• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's your 'clean up' routine?

Hi Bitzy! Sounds like youve been dong fine! :D

Its a great thread for all to see how its works for different people....:D

Whatever you place as an absorbent in the litter trays - you should only have to sccop out the wet/pooped bits - this will make the megazorb/carefresh/aubiouse etc last longer.....

Most folks here tend to put newpspaer then the litter tray stuff then the hay....
Mine like to eat things - so i ended up hiding the carefresh first - then laying the newspaper & the hay on top of that - I find this works quite well as the hay otherwise sticks to the litter stuff & its hard to seperate & end up throwing it all away....too costly. Now I just have to roll the newspaper up with soiled hay & chuck away - then scoop out only the soiled bits of litter stuff (whatever you use) and then relay paper....& hay.

I do rinse my litter trays out each day as it gets too dirty otherwise....

I disinfect cage & bits once a week - usually sundays!;)

Mine are going outside soon - so my methods may change ...we will see! :p

Ok, here is mine.

Sunday - Full hutch clean. Disifected. and dried out. Litter trays have newspaper,shaveings and hay in them. (they have 3 litter trays, one downstairs, two upstairs) They have a hay box, with a hay rack over it. The bottom floor of the hutch is lino'd and the top i cover with news paper. :)

Hi!:wave: Just curious!
What is a hay box?...is this enclosed for foraging?:oops:
Do you have litter trays in their sleep areas?
If not - what do you do for those areas?

Thinking of dong a litter tray concept - as if I place just hay there - they may poop & wee....
Perhaps just aubiouse or something along those lines?

Cheers!:p
Yeah- you do have alot of cleaning out to do! Must be fun to see all the little happy faces when you are done!:D

What disinfectant do you all use?

I use Pets at home - just cause thats where i adoptedmy uns from - :oops: - they were unwanted baby buns....

Its a Johnsons brand I think.

Often though a wash with water - then disinfect & thenn wipe with vinigar if wee has splashed somewhere its not supposed too.....
Rather use natural stuff though - much better for buns i think.....;)

i thoroughly clean out all litter trys, water bowls and food bowls daily, then every 2 / 3 days i do a thorough cage clean.:wave:

A full clean out every other day...this includes 3 bunny houses, a ferret court with 2x2 storey houses with run...and parrot cage.
Takes an hour tops.:wave:

excellent, thanks, this is all really helpful .... and eye opening as to how wrong I've been getting it! :?

Aw, you're not doing anything wrong, you just haven't found the best way that works for you! Only a few people have replied to this thread (compared to how many people are on the forum!) and so far we all do it differently! There isn't a wrong/right way to do it.

I used to have to completely empty the bunnies litter tray completely everyday back when I used to use P@H wooden pellets, they were pretty rubbish compared to the megazorb I use now! Finding the right/best substrate that suits you and your buns goes a long way in helping you figure out what to do and when.

xxx

Interesting thread, I'm too thinking of replacing the shavings with something as in a kennel it's everywhere (they have 2 levels) it blows out then falls onto lower level etc....so those with bigger enclosures kennels/avairies what do you use?
I have 1 litter trya ground level (wood pellets and hay)
and 2 on 1st level same stuff in
and 2nd level just sawdust, they use this level for lounging and sleeping so I don't put anything here trays or hay.
They have a large oval hanging basket in the run area full of hay...other little hangers hung up in run , toilet roll holders etc and willow planter with hay in which ends up sideways on the floor :roll:

Sweep for England and go through lots of hay wastage even though they eat a lot :roll:

D'oh! I've never thought about only throwing away clumpy bits of megazorb - I usually throw it all away!! :roll::lol:

I clean on a Friday/Sat/Sun (depending on what i'm doing that weekend, usually a sat tho) then midweek too.

Litter trays are megazorb and straw and I top up straw as needed.

Sweep up poos inbetween cleans as needed, as all buns wee in the right place but poos are a different story!
Buns are in shed btw
:D

Thanks everyone ....... thought the bunnies had got the weeing sussed .... but it appears not!

Dizzi seems to wee whenever she sits on hay! So even if there's a stray bit knocking about - there's usually a Dizzi wee there too! lol

Back