• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bottom and back legs

Chloe only just read this. hoping Sam is on the mend..it would be worth treating him for a full course of panacur..as if you put it off and it is Ec the symptoms will be more advanced.
Only problem I see is you should also treat all rabbits that have contact with him and his area...I believe he is now on a bonded 13? :shock:

Here's hoping it's a urine infection and clears up quickly....by the way I think tomato juice reduces the acidity of urine..might help with the scalding...and if I'm wrong perhaps someone reading this will say!

Thanks for all your advice guys - will look into the megasorb at my equine shop, Sam is fine now, no wet bottom for the past four days but I am taking him to the vet tomorrow anyway, as like has been said if it is anything serious it needs to be caught soon - really hope I don't have to treat the whole lot!! Could work out an expensive exercise!!! Back in work Friday so will update then.

Quick update - The vet had a look at Sam and cant find anything physically wrong with him. She hasn't ruled out EC but doesn't think it is as once the symptoms are there generally they stay, don't come and go infrequently. She asked me to seperate him and get a urine sample and monitor his drinking which I did and all came back clear from the urine sample, so no diabetes or UTI, they only thing a bit off was that it wasn't as concentrate as normal so she has suspicions it may be his kidneys I think she said. He has lost a lot of weight again so am feeding him up and taking him in Tuesday for blood tests. He still has a really healthy appetite, I have had to keep an eye on his diet because of his teeth problems, but cos his vet can do them without a GA I am temporarily sacrificing them and trying to get a bit of weight on him by pellets, carrots, apples and the like - He thinks it's Christmas!!

I had 1 of my rabbits with a sore wet bottom last week, wasn't sure what it was so i cleaned her up a few times, kept her in the kitchen in the warm for 4 days, and she was fine. After reading your posts i think i will change from using sawdust i din't realise it upset them.

We went ot the vets today and Sam had his blood taken - posted off to the lab so we shall see what they come back with - am starting to wonder about him tho - have been feeding him up with additions of junior pellets (which he loves) to his SS and in the last week he has gone from 1.42 up to 1.75 !!! No wet bottom, chomping for England and bouncing around like the youngster he is :roll: :roll: Feeling a bit nervous about the results but will just have to deal with whatever comes up - at least I can say with certainty he's not in any pain and has a good digestive system!! :D

:shock: Really impressed with how quickly the blood results came back!! Anyway - Sam is an enigma!! There is nothing wrong with him!! :roll: The vet has told me to monitor him, keep feeding him up til he reaches his ideal weight and then start feeding him as normal and see how he goes - how quickly the weight falls off him, see whether it's a simple case of him refusing to eat hay and as a result losing a weight. There has been no wet bottom since so ........ :?:

chloaster said:
:shock: Really impressed with how quickly the blood results came back!! Anyway - Sam is an enigma!! There is nothing wrong with him!! :roll: The vet has told me to monitor him, keep feeding him up til he reaches his ideal weight and then start feeding him as normal and see how he goes - how quickly the weight falls off him, see whether it's a simple case of him refusing to eat hay and as a result losing a weight. There has been no wet bottom since so ........ :?:

Glad to hear the bloods were OK :)
Is Sam in a group of Buns? If so have you observed his place in the heirarchy/interaction with the others? Is he being bullied OR bullying?
Maybe his weightloss is psychological in origin :?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Glad to hear the bloods were OK :)
Is Sam in a group of Buns? If so have you observed his place in the heirarchy/interaction with the others? Is he being bullied OR bullying?
Maybe his weightloss is psychological in origin :?

Janex

Yes Sam is part of my group of 13. He is probably one of the easiest going of the bunch. He's not one of the 2top dogs but they are all on a fairly even keel. I feed them from several bowls and he gets his head in with the rest; I don't believe he is being bullied - he definately isn't one himself.

Back