• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I get a Harlequin Mini Lop

Thank you all for the advice and information offered, greatly appreciated x

There's certain alot to think about and I'm really having second thoughts on the showing now, as I want all my bunnies to be happy and live together with as little upset as possible.

I may also consider to take on a rescue or 2 on top of the breeders one if I go to a breeder.

What are the stages of adoption and min requirements the want before they allow you to take a bunny or two home?

All advice/hints/info is most welcomed :)
(i think you have converted me to the good side ;) lol )

This depends on the rescue itself, and they vary wildly, but the Rabbit Welfare Assocation says a pair of small to medium bunny needs a 6ft by 2ft hutch with a 4ft by 8 ft run permanently accessible, as a minimum. some rescues ask for that (or around that size), some ask for the previous size accommodation (6ft by 2ft hutch with a 6ft by 4ft run permanently accessible).

When we have completed the build of the new rabbit shed it should be 6ft x3ft which will be on 3 levels of that size giving them about 54 square ft of shed. Than there will be 24 square ft attached run with digging pit tubes etc. There will then be a temp run of 6ft x 4ft (24 sq ft) that will be on the grass for the better weather and change of scenery. How many mini lops do you think would comfortably live in there.

When we have completed the build of the new rabbit shed it should be 6ft x3ft which will be on 3 levels of that size giving them about 54 square ft of shed. Than there will be 24 square ft attached run with digging pit tubes etc. There will then be a temp run of 6ft x 4ft (24 sq ft) that will be on the grass for the better weather and change of scenery. How many mini lops do you think would comfortably live in there.

That sounded like some sort of GCSE grade maths problem :lol:

Maybe a quad? But bear in mind that not all bunnies will bond because you want them to- some are fussy and prefer to choose their own friend, and it will also depend on the bond dynamics.

I could go upto 7ft x 3ft giving us 63 square foot of indoor space and look at putting a outdoor run on both sides giving about 48 sq ft of outdoor space (equivalent to 6 x 8 ft run) would that be more suitable for 4-5 rabbits?

I could go upto 7ft x 3ft giving us 63 square foot of indoor space and look at putting a outdoor run on both sides giving about 48 sq ft of outdoor space (equivalent to 6 x 8 ft run) would that be more suitable for 4-5 rabbits?

That's all well and good if you can bond a group that big. I've never bonded (too much of a wuss) but from what I've seen on here it can be difficult with a larger group....what would you do if they split up? would you be able to house them seperatly?

I was going to make it so each level could be closed off from the other, so that if I ever had a poorly bunny or they didn't get on, then I could close off a section or all if needed. I was going to make access to the outdoor run from all levels (or at least the lower 2) that could also be closed off for any eventuality that may arise. Poss due to this it maybe better having a separate run on either side so that I could accommodate 2 groups/pairs if needed.

As you can see I have put alot of thought into this for the past 3-4 months and researched others setups to get (pinch ;)) ideas etc :thumb:

I'm still not sure if that would be big enough, I have a 10ft x 6ft shed and 5 rabbits in it. I don't feel mine is big enough for my 5 personally. 7ft x 3ft is the size of my runs and I don't think three are happy in there. Not trying to offend at all, just my thoughts on it.

Stress and Worry!!

I was going to make it so each level could be closed off from the other, so that if I ever had a poorly bunny or they didn't get on, then I could close off a section or all if needed. I was going to make access to the outdoor run from all levels (or at least the lower 2) that could also be closed off for any eventuality that may arise. Poss due to this it maybe better having a separate run on either side so that I could accommodate 2 groups/pairs if needed.

As you can see I have put alot of thought into this for the past 3-4 months and researched others setups to get (pinch ;)) ideas etc :thumb:

Personally, I think you're 'going in wrong direction' by having the mind to trying to bond so many. It's hard and time consuming enough for those with experience and who know what they're doing, but getting back to your original question about breeding: I can understand where you're coming from and your intentions of providing bunnies for your relatives etc, but think of all the stress and worry you would have. People change their minds etc and there's always the possibility that you would have to look 'outside' the family circle for homes and you can ask prospective owners all the question you like, but some people will tell you what they think you want to hear to achieve their objective. Animals depend on us for everything - even their very lives and we all have a duty of care to them. It's not always easy to put baby bunnies into good homes.

I would have a word with some local rescues. Ask them their requirements and see if they have any trios or quads in. Sometimes a female comes in pregnant and has a litter which can then lead to large groups with a stronger chance of a bond. They will also be able to tell you what size accommodation they would require.

I'm still not sure if that would be big enough, I have a 10ft x 6ft shed and 5 rabbits in it. I don't feel mine is big enough for my 5 personally. 7ft x 3ft is the size of my runs and I don't think three are happy in there. Not trying to offend at all, just my thoughts on it.

