• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do when bunnys lost her partner

Kitty1972

New Kit
Hello, my bunny Poppy who is 7yrs old has just lost her partner inky 5.5 yrs old. How will she cope without him and how do we keep her happy, she looks very lonely, she loved him to bits, she has a bladder stone that plays up now and again, im worried this will make her depressed.
Any ideas please

It is worth looking at a new partner for her, especially if she lives outside. Most rabbits do much better with a partner.

See if there is a rescue near you that has a single neutered boy. Sometimes older singles can be difficult to find homes for, or maybe you could look at a long term foster for one with additional issues - you care for bunny, Poppy gets a companion, rescue keeps up with medical costs.

There may also be other places to try - sometimes you can find genuine cases for rehoming on the online pet sites. A caring owner will have vaccinated and neutered their rabbit, but you need to be a bit more careful in assessing what you are being told. There is no back-up if things don't work out, though. So a rescue is worth looking at first.

There are sections on here about how to bond rabbits, or some rescues may be able to do it for you.

If you don't feel you can take on another rabbit, look at having her as a house rabbit, so she would get some more attention and interaction.

I feel for you - its heartbreaking watching your rabbit grieve. I agree with Shimmer that a friend would be the best 'solution' if & when you able. In the meantime I do things like spending time in my bunnies space, switching up things in their environment - new toys. Extra healthy treats such as herbs are useful (owing to her bladder stone I'd avoid large amounts of parsley as its v high in calcium). Just like our pain when we lose a bunny friend, there aren't really any instant fixes, just additional support & love . Thinking of you & Poppy

It is worth looking at a new partner for her, especially if she lives outside. Most rabbits do much better with a partner.

See if there is a rescue near you that has a single neutered boy. Sometimes older singles can be difficult to find homes for, or maybe you could look at a long term foster for one with additional issues - you care for bunny, Poppy gets a companion, rescue keeps up with medical costs.

There may also be other places to try - sometimes you can find genuine cases for rehoming on the online pet sites. A caring owner will have vaccinated and neutered their rabbit, but you need to be a bit more careful in assessing what you are being told. There is no back-up if things don't work out, though. So a rescue is worth looking at first.

There are sections on here about how to bond rabbits, or some rescues may be able to do it for you.

If you don't feel you can take on another rabbit, look at having her as a house rabbit, so she would get some more attention and interaction.

Hi, Thank you we were thinking of bringing her downstairs in the day so she doesnt get lonely but i dont think she is happy so ive put her back in the bedroom where shes happy, changing routine is it a issue? Thanks

Maybe you could go and just sit with her in her own space. Take some treats and see if she will interact with you.

Some buns don't like being moved around and prefer to stay in their own space. It's best if she isn't stressed by changes she isn't happy about, so you may have to play it by ear.

I am very sorry that you have lost your dear bunny Inky. Many of us on the forum can understand not just how you feel but also the emotions of Poppy, who will feel the loss of Inky as much if not more than you will. Rabbits do display grief and you are very well tuned into Poppy to identify subtle changes in her demeaner. Rabbits, like us, take different lengths of times to cope with loss. What is important now from your persepctive, is to provide Poppy with as much love and support as you can, but also appreciate that this is a difficult time for you as well. Make sure Poppy gets plenty of time with you if she hasn't already. Make more of a fuss of her - make her feel extra special as she will need that emotional suport.
Keeping things familiar for Poppy is important and try not to change any routine. Maybe getting a snuggle toy or something as a temporary companion might help?
Make sure Poppy continues to eat and more importantly poop to ensure there's no drop in her eating and output.
And finally, when you feel ready in your heart, it would be best for Poppy to have a new companion. This would mean re-bonding Poppy with a new partner. This would give Poppy that security once again but also would give a bunny a new life with you, which is the most rewarding thing we as carers can do for our little companions.
Craig x

Back