• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do pets @ home gets thier rabbits from?

There's a commercial breeder fairly near me in Pinxton, Derbyshire who sells all kinds of rodents, rabbits and reptiles to pet shops (although I don't think Pets at Home are one). He supplies live animals to be sold as pets, and also dead animals for snake food. All animals go to the pet shop on a 'sale or return' basis, and those which are returned get frozen alive and re-sold as snake food :cry:

The RSPCA has investigated him before but have never managed to find anything prosecutable on their visits. Fortunately this appears to have had the effect of stopping his breeding operation for the moment (or so I've heard).

Frozen alive OMG thats terrible:shock:

There's a commercial breeder fairly near me in Pinxton, Derbyshire who sells all kinds of rodents, rabbits and reptiles to pet shops (although I don't think Pets at Home are one). He supplies live animals to be sold as pets, and also dead animals for snake food. All animals go to the pet shop on a 'sale or return' basis, and those which are returned get frozen alive and re-sold as snake food :cry:

The RSPCA has investigated him before but have never managed to find anything prosecutable on their visits. Fortunately this appears to have had the effect of stopping his breeding operation for the moment (or so I've heard).

That is just too dreadful :cry:

pets at home animals tend to all come from breeder down in Devon i know his name and his companys they arrive in a white van in big plastic crates, the ones chickens are put in for most markets (these do have straw in the bottom) they are then taken out and put into tote boxs until they are sexed and put into the nero cages usualy 6 to a cage (these are usualy cleaned everyday or every 2) now when i was talking to this man that brings them all his said pets at home pay £6 a rabbit :roll: and he has to go round the livestock markets buying any cheap rabbits sometimes he can get them for
20p a piece :cry:

this is terriable but if everyone stopped buying the rabbits there the guy who breeds them could sell them to other pet shops that are not as clean and tidy as pets @ home or even worse for snake food so its a root of 2 evils really if the money is there people will exploit it

teresa

pets at home animals tend to all come from breeder down in Devon i know his name and his companys they arrive in a white van in big plastic crates, the ones chickens are put in for most markets (these do have straw in the bottom) they are then taken out and put into tote boxs until they are sexed and put into the nero cages usualy 6 to a cage (these are usualy cleaned everyday or every 2) now when i was talking to this man that brings them all his said pets at home pay £6 a rabbit :roll: and he has to go round the livestock markets buying any cheap rabbits sometimes he can get them for
20p a piece :cry:

:( Where abouts in Devon... I know of a dodgey place but shall mention no names on this forum.

this is terriable but if everyone stopped buying the rabbits there the guy who breeds them could sell them to other pet shops that are not as clean and tidy as pets @ home or even worse for snake food so its a root of 2 evils really if the money is there people will exploit it

teresa

I know this is idealistic, but wouldn't it be better if people stopped buying rabbits altogether? Without the demand then suppliers wouldn't think they could make money from farming and sourcing rabbits as cheaply as possible.

Our breeder delivers all the small animals to us except chinchillas and Degu's. The rabbits are in large plastic transport boxes with a bottle, straw, hay and some veg/picked grass. He always carrys spare bottles and hay. The guineas always have hay and some veg, last week they had carrot tops and the hamsters and rats always have some food scattered on there bedding. I've seen show horses transported in worse conditions. When the animals arrive there are sometimes one or 2 who are quite stressed, but the majority of the time they are all relaxed and happy to be handled and health checked.

I know this is idealistic, but wouldn't it be better if people stopped buying rabbits altogether? Without the demand then suppliers wouldn't think they could make money from farming and sourcing rabbits as cheaply as possible.

If pet shops stopped selling pets and people got neutered ones from rescues we would have no pets to love. I think better education and banning of small hutches is the answer!

maybe im a bit thick but where do rescue rabbits come from then? werent they initially mostly pet shop bunnies that have been given up by people for whatever reason?

If pet shops stopped selling pets and people got neutered ones from rescues we would have no pets to love. I think better education and banning of small hutches is the answer!

Sorry that's not what I was suggesting – abolishing rabbits:shock: I oppose people producing them on the mass scale needed to supply large pet chains because welfare is always the first casualty.

so producing them on mass scale is ok just so we can have rabbits to love?

Jazzy B Bunny - I feel like you deliberately say these things, which is against the ethos of the forum just to get a reaction.

I think some of you are missing the point when saying..don't rescue bunnies originate from pet shops.and seeing that as a problem if pet shops stopped supplying.
Rescues, like most charitable organisations..are the few businesses that would love to go out of business due to lack of demand.

No unwanted rabbits...great..even if fewer people were able to have them as pets

Back