I looked at a few different sized sheds and compared to what I was looking at for the 6/7ft x 3ft I would have to purchase a 10x6ft shed to get the same square ft area which would drastically reduce the outdoor area I could provide. Each of the levels would be the full 7x3ft (minus the hole for getting to each level). Maybe back to the drawing board to look at another way to add square feet to the plan.... :?

Any ideas? lol

You have certainly given a lot of thought to your accommodation - that's brilliant.

I was no where near as clued up as this when we obtained our first pair, even though we had 'thought' we had done our research.

Our first pair of bunnies came from a breeder as babies. Barny turned out to be selectively aggressive, and Herbie developed syphilis and has needed his molars burring several times. This is how I came across RU, looking for advice. Since then I have seen the light and adopted six rescue rabbits (from four different rescues) who live in converted sheds/wendy houses.

As much as I coo over pictures of baby bunnies, having seen the non-stop stream of unwanted rabbits entering rescues, I do wonder about the need to bring more into the world.

Your set up sounds amazing, any bunnies living with you would be very lucky. For me, the best feeling in the world is seeing my rescue bunnies binkying, knowing they are happy and have been given a second chance. None more so than watching Gabriel, who despite being a boxing bun with attitude who has little time for me (unless I have a treat), loving life after being rescued from a meat market.

Last edited:
Not wanting to get involved in the breeder debate, just wanted to point out that rabbits can be show rabbits / bred from and still have company / good life, the two are not mutually exclusive. Colonies are relatively easy to maintina if you provide the space and you have the time to watch them. If you want to know more of whats involved in showing (the good and the bad) and maintaining show rabbits in a colony setting, feel free to message me.
x becky

7'x3' is a very nice size 'hutch', you could keep a pair in each level happily so that could add to 4-6 bunnies. The run space (6x8) is about what you'd give a pair though so might not suit the higher multiples as well. Any way the temporary run could become permanent? You could mesh under the grass to keep it secure.

Have you had the opportunity to see a group in person? That might help you visualise how they use the space/how much they take up. Bunnies can work up quite a speed when exercising so although you have good square footage as it's split over levels you really need the run space on the one to give them room for that. The other thing you could do it make it so the bottom level is part of the run (open on the side that the run attached on) then you could count the bottom 7'x3' as run space and that would give them a bigger area on one level.

7'x3' is a very nice size 'hutch', you could keep a pair in each level happily so that could add to 4-6 bunnies. The run space (6x8) is about what you'd give a pair though so might not suit the higher multiples as well. Any way the temporary run could become permanent? You could mesh under the grass to keep it secure.

Have you had the opportunity to see a group in person? That might help you visualise how they use the space/how much they take up. Bunnies can work up quite a speed when exercising so although you have good square footage as it's split over levels you really need the run space on the one to give them room for that. The other thing you could do it make it so the bottom level is part of the run (open on the side that the run attached on) then you could count the bottom 7'x3' as run space and that would give them a bigger area on one level.

Thank you so much for these great ideas, definitely something I could possibly work with :)

Not wanting to get involved in the breeder debate, just wanted to point out that rabbits can be show rabbits / bred from and still have company / good life, the two are not mutually exclusive. Colonies are relatively easy to maintina if you provide the space and you have the time to watch them. If you want to know more of whats involved in showing (the good and the bad) and maintaining show rabbits in a colony setting, feel free to message me.
x becky

Thank you Becki
I will keep you in mind when I need to ask for help/opinion. :)

Just wanted to say its lovely to see a thread like this not getting nasty and offering advice to the poster. Well done RU members :thumb: and may be even changing her mind :). I bought from a breeder as i did not know any better but after finding RU i will always adopt from a rescue in the future, and advice friends too.

I think Im reading this right in that you would essentially have a 3 storey 7x3 "hutch" style bit from the shed, then two 6x4 runs attached each side, plus a grazing run for extras? If thats the case I would have thought a quad would be happy in there. You could house a pair half that (7x3, 3 levels, 63sqft, plus two 6x4 twice, 48 sqft, total area 111sqft, giving 55sqft per pair (assuming you were just working out how many bunnies could be housed in there)). As far as Im aware most rescues are happy with 50sqft per pair, as long as within that the bunnies can periscope etc.

x becky
Just wanted to say, wow your bunny is stunning

Thank you :) her name is Minerva (she was bred by myself) has been a very successful show rabbit with many big wins, has produced one litter and lives in a large colony setup with 3 other does :)

To the origional poster... i've just realised that i've replied to you on another forum with some suggestions you may want to try if you're still looking for a show rabbit.

Back