• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I buy Timothy hay?

Rex Rabbity said:
We are looking at possibly getting some willow hay racks so that they are not eating soiled hay and we can see exactly how much they are eating daily. Hopefully this will mean that if we do go for better hay, then we won't need as much.

My buns have 2 hay racks, one upstairs and one downstairs. One of their favourite pass-times is to yank all the hay out and trample on it. :roll: :lol:

Thanks for putting this post up btw - I had looked at the P@H expensive stuff and it didn't look as good as the meadow hay I got for free. :roll: So this has been really useful for me too. :thumb:

As well as ordering a small bag of Oxbow Western Timothy, I have ordered a sample of Western Timothy from the Hay Experts to see how it compares. Has anyone purchased any hay from these people? If so, what do you think? Is it really re-bagged Oxbow? It does work out quite a bit cheaper than Oxbow and I really need to cut the costs down.

They used to sell it on E-bay, there they stated it was rebagged Oxbow. As was said above just think how much trouble they will be in when Oxbow find out. Its just like me buying a ford car and sticking a Bunnybasics Badge on it and reselling it.
If you really want to save money on Oxbow your best bet would be to buy it in the 22Kg boxes. That way it would cost you 2.27 per KG. Thats what they prolly do.

I've just looked at they Hay Experts website, and it doesn't look cheaper to me. :? They don't seem to sell in the quantities that Bunny Bazaar do.

SarahP, I did not know that the Bunny Bazaar Timothy was Oxbow. I can see now looking at the pics! Yes it does work out cheaper in bulk, but the smaller sizes are cheaper at Hay Experts (if it is the same stuff!) It's just a storage issue really for me. I may be able to store a larger quantity in my parents garage though. It's extra hassle, but if I can get the cost down to something sensible, then it would be worth it I suppose.

Just had an idea... We do have a loft with a fair bit of space. Maybe we could buy a large amount of hay (say a 22kg box) in bulk and split it into smaller bags and store it in the loft. Would it have to be vac packed or would it be ok just to put it in seperate sealed bags?

How long is it likely to take 2 rex rabbits to get through 27kg of hay? And will the hay last that long or is it daft to buy this much for just 2 bunnies?

27kg is more than half my bodyweight!!! :lol:

I am thinking of buying a small amount of Timothy hay for them to try and if they like it will do a bulk buy once my meadow hay runs out. :D

Aliandbuns, I see what you mean about the weight :lol: and will it keep that long as you say? I would have to split it up into bags just to get it into the loft if I got a 22kg box. The thing is, buying it in bulk looks like the difference in cost to meadow hay being just twice as much instead of nearly 4 times as much (plus postage) for smaller amounts. We are in the same boat, with the same buns!

oxbox produce here hay ect Western Timothy Hay

the oxbow hay cakes are excellant for rabbits that have problem teeth there not a treat but 100% hay compressed made from Western Timothy Hay.
i have been useing them for 3 months now, we got them from my local vets ( calder vets dewsbury west yorkshire ) only but there not easy to find at all in pet shops.
a company call petlife international imports them.
sammy my rabbit is not struck on hay at all , but he will really give his teeth a work out on these.
so far he's not ( touch wood )not had to go under a GA at all for his teeth at all in the last 3 months.
we visit the vets every 4 weeks so far so good.

http://www.vetbed.co.uk/smallanimals/oxbow.html

I also get timothy hay cakes from Bunny Bazaar. They also do them on the Bunny Basics site.

Just had a look at hayshop - great stuff - but it doesn't look to me as though it is Oxbow hay - no mention any way - so I think I won't go there for hay! Bugs Bunny says he only wants Oxbow hay - unless anyone has any more info please?

LOL Bugs Bunny and friends

The sizes for the 22kg and 11.5kg boxes of Oxbow Western Timothy are below. I'm really surprised, I thought they would be MUCH bigger than that. I won't have too much of a problem storing one of these after all. I just can't imagine a 2ft square box of hay weighing 50lbs! The hay must be really highly compressed.

Length 24.25" (615mm)
Width 18.5" (470mm)
Height for 50lb 24.75" (630mm)
Height for 25lb 11.25" (285mm)

It is really compacted. I ordered two of the 4kg boxes (one timothy hay and one orchard grass), and they're not very big at all. It comes in a bag inside the box, and there is a leaflet inside that says about storage instructions. I think if you're storing it somewhere dry they recommend that you remove the plastic bag and store it in the box.

http://www.vetbed.co.uk & http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/

only petlife and sphsupplies sell the natural hay cakes 100% oxbow hay.

http://www.vetbed.co.uk/smallanimals/haycakes.html
http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/

These are perfect for rabbits, guinea pigs, prairie dogs, chinchillas and other small herbivores; these compressed hay cakes eliminate the mess of loose hay and provide a real workout for the teeth. Made with 2-3 inch long strands of hay for optimal particle size, these nutritious nuggets provide the fibre needed to maintain a healthy digestive system.

other suppliers sell hay cubes

Important Feeding Information: These Hay Cubes contain approximately 10% alfalfa, and therefore should only be fed in restricted supply or as treat to animals particularly susceptable to calcium buildup

I've found that the hay cakes make more mess than normal hay! If I ever give Kahlo one I put it in her cage, but she jumps out with it in her mouth and devours it on the carpet. It takes ages for all the little bits to disappear, and you can't pick it up like stray bits of hay..... She does love them though! :D

The Oxbow came today from SPH, as did the sample from the Hay Experts. They do appear to be identical in quality. There was however alot more 'brown' bits of hay in the Hay Experts sample. Is this over-dried or dead hay? Can they still eat these bits?

Both rabbits really loved it and kept pinching bits out of each others mouths! I ordered from SPH in the end, as they are the only ones who can supply it in 22kg size which offers such a good saving. It would be way too expensive for me to buy in smaller quantities. SPH seem to have very good customer service. They have answered several questions that I emailed them very quickly. The Hay Experts are also very good. They even sent me a free sample of Orchard grass!

Yeah the brown bits are fine - the amount of brown in it depends on the cut, which depends on the weather, etc etc. Apparently last season was a bad one for Timothy hay so the quality this year isn't as great as it has been previously. I also agree that SPH are great, they have always answered my queries promptly and deliveries turn up quickly :D I'm looking forward to seeing BunnyBasics new US Timothy hay range though, anyone know when it's going to be available?

Glad SPH were great, I found that they were very helpful too and quick to respond. Glad the Oxbow is good too, I think you can tell immediately that it is good stuff, I've just had to refill Jacobs litter tray with hay as he eats so much on the loo.

SBH are definately one of my best friends now, fast delivery too and good value considering the weight.

The Hay Experts site is fantastic, I love the tubes and tent, saving up now! I asked a question regarding the willow and got a swift and polite reply, which was then followed by a very detailed follow up. They seem a super place too in terms of customer service which to me is vital, I can't cope with poor customer service, no need with all the great sites. the chinchilla site lady is great too and they have fab toys and foods. All this money we spend, but happy buns are one of the nicest things in the world!

The Oxbow is generally quite hard when it arrives as it is so compact, but if you leave it to 'air' a bit and fluff it up, it does soften a little. I think it is hard anyway at the moment just because it's the second cut.

Back