• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very overweight bun that only eats hay...

Graciee

Staff member
Anyone got any ideas? My vet is stumped [emoji38] and no she doesn't get a pile of pellets per day, she literally only gets hay [emoji38]

If she's only eating hay, then the only way you could manage this would be by increasing her exercise. Does she run around very much?

If she's only eating hay, then the only way you could manage this would be by increasing her exercise. Does she run around very much?
Nope she's very lazy, but Idk how to increase her exercise.. I mean I'm not gunna chase around a prey animal [emoji38] it's so difficult, Atticus has the exact same diet and conditions and is the perfect weight.. He does run around more though. He weighs 3kg and Clementine weighs 4.5kg.. It's ridiculous.. My vet mentioned about a few conditions that can cause weight gain, and is going to look into testing for them.. But idek. She's also got sludge in her bladder :( and is peeing in drips..

Make her work harder for the hay - hang it up so she has to stretch, put smaller amounts in different places so she has to move more, inside card tubes, on top of upended buckets, etc.

I've sort of got a similar problem with monster unit Lillian. She's a hefty clonker who, having been deliberately starved by her former owner, has now discovered life on the good side. The problem I have here is that she lives with Henry who is a whispy wee nethie at about 2k and has regular zoomies. I have to cater for both to feed and they both get pellets. Limiting pallets for me, means one will go without so Henry could end up losing weight. I don't pile in the pellets - they get a small handful at breakfast and another at nighttime. They have unlimited hay - which seems to be their least preferred option but they will nibble at. The rest of their diet is fresh greens, some fresh parsley and occasional slicce of carrot and spinach. The only bad thing here is carrot so that's restricted. Lillian doesn't do exercise and like you, I don't fancy chasing her round because that's not fair. She gets free range of the garden when it's not tipping it down but she likes to spend her days chilling - as most buns do. I know at the next vet visit, our vet will go booloo at Lillian's scale busting but far short of just forcing them to be stuck on hay (even though it should be 90% of their diet) doesn't feel right as Lillian is happy knowing she has food there. Psychologically for her, this is a massive positive and I risk damaging that fragile trust with her regarding food if I restict it more.

Maple Is getting quite heavy and she is pellet free. She does have forage though. I do think buns can gain weight from eating loads of hay (that's my personal opinion). Maple and Dennis have the same diet only Maple eats so much hay, pretty much all the time she is not asleep!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Make her work harder for the hay - hang it up so she has to stretch, put smaller amounts in different places so she has to move more, inside card tubes, on top of upended buckets, etc.
I like this idea, problem is she's like surrounded by the stuff, it's her floor, aswell as a pile to eat [emoji38]

I've sort of got a similar problem with monster unit Lillian. She's a hefty clonker who, having been deliberately starved by her former owner, has now discovered life on the good side. The problem I have here is that she lives with Henry who is a whispy wee nethie at about 2k and has regular zoomies. I have to cater for both to feed and they both get pellets. Limiting pallets for me, means one will go without so Henry could end up losing weight. I don't pile in the pellets - they get a small handful at breakfast and another at nighttime. They have unlimited hay - which seems to be their least preferred option but they will nibble at. The rest of their diet is fresh greens, some fresh parsley and occasional slicce of carrot and spinach. The only bad thing here is carrot so that's restricted. Lillian doesn't do exercise and like you, I don't fancy chasing her round because that's not fair. She gets free range of the garden when it's not tipping it down but she likes to spend her days chilling - as most buns do. I know at the next vet visit, our vet will go booloo at Lillian's scale busting but far short of just forcing them to be stuck on hay (even though it should be 90% of their diet) doesn't feel right as Lillian is happy knowing she has food there. Psychologically for her, this is a massive positive and I risk damaging that fragile trust with her regarding food if I restict it more.

Bless her :(

Yea it's so difficult, especially when she's been through something like that :(

Maple Is getting quite heavy and she is pellet free. She does have forage though. I do think buns can gain weight from eating loads of hay (that's my personal opinion). Maple and Dennis have the same diet only Maple eats so much hay, pretty much all the time she is not asleep!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Ah! See this is exactly it.. All four of mine eat copious amounts of hay... But Clementine never takes a break.. Like for reals, there's always hay in her mouth [emoji38]

She gets no forage, veg, pellets.. Does get the odd treat maybe twice a week? [emoji38] But that's it. She lives with Atticus who the vet checked and said he's a perfect weight, he get exactly the same diet as her.. So maybe it's something medical or it is just the hay...? Idek I'm not gunna limit hay, have to see what my vet says (they're gunna look into it) also her back legs.. Maybe they make her wanna lay more? She's fine on them though and doesn't seem in pain.. But obviously was a big op on both knees, maybe it's to do with that.. And the fact she couldn't move for a few months? So many factors to this I think [emoji38]

Back