• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do people think to this hutch?

Looks good :thumb: I guess you'd just need to attach some wood to the bottom so you can attach a run, or they'd escape under he hutch!

It looks quite good my only reservations are the bolts (im only looking at it on my phone though) but they look like the small rubbishy ones to me so may need changing and personally i dont like the solid mesh panel (i prefer doors all across the front but thats me being picky). Other than that it looks good.

Before you order id also check with the seller what wood the back of the hutch, the floor and roof are - as sometimes they'll use really good quality wood for the front and sides as thats what people see but rubbish for the other bits, so its always best to check before you buy.

It looks quite good my only reservations are the bolts (im only looking at it on my phone though) but they look like the small rubbishy ones to me so may need changing and personally i dont like the solid mesh panel (i prefer doors all across the front but thats me being picky). Other than that it looks good.

Before you order id also check with the seller what wood the back of the hutch, the floor and roof are - as sometimes they'll use really good quality wood for the front and sides as thats what people see but rubbish for the other bits, so its always best to check before you buy.

I agree with checking the quality of wood on back and floors.

I have reservations about the hutch in the link because it looks very much like this:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/tulip-cottage-hutch-and-run

I have one of the above that I bought for emergency fostering and the back and floors are very thin. The doors are not attached with hinges but with a long screw that goes through the framework - not very robust at all! If it's the same quality as the P@H one I wouldn't buy it.

Edit to add: I've just managed to see the hinges on the Chartwell Lodge/ebay hutch and it does have proper hinges, they are just concealed ones so harder to see than some.

Last edited:
I agree with checking the quality of wood on back and floors.

I have reservations about the hutch in the link because it looks very much like this:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/tulip-cottage-hutch-and-run

I have one of the above that I bought for emergency fostering and the back and floors are very thin. The doors are not attached with hinges but with a long screw that goes through the framework - not very robust at all! If it's the same quality as the P@H one I wouldn't buy it.

Edit to add: I've just managed to see the hinges on the Chartwell Lodge/ebay hutch and it does have proper hinges, they are just concealed ones so harder to see than some.

That's what I was thinking, it does look a lot like the P@H ones, my P@H one that looked similar, which had a run underneath, only lasted a year before the roof started caving in and getting damp

That's what I was thinking, it does look a lot like the P@H ones, my P@H one that looked similar, which had a run underneath, only lasted a year before the roof started caving in and getting damp

I may give it a miss then x

I think they are basically the same as the P@H ones which are so rubbish it's shocking! One of my buns stamped and he broke the floor :shock: Another dug up the floor in one night and caused mayhem as she escaped via the hole and into the big bunny shed. Found her winding up Bramble by scenting all over her run :roll:

I have a welfare rabbits hutch and it is great quality, I have one with an 8ft run attached and my three small bunnies love it, it gives them 60 square feet of space.

In an ideal world I'd have a shed and avairy as it's a pain in the bum taking the top panels of the run off which you need to do to clean the hutch and the run peoperly.

that ebay one looks like it is made of very thin wood. I would be concerned whether wood sufficiently thick to be preditor proof/stand up to uk weather.

Back