• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I use? Urgent help required!

What are you saying, I shouldn't use sawdust but if I do I am harming Bella?!

Hay and newspaper are perfectly adequate to use for rabbits and most small animals.

What I am saying is that there is potential for problems to occur to many small animals if they are bedded down on sawdust. I have had many guinea pigs in who were bedded down on sawdust who had skin problems, after treating them with antifungal lotions and potions and then rehoming them into a no sawdust enviroment they have remained with good skin. I have had a couple of rabbits in whom have been sneezing who lived on shavings, with a no shaving envioroment they have stopped sneezing. Rabbits searching through shavings will breath in the dust, this is not good for them ... this is the same as you living in a dusty envioroment.

I am not saying that you will harm your rabbit, what I am saying is that they may have a healthier life with less problems if you dont use it.

Woodshavings (and sawdust) are also usually made of softwoods which are believed to release phenols which affect the liver and can cause problems - especially in the way the liver deals with anaesthetic, so I think it's important to avoid especially in animals that may need anaesthetics (like rabbits needing dentals, neutering, etc)
Shredded newspaper should be fine but if you want something with a bit more 'thickness' like shavings then I'd recommend something called Ecopetbed - it's corrogated cardboard shredded into small squares.
http://homepages.tesco.net/ecopetbed/BedInfo.htm
There's other brands that are the same stuff too - SafetTBed, Andy B Bedding, BedXcel, etc.
You can either order it online or try to find a petshop/horse supplier that stocks it or can order it in (and save the £15-ish courier charges you get online)

Last edited:
Hay and newspaper are perfectly adequate to use for rabbits and most small animals.

What I am saying is that there is potential for problems to occur to many small animals if they are bedded down on sawdust. I have had many guinea pigs in who were bedded down on sawdust who had skin problems, after treating them with antifungal lotions and potions and then rehoming them into a no sawdust enviroment they have remained with good skin. I have had a couple of rabbits in whom have been sneezing who lived on shavings, with a no shaving envioroment they have stopped sneezing. Rabbits searching through shavings will breath in the dust, this is not good for them ... this is the same as you living in a dusty envioroment.

I am not saying that you will harm your rabbit, what I am saying is that they may have a healthier life with less problems if you dont use it.

Oh right, when I use sawdust, Bella seems to be alright with it as you doesn't sneeze etc. Are you saying I should carry on using it if we have no problems or use shredded paper? Have any of your guinea pigs and/or rabbits in which ou have put on sawdust suffered heavily from it??

Woodshavings (and sawdust) are also usually made of softwoods which are believed to release phenols which affect the liver and can cause problems - especially in the way the liver deals with anaesthetic, so I think it's important to avoid especially in animals that may need anaesthetics (like rabbits needing dentals, neutering, etc)
Shredded newspaper should be fine but if you want something with a bit more 'thickness' like shavings then I'd recommend something called Ecopetbed - it's corrogated cardboard shredded into small squares.
http://homepages.tesco.net/ecopetbed/BedInfo.htm
There's other brands that are the same stuff too - SafetTBed, Andy B Bedding, BedXcel, etc.
You can either order it online or try to find a petshop/horse supplier that stocks it or can order it in (and save the £15-ish courier charges you get online)

Hello and thank you for your post. I can understand what you are saying and will have a look on the website in a few minutes as it says the server is down at the moment. Thanks for the things you have recommended I use instead of sawdust. I'll see what I can do and let you know!

Back