• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I buy an affordable run?

chareg96

Young Bun
Hi :) I am wanting to buy a run for Phoebe and would preferably like it to be 8ft x 4ft however I'm on an extremely tight budget :( I have about £60 spare to afford one, does anyone know anywhere that would be suitable? Thank you :)

If you're open to options other than a run you can buy large 'X Pens' normally used for dogs and in your budget since your size requirement is quite large for the budget.

I'm also pretty sure making your own would be cost efficient and maybe in your budget. :)

I'm also pretty sure making your own would be cost efficient and maybe in your budget. :)
If you (or a friend [emoji6] ) are okay at very basic DIY you could make one within your budget. Wood from a DIY store (or a builders/timber merchant) and mesh from eBay

Is it for inside or out? An xpen / play pen can work well indoors where you don't need to worry about a lid.

DIYing it would be a good cost saving option and then are relatively simple to put together.

If you go down the most simple route for a run you just need a load of mesh, staple gun/nails, and a bunch of stakes to dig into the ground and secure the mesh fencing. Security wise you could make a simple lid with mesh and wood framing or if you can go to a local pub resturant that uses corex for the signage they use when deals come in. i get them because they just end up out the back gathering dust for waste when cannot be reused, such as dates on for mothers day etc. It is very very easy to cut into shape, its strong, stable, weather resistant and creates good shadey cover for a run. you can pierce holes and tie it to the mesh or weigh it down on top incase of wind.

That is about as basic and cheap as i can think of..

Another option ive found is getting those old firegaurds, the big mesh ones, second hand andusing those panels like cage panels.

We made our own run relatively cheaply, we used weldmesh bought from Amazon, use 16 or 19 guage mesh with small holes, don't buy one of those all metal barred runs as they are cheap but unsafe, rabbits have been known to get their head stuck between the bars. There's a warning thread on the housing sticky about them.

We made our own run relatively cheaply, we used weldmesh bought from Amazon, use 16 or 19 guage mesh with small holes, don't buy one of those all metal barred runs as they are cheap but unsafe, rabbits have been known to get their head stuck between the bars. There's a warning thread on the housing sticky about them.

Do you mind if I ask what size and how much the run cost you.....and also what wood you used. I'm about to build my own

Do you mind if I ask what size and how much the run cost you.....and also what wood you used. I'm about to build my own

It was 10ft X 17ft, we had originally used round fence posts with decking boards at the bottom to form a raised bed, and was originally a vegetable patch! Then when I had my quad of rabbits we used weldmesh from Amazon/eBay (easipet) on the inside of the posts to form the run. It was something that evolved over time so I don't know the cost sorry. As it was large and too costly to slab we used mesh to make the floor digproof and then used playbark for the surface.

B&Q do packs of 12 timber batten for £12, which is what I use to build runs. If you shop around you can get 25m of galvanised mesh for under £30. It's very straightforward, you just need a staple gun, driver and screws. You could build something huge and long-lasting within your budget.

HTH x

Back