• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Vac, do you vaccinate against it?

Do you vaccinate against VHD?

• Yes

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
I think its very common in my area, when Jellys babies found homes (were talking four years ago now before i knew about rescues) , the four that went to people who stopped vaccinating after the first one...died. the four that are still regulary vaccinated inc my Domino, are all alive. coincidence, i think not seeing as they were all just found dead.

i am in a tricky situation because my vet only does Cylap and Pebbles had a nasty reaction to it, so im hoping to find another local vet who will give her Lapinject, if its not too much more ill get all three lapinjected but i dont know of any local that do it.

I feel as though my rabbits are safe when they're vaccinated. My vet gave Beano Cylap last time (she is young so has only had one) and never had any reaction to it but I'm worried now I've read it. It says on my rescue bun Gordon's health certificate he had Lapinject so can I ask my vet to change Beano to Lapinject? Do you think they do both? Sorry, I don't want to 'steal' the thread! I'm pleased you are getting your bunnies vaccinated, I think it is very important :)

I think its very common in my area, when Jellys babies found homes (were talking four years ago now before i knew about rescues) , the four that went to people who stopped vaccinating after the first one...died. the four that are still regulary vaccinated inc my Domino, are all alive. coincidence, i think not seeing as they were all just found dead.

i am in a tricky situation because my vet only does Cylap and Pebbles had a nasty reaction to it, so im hoping to find another local vet who will give her Lapinject, if its not too much more ill get all three lapinjected but i dont know of any local that do it.

I don't know where in Essex you are but I expect Trinity is too far isn't it. Plus the bridge toll each way :evil:

I don't know where in Essex you are but I expect Trinity is too far isn't it. Plus the bridge toll each way :evil:

Yeh i can only really do local which is like Maldon, Witham, Tiptree etc. going to have a ring round when its nearer the time, i will still do cylap if i absolutely have to but would rather not. x

Yeh i can only really do local which is like Maldon, Witham, Tiptree etc. going to have a ring round when its nearer the time, i will still do cylap if i absolutely have to but would rather not. x

Oh gosh yeah, you're a loooong way from the bridge. I always think of this side of Essex cos it's where my Dad comes from :oops: I can totally understand that with Cylap.

I do, my vet has not seen a case for many years and thinks it is low risk however for me low risk does not mean no risk which is why I take my buns for vaccinations.

Oh gosh yeah, you're a loooong way from the bridge. I always think of this side of Essex cos it's where my Dad comes from :oops: I can totally understand that with Cylap.

it is big, i only know my little bubble ! :lol::lol:

I wouldnt want her to suffer with side effects especially the losing fur and balding but im not going to not vacc her, so ill just have to hope somewhere local will do it.

Yes.

Regarding your friend, it might be an idea to get a quick letter from your vet explaining why VHD/Myxi vaccines are so important, and/or a leaflet from the RWF about basic rabbit care (vaccines, friends, hutch/run sizes, diet etc.). It may be that your friend isn't taking you seriously but if it came from a "higher authority" as it were she might take a bit of notice. Of course, she might not, but it's worth a try, right? :)

AMETHYST

I have mine vaccinated yearly, until last year when he was far too ill to cope with VHD, & we only just fitted the myxi in.
There is a new type of VHD vaccine, Anivac. It isn't in a mineral oil suspension, so theoretically there could be fewer side effects.
Yes it should give complete protection.

Although the myxi vaccine doesn't give complete protection, 9 out of 10 buns who get myxi die if they don't get vaccinated; whereas only 1 out of 10 dies if they are vaccinated.

When I first went to my vets with my buns, she only advised myxi vaccs. I said that I had read on here that they should have VHD vaccs also, and she said that it would be a waste as "the disease was virtually unheard of in Scotland, its more prevelant in England", but I persisted and said I wanted it done anyway. 2 years later, and they issued leaflets advising VHD vaccs as there had been local cases. So I think the problem is that vets give misinformation. Personally, although there hasnt been cases locally that they know off, Id rather shut the barn door before the horse bolts...

My Vet has NEVER seen a case of VHD in clinical practice. BUT she always advises vaccination as she knows that the reason she has not seen a case is because most afflicted Rabbits have a 'sudden death' and the owners dont opt for a PM.

So just because your Vet may not see any/many cases of VHD does NOT mean that it isn't about. It is and it kills, usually within a few hours and in an awful way :cry:

I'm in West Yorkshire and I've always been advised to have both myxi and VHD vaccs.

My vet has also changed from cylap to lapinject over the last couple of years too so all good :)

Last edited:
I always vaccinate healthy rabbits against VHD. Those that have ill health are not done, because their immune system is already generally low and the vaccine (partic. the VHD) pushes their immunity even further.

The case was proved when we had an outbreak at Hopper Haven, and we HAD to get all the poorly rabbits vaccinated, as it was a gamble between then contracting VHD or falling foul to the vaccine.
We lost several buns post-VHD:cry:

I also had to get 3 of my own rabbits quickly vaccinated (in case I carried the disease home), and these were the 3 I had chosen not to vaccinate because of their health issues.

All 3 of them were very poorly post-VHD, and they all required months of veterinary care (2 of them still do)

All of the healthy rabbits showed no signs of any problems with the vaccs.

I always vaccinate my rabbits who are healthy. I do think they are sometimes a little subdued after their Vhd jab whereas they seem as active as normal with the myxi one. Nothing scientific, just what I've observed.

I always vaccinate my rabbits who are healthy. I do think they are sometimes a little subdued after their Vhd jab whereas they seem as active as normal with the myxi one. Nothing scientific, just what I've observed.

I've observed the same thing. I always vaccinate against both diseases.

Spenser has had the vaccine. He was off colour after it, but not to the extent of needing further veterinary treatment, and I will get him vaccinated again in May.

My elderly cat has been ill recently (thyroid problems, teeth removed etc) and his treatment had to come first before preventatives, so the buns haven't had their jabs for some time. Oren had his myxi today (VHD in two weeks) but Bandit wasn't vaccinated, the vet will assess her again in two weeks to see if she should be done or not. With the exception of the duration of the cat's treatment, ever since I've been told enough to pay for the vaccinations, the buns have had them.

my old vet had a VHD outbreak to deal with because the owner of 20 odd buns didnt have the money or didnt want to waste money vaccinating... after alot of heartbreak only two bunnies were saved :cry:

my vet wouldn't of allowed me not to vaccinate after she witnessed what happens when you don't.

that was in the Midlands last year if anyone around there hasn't vaccinated recently, VHD is very much alive there :wave:

Back