• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welded Mesh-Where Can I Buy The Strong Stuff-B&Q/Wickes Any Good?*Updated

Our old bunnies had their run built out of 2inch (diameter of the gap between the wire) square steel fencing. You couldn't cut it without using steel cutters and it was approx 4mm thick in circumference. It never rusted and was extremely sturdy.

I have not been able to find out where it came from and am still wondering if anyone else knows where i might get some... Have checked, wickes, wilko's, b and q, homebase etc.. but nothing...

If that is the type you are looking for then if you find it let me know!!

the stuff we're using to do our run is 12 gauge mesh - whatever that means. Got it through hubby's work so I will try to find out what company it came from. he works in a powder coating company, so he coated it with brown coating to match the summerhouse. It looks fab.

Gauge is the thickness - the lower the number, the thicker (like earrings). Chickenwire is something like 19g

Welded mesh comes in different thicknesses which determines the strength - see below from weld-mesh.com
Common Applications
Light Mesh 19g = 1mm dia wire 23g = 0.7mm dia wire
Suitable for bird feeders and louvers in 23g and rabbit and chicken pens in 19g
Medium Mesh
14g = 2mm dia wire 16g = 1.6mm dia wire
Suitable for fruit caging, stronger chicken and rabbit pens if you have a problem with foxes or vermin and some light fencing in 14g

The stuff in rolls in B&Q etc is usually the thinner stuff which I personally wouldn't use. Wickes sell a sturdier version in 3' x 2' sheets for £5 but it's cheaper by the roll online elsewhere.
Mike

Thanks everyone. Thanks Mike - that's been a big help :thumb:
If it's a huge amount £ difference I'd be interested to know where online sells it where I don't have to purchase a large roll (as we don't want a huge amount) & particularly if they offer a speedy delivery??

Last edited:
*Bump*

Still after the websites where I can get weldmesh cheaper - although huge rolls no good as don't need heaps.

Pepsi's People have pm'd you but not sure if you're receiving them :wave:

Back