day aren't boring, they're bored.

Last edited:
Smack me if you want to but I don't mind people eating rabbits, it's not more cruel than to eat a pig or a chicken.

Personally I believe if you eat one animal, you'd might as well eat them all, however, thats not the issue here. The issue is that kids are encouraged to house and breed a large number of animals and to then sell them on as prizes etc....that is highly irresponsible!:cry: Not to mention, some of the cage set ups I have seen have resembled battery chicken cages rather than a 'reputable' breeder set-up! The rabbits have no toys, no hay and no room to move, and they all pee and poo on the ones below!:evil:

yeah I get the 'rabbit stew' thing all the time too. But they would hate it of I said to them 'mmm border collies taste lovely as a burger' :evil: :lol:

also I think the offensive thing about someone saying something about rabbit stew is that they are talking about MY pet. Not an unknown rabbit - they are saying it directly about my particular rabbits. And i think that's highly insensitive - as I posted above they'd hate it if I said it about their particular dog/cat/parrot/duck/goose etc. I personally haven't got a problem with people eating rabbits either, just not MY rabbits!

i get that song run rabbit sang at me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and one of the blokes asks how my hamsters are.... THEY ARE CHIPMUNKS GRRRRR

all in good humour tho..... i guess im not as easily offended like others which is a good thing working in an all bloke environment

In relation to stew jokes, I find the best response is 'Haven't heard that one before:rolleyes: ' in a really sarcastic voice, blokes are raging when you ignore something they hoped would get you raging!:lol:

My mum says she wants to turn Milly into a scarf because her fur is so soft and nice, but I know she's only joking.

Well she could always do what I do to the chinchilllas at school:lol:
MilkyandI.jpg

The bad part is that you can't wear them outside and they will jump of if you don't be careful:roll:

Personally I believe if you eat one animal, you'd might as well eat them all, however, thats not the issue here. The issue is that kids are encouraged to house and breed a large number of animals and to then sell them on as prizes etc....that is highly irresponsible! Not to mention, some of the cage set ups I have seen have resembled battery chicken cages rather than a 'reputable' breeder set-up! The rabbits have no toys, no hay and no room to move, and they all pee and poo on the ones below!
What issue?
I thought this topic was about people hating rabbits? Not why they shouldn't be kept only as meat-animals.

To be fair I can understand why most people find rabbits boring (in Xfactor style a big BOOOOO).
Basically not many people who own rabbits or who are close to someone who owns a rabbit are very educated about rabbits.

We all look after our buns very well, hence caring enough to visit this forum. Unfortunately for most rabbits they are: Boring, smelly, not very friendly, pets. This is not the rabbits fault but the owners.

Think of all the poor bunnies that are stuck in a tiny hutch in the back garden, open to all the weathers elements with no toys, no mate and very limited human contact, especially in the winter. If you were this rabbit you wouldn't feel very sociable either and to be honest it's brian isn't exactly being stimulated enough to make it very intelligent unlike my two who follow basic commands like "bedtime" and "ok kira come in now" (from the garden)!

The rabbits smell because they are mostly bought for kids who lose interest and the parents resent having to clean them out so leave them as long as possible.

I still get alot of comments and yes I have to agree, mainly from dog owners, the main one being dont rabbits live outside because they s**t all over the house!

Now everyone who has met my buns are in love with them, they can never believe that rabbits can be litter trained and are suprised when I mention how old they can live too.

By the way the worst comment EVER was when I took Arnie to the vets and he was weighed. He was 2.23k and the vet said if he got to 3k he would be good in a pie! :evil: I think he was joking (or at least I hope so) but still get angry as he should know better.

Sorry for the waffle lol!

Everyone I work with says my Flopsy is my second child.:D

In a way he is - I was 30 when I had my son, then after struggling with hubby being contractor , leaving work to look after my son and going back to college to retrain as a TA (loads of holidays) I was way toooo old to have another child so he is my second baby.:love:

Went to my hairdressers other day and Flopsy got mentioned and they laughed and didn't believe that he had a carpeted hutch and was litter trained. I didn't get mad as they are merely uneducated about bunnies. :shock:

They did ask me to take in some piccies to prove his hutch had carpet and he was litter trained.

People just assume that if you want a pet you get a dog or cat. They think rabbits are just to stop outside with no use whatsoever.:censored:

i do think that as house rabbits get more popular and if the rescues were advertised more people would stop being so stupid.....its all a matter of time..... one day bunnies will rule the world having created every one of us into human slaves :D :D

I've just realised what I posted made no sense as I got it confused with the 4H thread, so please just ignore me!:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back