• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wabbit Wednesday - What's your bunnies dinner?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I though it would be helpful to see what a bunny eats on a typical day, so if you could, how about taking a photo of your rabbits dinner and posting it?

Breakfast:
e7asudy8.jpg

mu8e2egu.jpg

Plus fresh hay!
A fenugreek crunchie at lunchtime, along with some excel dandelion and timothy hay forage.

yqune5yd.jpg

eparupe8.jpg

naqy2aru.jpg

9amu6uvu.jpg

This are old pictures of veggies/forage.

They don't get them until night time now, will get some pictures later :D

Last edited:
Not got any photos yet but my bunnies get breakfast and dinner with a veg snack in between times.

I toss the pellets onto hay which forces them to hunt for it and eat some hay too. I also give them a variety of greens on different days. Today is kale, again scatter fed amongst the hay. Sometimes it is parsley, dandelion leaves (I cultivate those in the garden by not doing any weeding :D), rocket, coriander or spring greens. I prefer to feed herbs and light leafy things compared to heavier foods like cabbage and broccoli.

When he can be bothered to wake up, most of his food now is forage (mainly dried by his loving staff) with enough SS pellets to suit a bunny half his weight and some veg (chicory and celery). Will get some dinner time pics but, in the mean time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of mine have different diets due to various health issues or to their age. The majority have just hay/Readigrass and herbs/forage with a tiny portion of Rabbit Royale. But some need more than that and so they have Fibafirst Sticks and A+P Pellets too.

No pictures but:

Breakfast - 1/2 egg cup of SS pellets per bunny (adult one - the youngsters get a bit more) and a couple of Fibresticks.

Afternoon tea - about 1/4 egg cup of SS pellets - and a fenugreek when they come out for free ranch (woe betide me if I should forget the cruchie:shock:)

Evening snack - dried dandelion and herbs and fibre sticks. Some of them get some veggies too.

Bedtime snack - a very small handful of muesli (one of my hands - which are child size) (and yes - I know muesli is a bit naughty but they do love it and it is only a very small part of their daily diet - it's like me having a couple of squares of fruit and nut chocolate at bedtime too :oops::thumb:)

And loads and loads of hay of course.

My bun lives on grass and hay and in the morning and evening a small pinch of excel pellets sprinkled in a pile of veg and grass so she has to work for it!

Then she tends to just graze from breakfast until I feed her once more before bed .

Breakfast - mountains of hay, any broccoli stalks/banana skins/cauliflower leaves/small amount of carrot peelings, if no veggies then rosemary/dandelion leaves/hawthorn/bramble.

Fenugreek crunchie/homemade treat bought from BARC (the bunnies think the BARC ones are binkytastic :thumb:)

Evening meal - more mountains of hay, plus an 4 eggcupfuls of excel junior/dwarf pellets (1 per bun as they're a quad)

They're not juniors but they are manic bunnies and that pellet suits them so I'm keeping them on that one.

My big healthy lops have a forage supper, tonight consisting of willow, beech, hawthorn, apple leaf and bramble.

76E27891-8C68-49AD-909A-A8EB3A863A30_zpshnxsxe6v.jpg

The baby bunnies have a similar selection, plus a little raspberry leaf, wild rose leaf and some SS pellets. They already know which bits they like best and go rummaging through the pile to find their favourite, often resulting in two of them eating opposite ends of the same willow leaf :lol:

01E31925-406A-4290-B3A6-1DE9D4F8E3D7_zpsqkj4shm5.jpg

Apologies for the mess, this was literally half a day's worth...can you imagine how hideous it must have been for them when there were 9 bunnies in a space a third of the size, without any bedding/substrate and cleaned once a week (tops) :shock:

Just seen this so no pics as they're all put to bed!

Mornings they get one handful per bun of "veg" from the box of mixed veg and forage. This is always a big mix of (some of) cabbage, greens, kale, brocoli, rocket, spinach, hawthorn, plantain, dandelion, milk thistle, apple, willow, mallow.. etc.

Nights they get 25g per bun of excel, some in bowls and some scattered. That's at 5pm ish. Then before we go to bed they get large top up of hay (they have cages with the whole floor hay and trays and Josey's with more hay so they never finish all of the hay but they still get excited for the new fresh hay in the evening! ).

Brekky is grass and sometimes forage (roses atm)

Supper is grass, hay and pellets (handful per rabbit, two for the belgian hares) and sometimes veg or forage (kale, spring greens and beetroot leaves tonight).

I often put some grass in during the day as well.

morning mabel has one large ss pellet :shock: gosh I feel mean now, sox has 4, they then get a huge amount of fresh meadow hay

timothy herbal hay topped up regularly during day

evening - herbs, greens , and hay topped up for night with timothy hay

grass on days they go out
sometimes the odd treat of fenugreek crunchies or similar

(their main diet is hay based)

Back