• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to put their cages next to each other? And help on the 'neutral' area

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

I brought Belle home for the first last night (9 month old French Lop doe). I bought her to be a friend for my French Lop Buck Bailey (he was neutered 5 months ago) - he is a house bun.

She is booked in to be spayed on Monday (three days time). For now, I have put her cage in the downstairs bathroom and am keeping Bailey away. She is a very nervous bun (I don't think she has had much interaction with humans whatsoever - she grunted at me this morning :() and I am going to spend as much time with her as possible over the weekend. Bailey is an amazing bun - loves being fussed, comes when called, toilet trained etc.

I have a few queries I would really like some advice on :)

1. I won't start the bonding process until several weeks after her spay, however should I keep her totally away from Bailey until then, or would they be okay to be around each other but in their seperate cages so they can see each other? But not have 'outside' time together? This may be hard for Bailey as he isn't used to being locked in his cage, he just sleeps in it.

2. If they can be near each other in their cages before they actually can 'touch' each other - can I move her cage into the conservatory (where it will eventually be) where Bailey's is? I don't have a 'neutral' area you see? Bailey is literally allowed to be everywhere in the house? He just sleeps in the conservatory?

3. If her cage is okay to be in the conservatory for a few week's before the bonding process - could this essentially be a neutral area as both buns have been housed in it? I don't have any other place in the house that would fit both of their cages in (and obviously where Bailey hasn't been either)

Really hope someone can help!

xxx

If there isn't a room where Bailey hasn't been, you will have to neutralize a room by spraying everything within bunny reach with a vinegar/water solution, so neither bunny can smell any trace of Bailey being there before. Then you can bond them in that room :wave:

Back