• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do about vet refusing appointment for poorly bunny

Last time a bunny died, I couldn't take her to the crem. I knew about, as they didn't open at the weekend and I worked Mon-Fri. I've just come across this one on the Internet:http://www.allpetsatpeace.co.uk/index.html I phoned, not expecting an answer this time of night, but a really nice man spoke to me and said I can go tomorrow and wait and if I get lost, to phone them and they will come and find me. £80 for an individual cremation is good. I am determined it will be individual- I couldn't bear the thought of her being cremated with dogs and cats or even snakes, it just wouldn't be appropriate for a prey animal. If only the vets were as lovely as this man was. I need to go and find my sat nav now.

I hope you find it OK, he sounds like he respects and undertands what you are going through. Hope you will be OK x

They were wonderful at the crem. They could not have been better. It was very dignified- they met me and stayed with me. They only opened in July. I chose a little urn for her ashes and wrote a message in their book (mine was only the fourth message). I had no idea what to expect, as I have never been to a pet or human crem/ funeral or anything before. As it was so nice, I asked if I could have a memorial for my previous three bunnies who ended up in wooden boxes after being taken to be collected from the vet because I couldn't find a crem. who I could take them to outside of work hours. This was so more dignified and I had no doubts it was an individual cremation. They suggested they would engrave one of the bricks on the path. They said they would do anything I want as long as it doesn't contravene planning regulations. These people could really teach some vets a thing or two about how much pets mean to their owners. I have to decide what I want to have written on the brick and e-mail them.
RWA have suggested a vet in Cleethorpes, so I will check them out and hopefully register there.
They said I could add a plant in her memory- anything I want to really.

I'm very sorry for everything that has happened. Binky free little one.

I wondered if you have thought of using the combi-vaccine for your remaining rabbit?
I was also wondering if the initial vet checked teeth? It is possible it she wasn't eating properly for 3 weeks or a bit more the sharp tooth was a symptom of that, rather than being the cause of the illness. My rabbit whom I lost last week needed a dental shortly before I lost him but his teeth had grown long because he wasn't eating and it was most likely kidney damage from EC that was his COD.

Glad you had such a nice experience at the crem after all the unpleasantness you've been through. There are some good people out there.

They were wonderful at the crem. They could not have been better. It was very dignified- they met me and stayed with me. They only opened in July. I chose a little urn for her ashes and wrote a message in their book (mine was only the fourth message). I had no idea what to expect, as I have never been to a pet or human crem/ funeral or anything before. As it was so nice, I asked if I could have a memorial for my previous three bunnies who ended up in wooden boxes after being taken to be collected from the vet because I couldn't find a crem. who I could take them to outside of work hours. This was so more dignified and I had no doubts it was an individual cremation. They suggested they would engrave one of the bricks on the path. They said they would do anything I want as long as it doesn't contravene planning regulations. These people could really teach some vets a thing or two about how much pets mean to their owners. I have to decide what I want to have written on the brick and e-mail them.
RWA have suggested a vet in Cleethorpes, so I will check them out and hopefully register there.
They said I could add a plant in her memory- anything I want to really.

This brought tears to my eyes after all you have been through. It is nice to know that there are considerate people about.
When I lost my bunny erlier this year, we bought one of those half whiskey barrels and have filled it full of herbs in his memory. That way the 2 girls can have a nibble of them and it is a lasting memory.

That is a lovely idea.
Summer Breeze- her sister, seems to be looking for Cloud :-( Sometimes life can be so sad.

Teeth weren't checked by initial vet. I would prefer to use the new vaccine for my bun as it will mean fewer trips to the vet. Vaccs aren't due for a while anyway.

Last edited:
That is a lovely idea.
Summer Breeze- her sister, seems to be looking for Cloud :-( Sometimes life can be so sad.

Teeth weren't checked by initial vet. I would prefer to use the new vaccine for my bun as it will mean fewer trips to the vet. Vaccs aren't due for a while anyway.

:cry: It is so sad. You just need to be there for each other at the moment and comfort yourselves as best you can xx

I love their names.

Some people put in a cuddly toy for company, you could try that (make sure any things she could bite off are removed to make it safe)

They had a Miffy the Rabbit once. I don't think they approved of her- first her clothes were chewed off and then her insides were pulled out. I could get her another- it will keep her busy at least.

They had a Miffy the Rabbit once. I don't think they approved of her- first her clothes were chewed off and then her insides were pulled out. I could get her another- it will keep her busy at least.

Aw, that is a lovely memory of them both even though they were being naughty ;):love:

They told me they are below the age of criminal responsibility and can therefore do what they want;)
I have to keep care bear out of their reach- he is, understandably, frightened of rabbits.

How lovely is this?

Dear Sue,

I will get the plaque done for the three bunnies tomorrow but we do feel that Cloud should have a space in the garden so we will do a separate plaque free of charge for Cloud and when the time comes we will add her sister.

There are not many plants that rabbits do not like to eat but thought these may be appropriate we do however have lots of wild rabbits around here so all our plants are at risk of being eaten.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...Plants/Viola+Bunny+Ears+Collection_223811.htm

There are 3 plants in the pack and the total including postage would be £17.94

If this is too much or not what you were thinking of then please say and we will carry on looking, the above just seemed ideal to us.

Love the pictures, thank you!

Thank you also for the wonderful testimonial we really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Brian & Kathryn

Back